C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

why 2" headers for LSx, but not SBC/ LTx... ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Now that is posting like a boss my friend.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you custom make that plenum or can one be purchased somewhere?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:15 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

to answer the OP's orginal question
this guy just post a pic of his 2in headers

rklessdriver wrote:
My new Headers arrived on Christmas Eve....

These are monsters compared to what you guys are use to seeing.

2" primary tube
3.5" collector

Jere and Judy Stahl were wonderful to deal with on these.
Will
http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/mod...19255&forum=56
Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
Now that is posting like a boss my friend.
I'm not usually confrontational about this stuff but the "LSX superiority" stuff is just a bunch of fan boys spouting off about what they have read and seen on the internetz...

No reason to sugar coat it when I have the hardware sitting in my garage and everybody (that's important in the scene) know my cars are the genuine article.

Originally Posted by theseal
Did you custom make that plenum or can one be purchased somewhere?
Mine sheetmetal TB adapter was custom built many yrs ago, but now there are companies that do or will make them for anyone..

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/perform...ake-elbow.html

http://www.6061.com/

Will
Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Back to the orginal topic of the thread.

2" Primary tube headers for the SBC/LTX in a C4 Corvette. These were made by Stahl Headers for me.

As far intakes worth a crap fitting under the hood. On my 1984 last season I ran a Pro Products Hurricane single plane intake with a nitrous plate and a QFT Q Series 950 carb and it comes right to the top of the factory hood. That intake is taller than a 2925 Super Victor, a Victor E, Victor jr, and Team G. It is identical to the Chevy 23* Bowtie and Dart single planes.

Orginally my 84 had a little forward facing hood scoop that was only 2" tall.... You can see it in this pic. All that engine above fit under it.

Rules changes forced me to put the big cowl induction scoop I have on it now. If not for the class rules about "no forward facing hood scoop" I would have kept the little scoop it had.

If you wanted to stay EFI on the intake then do what I have on my 1992 6spd.

Totally flat hood. Car looks completely stock when I want it to. You would never know THIS was living under the hood. 487RWHP and 24mpg, normally aspriated, on 93 octane pump gas and I drive it in the worst traffic in the USA (Washington DC).

BTW I have NEVER been outrun by LSX power in either of my Corvettes. Taken plenty of 500+RWHP LSX $$$ with my the 92 thou....

Will
Sorry to hijack

Will,

Are you using the stock OBD1 computer or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
Sorry to hijack

Will,

Are you using the stock OBD1 computer or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Steve
No worries Steve - This thread is a train wreck at this point anyway.

I assume your asking abou the 1992 6spd? On it I am still running the stock 92 OBD1 computer/ECM. It has the Moates adapter board and uses a "SF512" chip. Ed Hutchings tuned it for me.

I thought about doing something else - Maybe aftermarket or maybe LSX computer but honestly the OBD1 does fine. Little quirkey sometimes if I buzz it much over 7,000RPM but the driveability is very good and everything stock in the dash works. In the end everytime I look at the $$$ to do something else (computer wise) it just dosen't add up to a big enough gain for the $$$.

Of course the 1984 is a cave man (carburetor).
Will
Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume your asking abou the 1992 6spd? On it I am still running the stock 92 OBD1 computer/ECM. It has the Moates adapter board and uses a "SF512" chip. Ed Hutchings tuned it for me.

I thought about doing something else - Maybe aftermarket or maybe LSX computer but honestly the OBD1 does fine. Little quirkey sometimes if I buzz it much over 7,000RPM but the driveability is very good and everything stock in the dash works. In the end everytime I look at the $$$ to do something else (computer wise) it just dosen't add up to a big enough gain for the $$$.

Will
Have you thought about using the Megasquirt?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Have you thought about using the Megasquirt?
Yes, I have looked into it.

I just don't think it will do anything better than what I already have honestly.

I mean the car already has way more HP than I can fully use with the stock suspension and 6spd tranny..... runs an easy 128mph in the 1/4 in street trim on street tires. If I go with some real tires and short exhaust - there's way more in it, but the 6spd is so hard on the rear end at the track, it's just not worth beating the car up.

I have taken so much $$$$ around here, that no one in 3 states (VA, MD, DC) will touch the car for an honest race, so theres really no reason to try and make the car any faster. Besides if I need something faster - I have the 84... beating up on the 92 for nothing is why I built the 84 in the first place. The 92 is such a nice car - I never should have let it get this out of control in the first place.

As it sits today the 92 brings down 24mpg on trips and I drive it anywhere and everywhere without worry.... AC blasting, set the criuse and go where ever. Heck the car has been together in it's current form since 2007....

When I look at wiring everything up, ditching bypassing the CCM stuff or wiring it in piggy pack... seems like a bunch of work for nothing at this point.

The MAIN sucky thing about the OBD1 computer is tuning it for engine changes... epsc something as radical as my car but Ed is very good with them, so I as long as I'm willing to pay him I don't have to worry about that end of it.

I have some new headers and exhaust for the car.... I'm just hoping to quite the exhaust noise down a bit and put nicer stainless headers on it. Next year I plan to install that stuff and change the camshaft in the car to make the powerband a little more "driver friendly". "De-tune" it back to 470-480RWHP. That will be the last thing I ever do to the drivetrain in 92 - Other than drive and enjoy it.
Will
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Will
Good to know. My concern was if I stayed with the LTx would the OBD 1 work-and you prove that it does! The cost of the MSD Atomic is over 2K. That money can get me my heads. One day I would like to talk with you about an LTx build. My solid axle conversion is just about completed and for now I will keep what I have (LT1 with Tri-Y LT headers 1.6 rockers) and add a cam and Electric WP.

Thanks for the response!
Steve

Quick Reply: why 2" headers for LSx, but not SBC/ LTx... ?