C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Start of Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM
drjimmy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Start of Turbo Project

I finally got off my butt and starting installing my turbo. My welds look like crap but I have not welded since high school

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/u...3D100_3282.jpg

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/u...3D100_3281.jpg

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/u...3D100_3283.jpg

Last edited by drjimmy; 12-19-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey- it's cool that you've gotten started! try to invest as much time into it as you can early! I know a lot of people run out of "steam" when a project takes too long and weeks quickly turn into years!!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 AM
383t/a
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. Looks like you will have a stout lil rocket... I'll be watchin'
Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 PM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Is that where it will be mounted? Will that fit under the hood? I have toyed with the single turbo idea how many HP are you looking to gain? Please keep us up on your progress
Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 PM
drjimmy
Instructor

Originally Posted by shamdave
Is that where it will be mounted? Will that fit under the hood? I have toyed with the single turbo idea how many HP are you looking to gain? Please keep us up on your progress
It definitely fits there. Spent a while positioning it and playing with the brackets. Closed the hood and reached up from the bottom to feel for clearence. Hood is stock. I only plan to get ~100HP out of it. If I get more its a bonus.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drjimmy
It definitely fits there. Spent a while positioning it and playing with the brackets. Closed the hood and reached up from the bottom to feel for clearence. Hood is stock. I only plan to get ~100HP out of it. If I get more its a bonus.
Please keep me up on your progress I am interested in doing the same thing to mine I found a Turbo T28 Garret for a good price but will need to fab up everything
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please keep me up on your progress I am interested in doing the same thing to mine I found a Turbo T28 Garret for a good price but will need to fab up everything
that's a tiny turbo dude! Too small even if you ran two.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
that's a tiny turbo dude! Too small even if you ran two.
See I had no Idea What size should I look for
Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
drjimmy
Instructor

See I had no Idea What size should I look for
What are your power goals? There used to be a program called Turbo Calc. It will get you close. You will need to learn how to read compressor maps to choose the most efficient turbo for your application.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drjimmy
What are your power goals? There used to be a program called Turbo Calc. It will get you close. You will need to learn how to read compressor maps to choose the most efficient turbo for your application.
I would like to be around 400+ at the rear wheels
Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I would like to know what you are going to do for headers to the turbo.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

I would like to be around 400+ at the rear wheels
2 t3/t4 hybrids will get you

on almost a stock l98.

major mods would be 355 cubes to chage out the pistons to turbo lower compression pistons. Large tube runners and base for the TPI.
turbo cam.
the rest are stock l98 parts worked over.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
2 t3/t4 hybrids will get you

on almost a stock l98.

major mods would be 355 cubes to chage out the pistons to turbo lower compression pistons. Large tube runners and base for the TPI.
turbo cam.
the rest are stock l98 parts worked over.
So how much would all that cost?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:41 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

So how much would all that cost?
I dont know what jerry paid for this stuff. But it is about the cheapest way to go this fast. he really didn't go all out on stuff and it worked out. Most guys including myself would build the engine up stout and then get every single top end part to control it.

Joby is abother guy. Check out his posts. 84 vette with a stock bottom end and a volvo turbo making just about the same power as a new ZR1.

And with any turbo you install. cheap or not. You have to upgrade a few things. the bolts on the bottom end will fail first. Mainly rod bolts. You need something to control fuel and spark (jerry used a tech II). you need to upgrade the fuel system (jerry installed twin 255 pumps). If you run high compression on "high" boost you will get detonation which will tear up your engine. So you need to deal with that. So jerry installed pistons only, this allowed him to drop compression and run a stronger piston with a taller crown to protect the top ring.
The C5/6 boosted crowd adds meth injection to deal with it.

I purchased this turbo set up from jerry and now I see how it was done. He used block hugger headers, then they go into J pipes. the J pipe puts the turbos next to the valve covers. wastegates are mounted at the bottom of the J pipes. It was a very clever way to do it cheap. sure the headers may **** out in time from heat. but they cost what... another 100 bucks.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
I dont know what jerry paid for this stuff. But it is about the cheapest way to go this fast. he really didn't go all out on stuff and it worked out. Most guys including myself would build the engine up stout and then get every single top end part to control it.

Joby is abother guy. Check out his posts. 84 vette with a stock bottom end and a volvo turbo making just about the same power as a new ZR1.

And with any turbo you install. cheap or not. You have to upgrade a few things. the bolts on the bottom end will fail first. Mainly rod bolts. You need something to control fuel and spark (jerry used a tech II). you need to upgrade the fuel system (jerry installed twin 255 pumps). If you run high compression on "high" boost you will get detonation which will tear up your engine. So you need to deal with that. So jerry installed pistons only, this allowed him to drop compression and run a stronger piston with a taller crown to protect the top ring.
The C5/6 boosted crowd adds meth injection to deal with it.

I purchased this turbo set up from jerry and now I see how it was done. He used block hugger headers, then they go into J pipes. the J pipe puts the turbos next to the valve covers. wastegates are mounted at the bottom of the J pipes. It was a very clever way to do it cheap. sure the headers may **** out in time from heat. but they cost what... another 100 bucks.

WOW thats nice!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
no cents racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good...keep at it!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad to see that guys are still upgrading their C4's. Keep it up, I'll be watchin. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Start of Turbo Project

Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM
drjimmy
Instructor

Still working at it.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...3D100_3303.jpg

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...3D100_3304.jpg

Last edited by drjimmy; 10-13-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you want to doc the whole build and have it featured forever on the web just shoot me a pm. a few of us are building www.turboinstall.net over the next year or so with turbo installation articles and walk throughs. a couple hondas are lined up for the summer but not a single corvette or mustang.

completed pages will look similar to:

http://www.turboinstall.net/general-...a/drive-axles/

so, if you want to do a perma build sheet online that of course gives you credit for everything and shows off your car, just let me know and i'll make it happen if you supply the pics and details

i think it would be awesome personally. there's just so little doc'd information on turbo'ing a c4. where to buy what, problems you might run into, the whole deal.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
drjimmy
Instructor

I'll finish it first and if it works, I'll document it

Quick Reply: Start of Turbo Project