C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L83/L98 head swap

Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

What does ^that^ have to do w/what the OP is asking about?? FYI, bored TB's won't gain you squat on a stock or stocish engine, and especially on a 350 CID sized engine.

Originally Posted by garyc4
Agree with you on the capability of vortec heads. But I am using either an X-ram or ported CFI manifold. Isn't there an intake port match issue in this case? I thought you had to have a vortec specific intake manifold.
There IS a port match issue when using any non-Vortec intake on "Vortec" or any high port head (Vortec, LT1, LT4, Fastburn...). It CAN be worked around, but unless you get into welding and grinding, the workarounds (stacked gaskets, porting with THIN flanges) are less than ideal. Most people would see the mismatch and conclude that the parts won't work together. They CAN work together, but reliability and flow is somewhat compromised. Still, the Vortec head is cheap, great and I've had pretty good results bolting a CFI intake to Vortec heads -using "workarounds". NOTE that Vortec heads have an entirely different bolt pattern for the intake and using an older intake on Vortec heads requires plugging the Vortec head bolt holes, and drilling/tapping new intake manifold bolt holes, in the head.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
garyc4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
eldlebrock produces a mainfold that mates the two generations.
for a CFI motor using throttle bodies?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM
garyc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84wannabezo6
I had my throttle bodies bored by extreme efi I am really going slow on this rebuild/refresh but the throttle bodies seem to be done very nicely but I still need a few weeks to finish so I cant comment on how they work yet.Ive taken a few pics but I havent posted any yet.
Thanks. I'd be interested in how it turns out. I'm going in that direction generally. With what I've learned here, and from taling with coupeguy and the dcs guys, I think I'll let the heads be for this iteration and bring the car back to life with the 85 pump i've bought, rebuilt throttle bodies (not bored yet becauss i don't think it will make a difference with this state of tune), and port the spare cfi manifold. I already have 1.6 rockers, gutted cat, a chip, and k&n filter from previous effort. I'll see what that feels like, and go from there.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
garyc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
What does ^that^ have to do w/what the OP is asking about?? FYI, bored TB's won't gain you squat on a stock or stocish engine, and especially on a 350 CID sized engine.

There IS a port match issue when using any non-Vortec intake on "Vortec" or any high port head (Vortec, LT1, LT4, Fastburn...). It CAN be worked around, but unless you get into welding and grinding, the workarounds (stacked gaskets, porting with THIN flanges) are less than ideal. Most people would see the mismatch and conclude that the parts won't work together. They CAN work together, but reliability and flow is somewhat compromised. Still, the Vortec head is cheap, great and I've had pretty good results bolting a CFI intake to Vortec heads -using "workarounds". NOTE that Vortec heads have an entirely different bolt pattern for the intake and using an older intake on Vortec heads requires plugging the Vortec head bolt holes, and drilling/tapping new intake manifold bolt holes, in the head.
thanks. thats what i was looking for. appreciate the info.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done it before..
No issues with any bolt locations.
I used a thicker felpro gasket, from memory a #1036.
Not ideal from a quench perspective, but it worked.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

for a CFI motor using throttle bodies?
No. What he meant was that Edelbrock makes intake manifolds for "Carb" applications and "TPI" applications in two versions; 1. for standard Chevy heads from '55 - '~mid '90s, and the other for "Vortec" heads, that has slightly raised ports.

Edelbrok doesn't make anything for the CFI platform; standard or "Vortec".

When you port your intake, port the WHOLE runner(s). From mouth to exit. You'll need to get a long grinding bit, and also a "drill bit extension" to reach all the way through. "Port matching" -which is about all most folks do, helps, but leaves a lot on the table. The more you grind out of that casting, the faster your car will go. It's THAT big of a restriction, in stock form.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM
garyc4
Advanced

No. What he meant was that Edelbrock makes intake manifolds for "Carb" applications and "TPI" applications in two versions; 1. for standard Chevy heads from '55 - '~mid '90s, and the other for "Vortec" heads, that has slightly raised ports.

Edelbrok doesn't make anything for the CFI platform; standard or "Vortec".

When you port your intake, port the WHOLE runner(s). From mouth to exit. You'll need to get a long grinding bit, and also a "drill bit extension" to reach all the way through. "Port matching" -which is about all most folks do, helps, but leaves a lot on the table. The more you grind out of that casting, the faster your car will go. It's THAT big of a restriction, in stock form.

to your first point - I knew that. My response just a gentle nudge to try to keep comments on topic.

to your second point - thanks, great input. I remember lots of porting details and pictures to with it back on crossfire injection vault, when i was considering this a few years back, but then life intervened, and now that site appears to have vanished. I will take your advice.

any opinions on ported cfi vs x-ram for stock moter and tb's, with 1.6 rr's and a hypertech chip? i've got an unused xram sitting in box also. another remnant from a few years back.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

any opinions on ported cfi vs x-ram for stock moter and tb's, with 1.6 rr's and a hypertech chip? i've got an unused xram sitting in box also. another remnant from a few years back.

X-Ram will be an improvement. If you live in a really cold part of the country, it may run poorly while warming up..
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

X-Ram will be an improvement over ann UNported, stock intake, for sure. I don't know anyone who's compared a stock, FULLY ported intake to the other options.

It is MY opinion (though I haven't tested back to back) that the FULLY ported stocker and an e-ram will perform about the same, except the Ported stocker will have better cold weather performance. The "plenum" in the X-ram is a joke, IMO. A bad joke.

The hypertech likely won't gain you a thing, and in fact I know several people who went slower with one. Spend your money and efforts elsewhere. Oops....you already have the Hypertech?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Any good head shop can weld up the top of the ports on your intake so that you won't have a huge vacuum leak if you decide to use the Fast Burns.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

If you're going that route, it would be smarter to weld up the roof of the intake runners and grind them higher. Better transition, and you're not defeating the purpose of the "high port" fastburn heads. Make the (Crappy) intake better...don't "dumb down" the good heads.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

If you're going that route, it would be smarter to weld up the roof of the intake runners and grind them higher. Better transition, and you're not defeating the purpose of the "high port" fastburn heads. Make the (Crappy) intake better...don't "dumb down" the good heads.

Very true!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L83/L98 head swap