C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best LT1 Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best LT1 Supercharger?

Hey guys,

I'm not too familiar with superchargers, but I want to know which supercharger is the best,

Vortech: http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=288

Procharger: http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=290

Thanks in advance!
-Jay
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never had a vortech so I can't comment on their reliability. I do have a pro charged Harley and a 93 coupe LT-1 with a P1SC and both have been sent back for bearing failure. Luckily they were both under warranty. ATI's customer service has been great and got both units back in a reasonable time.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All the big brands can be made to work well. you are not going to get off cheap$$.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

It seems the Novi (Paxton) units are the ones I hear about (over on C5/6 FI) blowing up impellers and sending the pieces through the motor.

Id avoid those.

Vortech, procharger are both good.

The issue with procharger is they are real weird about their compressor maps.

I think vortech will give you a compressor map so you can 'pulley' your unit to operate within peak island efficiency rpm.

Procharger refuses to supply that info and claims that info is not necessary.....I have my own opinion why they wont supply it....

ALl this said, the entry level prochargers flow more than entry vortech (ex. p1-sc vs. s-trim (ex. 1200 cfm vs. 1050 cfm), and theres lots of people running wild times on prochargers.

Both are good centrifugal blowers.

I think what you should be asking is...whats beter centrifugal or roots-type blowers (need custom high-rise hood). Lots of debate there

BTW. no issues with my procharger p600b (built in 2000), 50k? on the blower. I bought it used and it works great.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a D1SC Procharger on my 93 Z28 and my 02 Z28. I love both of them. The D1 on the 93 has been in for 1 rebuild in 9 years, the D1 on the 02 has 35k miles on it and no trouble at all. I know the only kit for the LT1 Vette is the P1SC, but talk to them about the P1SC H.O kit which make it adjustable up to 15lbs. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a Vortech on my dd Silverado with 7-8lbs of boost. Been on for over 75k miles now. The front seal weeps, but it was because of excess return oil pressure due to a poorly installed return line. I fixed that and have had no issues, just some mess.
Had a P600B ProCharger on my Mustang with 12 lbs of boost through the intercooler. Never had any issues with the unit. FMU's suck. Blew up a Ford rubber intake elbow when I missed a shift one time. It ran rough after that and I thought I had really screwed something up.
I'm just getting back into Vette's so I can't say for sure. My general opinion has always been that if you just want a blower and a decent total package, Vortech is a good way to go. If you want serious power increases, Procharger. I do wish there was a Magnusson option for these cars. Unless you swap in the LS, then you can have whatever
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
itsabigblock
Racer

Originally Posted by armysnipe
I've never had a vortech so I can't comment on their reliability. I do have a pro charged Harley and a 93 coupe LT-1 with a P1SC and both have been sent back for bearing failure. Luckily they were both under warranty. ATI's customer service has been great and got both units back in a reasonable time.
Interesting,whats it like riding a procharged harley.what model harley?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a 2003 heritage softail running about 10 PSI. It's twice as fast as it was when stock. The great part about the procharger is when I ride someone it pulls just as hard. It's not my fastest bike, as my 09 Buell 1125R is, but it does get attention wherever I go. It's also a lot easier to work on the bike (lol). You can hear my bikes idling inf you go to you tube and search for my dads bikes and toys. Since that video the bearings were replaced in the pro charger. Enjoy!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM
itsabigblock
Racer

Originally Posted by armysnipe
It's a 2003 heritage softail running about 10 PSI. It's twice as fast as it was when stock. The great part about the procharger is when I ride someone it pulls just as hard. It's not my fastest bike, as my 09 Buell 1125R is, but it does get attention wherever I go. It's also a lot easier to work on the bike (lol). You can hear my bikes idling inf you go to you tube and search for my dads bikes and toys. Since that video the bearings were replaced in the pro charger. Enjoy!
Thanks for the info,didnt mean to steal the org post
Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 PM
itsabigblock
Racer

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
Hey guys,

I'm not too familiar with superchargers, but I want to know which supercharger is the best,

Vortech: http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=288

Procharger: http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=290

Thanks in advance!
-Jay
I have a procharger on my 95,she runs real good.Both chargers are good,the only advantage I see is if the procharger lets go it wont ruin your engine,cant say the same for the vortech.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanHM
Have a Vortech on my dd Silverado with 7-8lbs of boost. Been on for over 75k miles now. The front seal weeps, but it was because of excess return oil pressure due to a poorly installed return line. I fixed that and have had no issues, just some mess.
Had a P600B ProCharger on my Mustang with 12 lbs of boost through the intercooler. Never had any issues with the unit. FMU's suck. Blew up a Ford rubber intake elbow when I missed a shift one time. It ran rough after that and I thought I had really screwed something up.
I'm just getting back into Vette's so I can't say for sure. My general opinion has always been that if you just want a blower and a decent total package, Vortech is a good way to go. If you want serious power increases, Procharger. I do wish there was a Magnusson option for these cars. Unless you swap in the LS, then you can have whatever
The vortech V2T Trim supports 875 Hp
Have no plans on changing brands, looking to buy a second one,
Runs smooth, cool and (almost) silent and violent when needed.

Last edited by illenema; 11-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best LT1 Supercharger?

Quick Reply: Best LT1 Supercharger?