C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Last chance on the hood!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 PM
COPO
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Last chance on the hood!!!

Talked to ACI today about making a hood like mine. Speak up if you would be interested!! Bret seems to like it and needs head count for interest. They are a vendor here and make a nice product. All I ask for is for it to be called COPO
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it , And I hate hood scoops .
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Your stuff is smokin thanks for sharing it!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
COPO
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I haven't been on here in a while and there is always new members coming aboard...couple pics

Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default COPO Hood

Is that scoop functional? If so it would be a great way to get heat out of engine compartment. Are those black wagon wheels on your car? They look good
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I wont be buying a hood anytime in the near future, but, IMHO your hood is the best looking aftermarket design I have seen. It looks like somethng that could have come from the factory. Very good taste. The only other one I would consider would be the high rise design like toledo makes. But that would just be, if I needed it for function, ie. blower or high rise intake. Again, ill bet your design would sell more than the others.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by COPO
Talked to ACI today about making a hood like mine. Speak up if you would be interested!! Bret seems to like it and needs head count for interest. They are a vendor here and make a nice product. All I ask for is for it to be called COPO
Wow...I have to say that is a great looking hood, and I also hate most aftermarket hoods and body panels on the C4's. Where did the one in the pics come from? is it a prototype?

I do have a couple questions.

* I would also LOVE to know if it is functional? Would be great if is it!

* Is there any loss in clearances under that area? (I'm running a supercharger with an intercooler)

* What is the cost?

* Would it come painted in factory colors or just primed?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I love that hood make it anyways it will sell guaranteed.
If I had a C4 Id spring for one.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scootin_Z
Wow...I have to say that is a great looking hood, and I also hate most aftermarket hoods and body panels on the C4's. Where did the one in the pics come from? is it a prototype?

I do have a couple questions.

* I would also LOVE to know if it is functional? Would be great if is it!

* Is there any loss in clearances under that area? (I'm running a supercharger with an intercooler)

* What is the cost?

* Would it come painted in factory colors or just primed?

Thanks!

A lot of people here seem to be asking if Copos hood is functional or if the hood to be manufactured would be functional. I think it may be beneficial to clarify a little more what "Functional" in this case means.

I think most people mean is it funtional as in does it actually open up into the underhood area?

I however am curious if the hood to be manufactured would be functional as far as mating to you stock (or included aftermarket) airbox. I would LOVE to see that thing be made a true ram air. Especially since the ram air that goes through the front lisence plate area is no longer made. Why should the Camaro SS and WS6 be the only ones with functional ram air? Doesnt the front scoop on the C6 ZO6 mate up to the air box for a ram air effect?

In a sense, this is just free horsepower. I remember an article a long time ago about a guy who had a C4 ZR1. I beleive he had done a dyno run beforehand to get a base line and I am pretty sure the car was bone stock with the exception of perhaps mufflers.

He then installed the ram air kit that went through the front lisence plate area. I believe the gain was only maybe 1-2RWHP

BUT!, here is the great part. On the next run he held an 80mph leaf blower up close to the lisence plate area. Keep in mind it was no sealed up to the air intake. Just help up next to it. The result? 11 additional rwhp!

This may not sound very amazing to you but you have to think about the big picture. Think about if he was ACTUALLY driving 80MPH, he probably would have gained a little more. What about if he was on the drag strip and trapping well over 110mph? How much more would it be then? Now keep in mind this was a pretty stock LT5. Yes I know they are close to 400 from the factory (375-400) But even if you had an LT1 or LT4. Imagine how much more that ram air effect would help if your heads were ported and polished and opened up. What if you were already making OVER 400 flywheel HP with a stock ain intake or just a cut lid?

Another thing to consider is the ram air kit through the front lisence plate would be picking up air a lot closer to the road which would be a lot warmer air than a hood scoop picking up air a little higher that probably wasnt radiating heat from off the pavement. This could possibly translate into even MORE power.

One more thing just to get your drooling. What if you had an LS motor swap? Those things breath and flow exceptionally well and making 400-500 flywheel HP with one is almost childsplay now days it seems. Can you imagine how much better a 500HP LS motor would benefit from a ram air setup?

I know this is a long post but I just wanted to point out how beneficial I think Copos design could be if it were to be made functional as a ram air setup as well as just a magnificiently goreous cosmetic addition alone. I have seen underhood pictures of his hood and it DOES indeed open up into the engine bay and COPO, correct me if I am wrong but I believe at one point you said your could easily be made into a sealed ram air even though you hadnt set it up that way just yet? I think you said you would give thought to doing that once you had your new LS motor in?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice!

I would be interested... and request that there is some serious consideration about incorporating Greenwood-esque louvers as those are proven to be functional. Would really complete the "airflow" pathways under the hood!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I like the look and also like the Greenwood style vent idea. It would be great if that were a functional ram-air setup, but it looks like it passes over the air filter setup.

While you're at it, raising the bulge in the hood an inch would be great. I wouldn't want it to open to the back cowl induction style, but just having the bulge be a little taller would really improve the looks without being a visibility problem.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bolowbc
Nice!

I would be interested... and request that there is some serious consideration about incorporating Greenwood-esque louvers as those are proven to be functional. Would really complete the "airflow" pathways under the hood!
Agreed. That is actually my dream hood: COPO hood in carbon fiber and with the greenwood vents. Light weight, Ram air and efficiently cooling the engine bay? Yes, Please!

And COPO, I know it has been said before but you honestly have one of the most beautiful C4s on earth, The combination of all the little things you have done like the hood scoop, cyber grey paint job, GSXR fuel cap, 355 tires with the fender flare extentions, and even the super small things like molding in the front lisence plate cover and moving the running light lenses out a half inch or so. They all add up to make one serious gorgeous automobile. Cheers, sir! Thank you for representing our generation of Corvette better than possibly anyone!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this somthing they do our hoods (ship them ours )?
What is the cost? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

COPO, I think your hood is awesome I also agree with the 1" raise. I would buy one but can not do it now. I may be looking at trans and drivetrain upgrades soon. Do you have a price estimate yet?
If they make the hood it will sell
Can someone photoshop a 1" raise in the hood please.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Like COPO's hood and I like that other forum member here who has the custom blue paint job with the hood scoop right at the front of the hood. It's very subtle but looks great.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

COPO, you know we all love that hood!

Along with what 1996man posted...if provisions were made (or available) for some kind of connection to the stock airbox I'd definitely be interested - my body guy is tied up until next spring!

Personally, I don't like/need a 1" or more rise in the hood, or more vents or scoops. I just want your hood!

BTW, "all I ask for is for it to be called COPO"...smart move, you should really license and market some of those mods you've got.

Last edited by Phat98; 08-28-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added text
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love your hood.I do agree it should have ducting underneath that directs the air to front of airbox.You could also sell the airbox(custom)that works with the hood.More money for you & we could buy the hood,then save for the custom airbox.Have it say Ram-air or something similar if GM owns that name under the hood on each side of the ducting in big letters,that way when hood is open people will see that it is a performance hood & we can feel better about the expense seeing these words as we are men
Maybe sell a functioning & non-functioning version & have the functioning hood just have the ducting riveted in place to make both options profitable.Maybe have a carbon fiber option or a carbon fiber looking underside like on the Zr-1 and Zo6 carbon packages so it is like the new vettes.Sell templates with the hood so people can cut out the sections to add the louvers which you can make out of plastic that just clip in place.Maybe offer a template so you can add a clear plastic window that you would also sell that would also just clip in place.There you go,nail it

Get notified of new replies

To Last chance on the hood!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That's exactly what I described in the earlier post... want one!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581563333-post5.html
Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by COPO
All I ask for is for it to be called COPO
Just curious, what does COPO stand for?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Central Office Production Order

not sure the scoop is far enough forward to be functional?
Either way I bet they woulld sell all they made preordered or not is a real tasteful looking piece.

Quick Reply: Last chance on the hood!!!