C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 4+3 Overdrive does not engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
yokedworkoutbro3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 4+3 Overdrive does not engage

Hey guys i just picked up an 85 with the 4+3 trans. The car is completely stock with 100k on it. It has the overdrive button on the shifter, and when the car is up to temp the o\d lights up on the dash when the button is clicked. But it does not shift into overdrive.
Reverse still works as it should.
When i let off the gas with the o/d switch off, it engine brakes like a normal manual. When i let off the gas with the switch on, the rpms drop like its shifting into o/d, but when i hit the gas the rpms jump right back up.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I need to change the filter and fluid soon, no idea how long its been in there...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by yokedworkoutbro3
it does not shift into overdrive.
Reverse still works as it should.
I need to change the filter and fluid soon, no idea how long its been in there...
Would be the starting point , low fluid will prevent O/d operation
Then to check out if power is actually getting to the O/d solenoid
Dash light shows power is available from the O/d relay but the 1st gear lockout switch on the trans may be faulty or the connector into the O/d unit may be bad ( common problem )
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM
J.Maroon87
2nd Gear

Had the same problem wih my 87. Turned out tbe a fuse. Check to see if anything
else is not working. Such as interior lights or door chimes. Check cluster fuse.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
ProjectC4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 84 the OD light is the last thing in line before the power goes into the transmission to a pressure switch then to the OD solenoid. If there's not enough main line pressure the solenoid won't energize and it stays in low.

Low transmission fluid level can cause this. There's a seal between the OD and the 4 speed trans which can leak and let OD ATF into the manual trans. Check if the OD level is low before you drop the pan. Check if the manual trans level is high before you drain it.

The wire between the OD solenoid plug where it enters the OD and the pressure switch has a spade connector on either end. If they are loose the OD may chatter over bumps. Interestingly the 84 electrical suppliment schematics do not show the pressure switch inside the OD. The repair manual does mention it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Sounds like the clutches are worn, and can't push the car under a load.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
yokedworkoutbro3
5th Gear

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I just drained the gearbox and the o/d, both seemed to have about the right amount of fluid. There was a little bit of shavings in the pan, but no apparant sign of atf running into the gearbox. My first gear switch doesnt seem to be working, i believe the switch should have a completed circuit anytime the shifter is not in first (when the ball in the switch is out). Im not getting a closed circuit with the ball pushed in or out.. Also id like to replace the pressure switch in the pan just since im in there. Any ideas where i could get a 1st gear switch and pressure switch?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yokedworkoutbro3
Any ideas where i could get a 1st gear switch and pressure switch?
Brian at www.skspeed.com (631) 957-9525
has been the go to man for 4+3 parts for many years but recent posts about him selling up and getting out of 4+3's
Worth a try

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 4+3 Overdrive does not engage

Quick Reply: 1985 4+3 Overdrive does not engage