C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VATS Key Resistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM
woza01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS Key Resistance

My 88 Callaway only arived here with 1 Ignition Key...This is obviously less than desirable !

So, I need to get one or two spares, but I need to first get the Resistance reading from the key using a Multimeter...Now...Im pretty damn hopeless with these things, so Ive posted a pic of what it showed....

Now...according the the information in the following link....It would appear that my key would be a #12, as the resistance value falls between 5798 and 6302

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...lat&Number=557

Can anybody confirm that this info is correct before I order my keys ?

Thanks heaps !!

Woza !
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Why not take your car and key to a locksmith. He can make a new key and you can test it in your car to see if it works. Here in the USA it is not expensive. I do not know about down there.
Also, if the meter is correct your key reads 6190 ohms.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
woza01
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Why not take your car and key to a locksmith. He can make a new key and you can test it in your car to see if it works. Here in the USA it is not expensive. I do not know about down there.
Also, if the meter is correct your key reads 6190 ohms.
I'd do that if I could...all the locksmith can do is measure the resistance for me....All the places Ive contacted dont have the Key Blanks, so i just need to e sure what it is so I can buy the correct key(s) blacnks..then i can get them cut here easy...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by woza01
I'd do that if I could...all the locksmith can do is measure the resistance for me....All the places Ive contacted dont have the Key Blanks, so i just need to e sure what it is so I can buy the correct key(s) blacnks..then i can get them cut here easy...
I see it as 6190 also BUT since you're in a "mail order" situation I believe I might check it with another meter and ask the vendor to confirm what is sent you.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
woza01
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I see it as 6190 also BUT since you're in a "mail order" situation I believe I might check it with another meter and ask the vendor to confirm what is sent you.
Good advice....Ive already checked with another meter 'just in case', and it is the same value....so please confirm if you agree with me that this is a #12 key (based on the link in my initial post)

Cheers

Last edited by woza01; 12-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Good advice....Ive already checked with another meter 'just in case', and it is the same value....so please confirm if you agree with me that this is a #12 key (based on the link in my initial post)

Cheers
Is the Callaway a recent purchase? If so congratulations! Yes the VATS value would be 12 and it looks like the least expensive purchase might well be eBay. Is that correct or is there less expensive sources? You might want to do maybe a couple door blanks also. For those you should only need the "key-way" code that is on the key. It's a letter code.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
woza01
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Is the Callaway a recent purchase? If so congratulations! Yes the VATS value would be 12 and it looks like the least expensive purchase might well be eBay. Is that correct or is there less expensive sources? You might want to do maybe a couple door blanks also. For those you should only need the "key-way" code that is on the key. It's a letter code.

Thanks for the Confirmation !....#12 it is. Yes....I will also be getting a cuple of spare door keys...but I was unaware that I needed to find the code for those too !...so thans for the Heads-Up !

Yep....I imported the Callaway in March 2012. Unfortunatel It still isnt on the road, because It was missing F&R lenses from the Aerobody - Australian Compliance requires an Amber Indicator on each side at the rear, so I had to get Callaway to make me up a set...only taken 10 months !!!....but what other choice do I have !

Anyway, here are some pics of my car...FYI, it is 1988-050.....an interetsing bit of trivia is that the VERY NEXT CAR that callaway built, wasteh Famous Sledgehammer !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/intr...australia.html
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Thanks for the Confirmation !....#12 it is. Yes....I will also be getting a cuple of spare door keys...but I was unaware that I needed to find the code for those too !...so thans for the Heads-Up !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/intr...australia.html
Quite a "fine piece"!!!

I don't recall the door key-way/groove sequencing but there would be a letter B, D, H, or K on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
vittal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same situation when my car arrived. Only had one ignition key.

Found the VATS web page with the information used a multimeter just like yours and my reading was within the tolerances so I ordered 4 new blanks and took them to the locksmith tested them and all works fine.
I measured a few times to make sure and cleaned the resistor terminals before measuring. But it might be a good idea to measure with another meter if yours isn't working right. The blanks don't come cheep.

Get notified of new replies

To VATS Key Resistance

Quick Reply: VATS Key Resistance