C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Corvette owner having problems. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 PM
BooBoo231
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Corvette owner having problems. Please help!

Hello everyone. I am the proud owner of an 89 Corvette. Its a rare gray metallic with light gray interior. It has 48,xxx mi, but needs a little work. This car was garage kept its whole life, until the owner passed away a few years ago. It has sat outside ever since. The major problems are my anti lock light is on in the dash. I put some miles on the car, and it went away. Then all the sudden, out of nowhere, I get in my car and as soon as I put on the lights I get a constant beeping noise, and the interior lights stay on for a few minutes even after I am driving the car. I used a power washer on the car to get all the dust off the engine and all, but it was fine for a week after that. I dont know what is going on. Also, my car was idleing at like 1,400 rpm!! when I first bought it it idled between 6 and 7. I would appreciate any advice that can be given. I bought the car for $5800, and thought I got a good deal. I am starting to think I made a mistake?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds like your tachometer is having problems. Do a search for tachometer problems and you'll see that some guys were having problems with their tachometers saying the engine was turning at 6,000 rpm. The module may be going bad. I bought my 1990 coupe in 2004 and then in 2011 the tachometer started registering an rpm that was 1,000 turns faster than what it used to be in various gears.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 AM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just because they have low miles doesnt mean they are in great shape. In fact sitting, is worse than driving. That being said, it sounds to me like a vacuum leak. Seams like one of the more common problems with cars that sit, is the intake manifold gasket. Also get in there and check all the hoses. My car also sat for 2 years, and I had 2 split lines. Stuff like rubber, is more effected by age, rather than miles. h
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

As stated, look for a vacuum leak, regarding high idle. Check every line and connection. There is a small one on bottom of throttle body(drivers side) that goes to EGR solenoid. Easy to miss when looking at all the lines.
In the pic below, where it says to HVAC, that lines goes to a check valve and tees off to HVAC controller in cabin and the other to cruise control and vacuum storage tank. Follow those and check them all.

As for your electrical problem, sounds like a burnt gages fuse.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You probably powerwashed a vacuum hose loose somewhere.

The major problems are my anti lock light is on in the dash.
Do you mean your ABS light stays on?

If it sat outside for a few years without running, you will want to change all the fluids:oil, tranny, differential, brake(flush), coolant(flush)

Also check the tires for rot.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by AirForceOne!
You probably powerwashed a vacuum hose loose somewhere.

Do you mean your ABS light stays on?

If it sat outside for a few years without running, you will want to change all the fluids:oil, tranny, differential, brake(flush), coolant(flush)

Also check the tires for rot.
My vacuum lines going to the MAP sensor, and EGR, both crumbled when I touched them.

Ya, and I had one tire, that was soooo cracked, it shook the front end. Hence the 00' wheels, with new tires, off CL for $500. (one wheel was bad, (not sealing)but fixed by me) Then I sold the stockers on CL for $300. h

Last edited by hemivett; 12-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Originally Posted by BooBoo231
Hello everyone. I am the proud owner of an 89 Corvette. Its a rare gray metallic with light gray interior. It has 48,xxx mi, but needs a little work. This car was garage kept its whole life, until the owner passed away a few years ago. It has sat outside ever since. The major problems are my anti lock light is on in the dash. I put some miles on the car, and it went away. Then all the sudden, out of nowhere, I get in my car and as soon as I put on the lights I get a constant beeping noise, and the interior lights stay on for a few minutes even after I am driving the car. I used a power washer on the car to get all the dust off the engine and all, but it was fine for a week after that. I dont know what is going on. Also, my car was idleing at like 1,400 rpm!! when I first bought it it idled between 6 and 7. I would appreciate any advice that can be given. I bought the car for $5800, and thought I got a good deal. I am starting to think I made a mistake?

Does it look like this by chance:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This one is mine. I paid about the same with 60k miles two years ago. I've had all the little problems...head gasket, wheel bearings, u-joints, vacuum leaks and so on. Feel free to PM me for help on these. I am going to be sorting out the HVAC later this spring.

I'd love to see pictures of your car!

Dave
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 400 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I bought the car for $5800, and thought I got a good deal. I am starting to think I made a mistake?
No mistake ... but every C4 will require some work.

The suggestions to look at vacuum lines is a good one.

IIRC, the interior lights will stay on for a little while after you turn off the car.

Do you know if an aftermarket alarm was installed by the PO? Look under the dash for rat's nest of wires. Old aftermarket alarms can cause lots of weird electrical problems.

Hang in there. Gray on gray is an awesome color combo
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 AM
BooBoo231
Advanced

Nice car slow lane! My car looks a little darker, but I haven't seen it on a sunny day yet! All we have had is rain. People say it looks a little brownish when its cloudy. The code is exactly "WA-L9192 U9192 902" Its way too light in color to be the charcoal metallic, but looks darker than yours. The car is all original with only the bumpers being repainted. Weird?? Thank you guys for the replies. I will start going through the lines. My other main concern is the beeping noise when I turn on my lights. Then, the interior lights stay on for like 3 or 4 minutes after I am driving. Its soooo annoying! Any guesses would be great
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 AM
BooBoo231
Advanced

Oh, I just saw Agent 86 said it may be a burnt fuse. I will check than out. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

FYI those hard plastic vaccum lines crumble as soon as you touch them. Had an 88 that I wound up using a ton of vaccum hose on to replace all those hard lines.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM
hemivett
Pro

My other main concern is the beeping noise when I turn on my lights. Then, the interior lights stay on for like 3 or 4 minutes after I am driving. Its soooo annoying! Any guesses would be great
Sounds to me like the "ignition switch". It thinks the car is off, and your headlights are on. You can un plug the dinger, but that switch effects a lot of things. I was getting all kinds of weird codes, and airbag, and ABS lights coming on, and off. Eventually she started dieing on the side of the road, (luckily I had a remote start, that would act as an ignition switch, and I could get home) I changed the switch, and all has been good for the last 2 years. h
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

my paint code is L9191 U9191 902 - I'll double check my Corvette Black Book when I get home to verify the 3 digit code on the build sheet. I'm pretty sure there were 225 in this color. We can verify yours too. My build sheet is affixed to the underside of my console lid - yours probably is too.

These pictures were taken on an overcast day. In direct sunlight mine has a strong metal flake and a subtle gold hue. It is most attractive in that light.

I am contemplating a repaint as my car has some issues - I am considering mixing a custom derivative of this color with some extra flake (more than stock but not lowrider or bass boat level) and better C.C. than the 89 original obviously.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

specs can be seen here for your car. Welcome to the forum.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1989-corvette1.htm

http://www.vettefacts.com/C4/1989.aspx

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 12-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
BooBoo231
Advanced

It does have an aftermarket alarm! Ill bet I kicked the switch under the dash. That makes perfect sense My key is also a pain sometimes to get out of the ignition. Im sure thats not a cheap fix. All and all I do love this car. Its very fun to drive. I just ordered a manaflow exhaust system from the cats foreward. It has a brand spankin new system fro the cats back.

Last edited by BooBoo231; 12-19-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
BooBoo231
Advanced

I removed the fuse, and the noise stopped. Now I just dont have a radio. Haha.....
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
hemivett
Pro

Im sure thats not a cheap fix. .
Actually, not too bad. I havent done my Vett yet, but Ive done several. You will need some special tools, (Steering Wheel puller, and a lock plate remover) and some patients. This will get you to the lock cylinder. On newer car you'd be at the switch, on older ones, this will get you to the cylinder, but the elctronics are lower down. hope this helps. Do it yourself. You'll know the job has been to your satisfaction, and you'll get a sense of pride, for job well done! h

PS. There are lots of videos on U-tube about this

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette owner having problems. Please help!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
BooBoo231
Advanced

Do you guys think iy may be the ignition itself? The car thinks it is off because the ignition is out of wack? It does seem logical. Would I have to get a special one to match my keys?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you test the gages fuse ?

When ignition is on, power is sent to chime module and courtesy light timer.
That signal voltage goes through gages fuse, fuse blows and modules don't know key is in RUN.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The color codes for 89 show Code 90 as Gray Metallic with 162 coupes produced and Code 96 as Charcoal Metallic with 1,066 coupes produced.
Interior data shows Base Leather Gray for 2,073 coupes and Sport Leather Gray for 217 coupes.
The sport seats have switches in the bolsters to allow the seats to mold to your body.
I'm not sure if you have noticed this yet but there is a label on the underside of your center console lid that show all your options. If you have RPO# Z51 then you are one fortunate Corvette owner.

Quick Reply: New Corvette owner having problems. Please help!