C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Harmonic Balancer Wobble ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer Wobble ?

I don't have this problem but i was curious to know

Are all year C4's affected by this problem?

I have an 84 model should i be aware of this for future reference?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 PM
lkl2005
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my low miles 86. With the helpful advice of some of the veterans here on the forum. Put a torque wrench on that puppy and tighten it to 60 ft lbs. My belt was squeaking. I have gone back to make sure it is tight 3 or 4 times and it seems to be holding now . I intend to check it on regular basis
Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hmmm, harmonic balancer should NOT wobble, IMO. I think that means either the balancer elastomere has separated or the front main is worn; I'd lean toward replacing the balancer.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

I don't have this problem but have read so many vettes do so i wasn't sure what to expect.

I'll be doing a full tune up tomorrow and wanted to check the timing to ensure the marks line up where they should i'll be checking tdc against the harmonic balancer marks so we'll see what i get.

It has a backfiring at wide open throttle and a miss so i'm going through everything.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Originally Posted by lkl2005
I had the same problem with my low miles 86. With the helpful advice of some of the veterans here on the forum. Put a torque wrench on that puppy and tighten it to 60 ft lbs. My belt was squeaking. I have gone back to make sure it is tight 3 or 4 times and it seems to be holding now . I intend to check it on regular basis
Thanks good advice will check and tighten tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The harmonic balancer is an almost press fit, need a puller to get it on and off. The nut 2005 refers to is more insurance and to hold the pulley on. If you are seeing a wobble I strongly suspect your damper has/is going south. If the outer ring has moved or can be moved you will never get correct timing. See 65Z01's post again.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Originally Posted by Muffin
The harmonic balancer is an almost press fit, need a puller to get it on and off. The nut 2005 refers to is more insurance and to hold the pulley on. If you are seeing a wobble I strongly suspect your damper has/is going south. If the outer ring has moved or can be moved you will never get correct timing. See 65Z01's post again.
Thank you, when i check the timing i'll know if it's out of time checking with piston TDC and see how far off the timing marks are.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I think that means either the balancer elastomere has separated or the front main is worn;
I'd lean toward replacing the balancer.
Typical find

Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Typical find

Wow thanks for the pic that looks bad!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had one completely separate...the outter ring came off the rubber liner. When the engine ran it turned...making some noise and a mild vibration. The hard part was the dingging that went on for 20 seconds AFTER shut down ! That took me a day or two to figure out...until I saw the outter ring still spinning on the balancer hub with the motor off.

If you see cracked rubber like the pic, plan on doing the work immediately. Its gonna be any day...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The harmonic balancers of old did not have a bolt to hold them in place. Strictly a press fit. I think the bolts were added around 1980 (just a guess -- my '78 Corvette did not have a bolt, my '86 does). [EDIT] I remembered that my '78 Corvette DID have a harmonic balancer bolt. I know that because I messed up the threads in the crank with the balancer puller. [/EDIT]

The outer ring on both the '78 and the '86 came loose from the hub. I found the problem on the '78 when I tried to set the timing and the engine wouldn't even run when I lined up the mark. The '86 balancer ring moved inward until it hit the timing chain cover and ground a hole in it. I found that when oil started pouring out. I filled the hole with J.B. Weld about 10 years ago because I didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the timing chain cover. Still holding so far...

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 07-31-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Added note on '78 Corvette balancer bolt.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Typical find

What a coincidence, we have the same garage floor coating

That balancer was on my 89 with about 90,000 miles when I changed it. I had no noticeable vibration, I only found out about it when I tried to set the timing.

Matthew
Old 10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Matatk
What a coincidence, we have the same garage floor coating
The good pics get saved for posterity
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Couldn't see the timing marks today on the balancer so will have to get a piston stop to check the timing and find true top dead center.

Managed to get the old plugs out WOW i'm never surprised by what i find.

All the plugs were tan which was great though number 1 was full of tan crud looked like clay.

All the plugs were very worn and all had different gaps ranging from 45 to 60.

So I gapped to 45 ( per emissions label on hood ) the new ones acdelco #2 performance platinum ( napa did not have the r45ts in stock ) before realizing they sold me the wrong distributer cap.

Even on their website they show the wrong one!

Mine has the bolts with an L shape on the bottom to attach to the distributer the one they gave me and on the website does not show this!

So gotta go back tomorrow and get a new one before i can finish the tune up!

Once i get the piston stop i'll check the timing and post back!

Last edited by GQ-ROD; 10-27-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GQ-ROD
sold me the wrong distributer cap.
Mine has the bolts with an L shape
the one they gave me and on the website does not show this!
Maybe that is what style your engine came with
All later Vette HEI's have a cap with hold down screws , not the L style locks you have
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Once i get the piston stop i'll check the timing and post back!
When I did RRs I used a large screw driver blade as a piston stop.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Maybe that is what style your engine came with
All later Vette HEI's have a cap with hold down screws , not the L style locks you have
I thought about that but my distributer does not have tabs that the cap would screw into, i also checked napa's site and it shows the same one for an 86 vette. So not sure what's up with their system.

When i check autozone's website they DO indeed show a cap with screws that have that L shape at the bottom to lock the cap down to the distributer for an 84 vette.

I'll see what napa says tomorrow ironicly the old cap that's there seems to be a napa gold cap has brass terminals not the galvanized looking terminals the one i bought has.

Weird.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer Wobble ?

Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Originally Posted by 65Z01
When I did RRs I used a large screw driver blade as a piston stop.
I was actually going to use a simple bolt with the proper thread pitch since no one stocks a piston stop locally that i could find.

I thought about the screwdriver but wasn't sure how accurate it would be.

Saw a youtube video of a guy doing this with a homemade piston stop and it was great to see how easy and accurate it was.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I have a theory that the timing mark should line up with the groove for the crankshaft key. Can anybody verify (or refute) that?

[EDIT] Since I just took my harmonic balancer off, I did verify that the groove for the crankshaft key does NOT line up with the timing mark. It actually aligns with the edge of one of the spokes in the harmonic balancer. I read somewhere that GM changed the mark to 8° advanced back around 1970. The problem is that you can't see the key groove without taking off the serpentine belt pulley. Here's my harmonic balancer with a rule to show the alignment:

[/EDIT]

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 07-31-2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Added note & pic on timing mark/crankshaft key alignment.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have a theory that the timing mark should line up with the groove for the crankshaft key. Can anybody verify (or refute) that?
That's a good point i'm not sure!

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Wobble ?