C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 01:43 PM
BarneePhife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1

Hello all,

I have a 1995 LT1 with about 89K miles on it. I recently had the serpentine belt break as I was driving down the freeway. I made it home safely and without incident. I figured replacing the serpentine belt would be an easy matter, but it's proving to be quite the contrary for me. I'm coming to the Forum for help before I have to resort to having it towed to a shop.

I went down and bought a new belt (first a AutoZone, then another at O'Reily). Neither belt fits. The first one was listed as 66.7", the second, a bit longer at 67.5". My problem is this...

I route the belt around all the wheels (except the alternator). I pull the tensioner pully as far as it will go but the belt is always too short to pull around the alternator. I've tried leaving the belt off other wheels, but no combination seems to work. If I route the belt around all the wheels EXCEPT the tensioner pully, it's very tight - I can barely get it on and off the alternator.

I don't know if there's something unique to a 95 LT1 (or just mine). I'm the second owner, and as far as I can tell, the first owner did not do any modifications whatsoever to the car - it's bone stock. Can anyone tell me how long my serpentine belt should be on a '95 LT1??

I had a heck of a time figuring out just how to move the tensioner pully, because on mine, there is no place to put in a breaker bar. I've had to get creative, and the only way I can move mine is by removing the air intake between the throttle body and the air filter, then use one of the serpentine belts to wrap under the bolt on the wheel end of the tensioner pully, and pulling straight up. It's acutally a two man job, because the tensioner pully is quite stiff. So with one fella holding the tensioner as far as it will go, the other tries (in vain) to get the serpentine belt to fit around the final wheel (usually the alternator).

Any input at this point will be GREATLY appreciated! I know it can't be this difficult - I must be overlooking something.

Jim
Old 06-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1 (BarneePhife)

Jim, having a 94 LT1 I have run into what sounds like the same problem. The replacement belt ~appears~ not to want to make it all the way around the alt pulley (I assume it will just partially get started on it, correct?) The best way I have found to get it all the way on is to have a rubber mallet handy and to just start the belt over the alternator pulley and tap on the edge of the belt to put it fully on. You have to get the belt far enough over a portion of the alternator pulley such that it will stay there. It really helps to have a serpentine belt tool as that will help make it a one-person job.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:14 PM
TealBlueEyes
Advanced

I'm happy to be able to help on this one b/c I just went through this. The trick is changing the way you think about the problem. You need to route the belt through all of the wheels and pulleys EXCEPT for the tensioner. It is especially important to get the ribs of the belt seated on the alternator, compressor, etc. Then pull the tensioner back fully and slide the belt under it. This works because the tensioner pulley is a smooth wheel. There's not enough play in a new belt to get it over the lip of the alternator - let alone seat it properly in the grooves.

When you do it this way - it's simple. :)

Jim
The following users liked this post:
Chilliwack Jack (10-10-2015)
Old 06-03-2002, 03:37 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1 (TealBlueEyes)

You can buy a tool for about $20-30 or make your own like I did. A flat stock angle iron about 18'' long x 1''wide and weld a old 16mm short socket to one end of it. Works great on my 92 and and a lot cheaper. :yesnod:
Old 06-03-2002, 05:31 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a heck of a time getting my belt back on. Turns out I had it on the wrong side of the idler pulley. After I found the correct side, it slipped right on.

Get the tool. The correct tool makes life so much easier. You'll use it again, count on it.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:41 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1 (John Row)

I do mine the easy way. Take out the one bolt on the alt. so it can pivot down when you try and put it on. That's all the extra you need. The the belt slides right on. It's very easy to get the alt. back in place to put the bolt back in! :yesnod:
Old 06-04-2002, 01:43 AM
BarneePhife
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1 (TealBlueEyes)

Thanks to everyone who's suggested different ways of getting this belt on. Unfortunately, nothing has been successful for me.

Denny - I can't try the rubber mallet technique because I can't get enough of the belt onto the alternator pully (belt maybe reaches just past the center bolt on the alternator. I definitely can't even begin to get it over any bit of the lip on the alternator.

TealBlueEyes - I tried routing the belt as you suggested, and I'm just coming up too short. The belt won't even get past the middle of the wheel on the tensioner pully - and yes, that's with the tensioner pully pulled as far up as it can go.

ittlfly - I tried getting the tool at the local auto parts store, but they had none in stock. I'm still not convinced that it would benefit me to have it other than I wouldn't have to keep asking my room mate to help me.

John Row - I just drew of how I'm routing the belt. It's a bit crude, but I think folks will understand. Someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. You can see that picture here... http://www.barneephife.com/95LT1.jpg

Heck, if there's anyone in the DFW area who's familiar with doing this, I'd make it worth your while to get you to drive out to Mansfield and show me how to do this!

Thanks to those who've replied, and to those who might still offer more suggestions!

Jim
Old 06-04-2002, 02:38 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Try getting a GM belt and using a 1/2in drive breakerbar with a socket. :cheers:
Old 06-04-2002, 02:52 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the remnants of your old belt, to measure? It's starting to sound like you have the wrong size belt.

It looks like the routing is correct. There should also be a diagram on the radiator shroud. I always slip mine over the power steering pulley because it is by far the easiest (for me), since it has the shallowest "lip". I've never gotten it on over the alternator.

I just checked my old belt, and if I'm decoding the Goodyear part # correctly, the length is 66.7" for my '96.

[Modified by JasonL, 10:56 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-05-2002, 10:35 PM
BarneePhife
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1 (JasonL)

Thanks to all for the additional suggestions. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to have it towed.

I've put up a bunch of pictures at this link.
http://www.barneephife.com/TP/Tpull.htm
(WARNING - lots of small pics with links to 1024x768 pics - may be agonizing for dial-ups!)

Please take a look and see if anyone has anymore suggestions. The belt is 66.7", which appears to be GM spec.

I don't know that loosing the alternator to get the belt on will work, there's so little slack. Take a look at these pics - you'll see that with the Tensioner Pully completely removed and the belt routed around all the wheels, there is virtually no slack left. I don't see how the tensioner pully could possibly fit in this arrangement.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm so frustrated. I cringe at the idea of having to spend money for a tow, then labor and whatever else they'll sock me for just to install a darn serpentine belt!

Jim
Old 06-05-2002, 11:00 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Jim, I can try and get down your way tomorrow night. I've not had a serpentine get the best of me yet, but there's always a first time. Shoot me an email and we can try and get together and give it a try.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:48 PM
SilvaDragon
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1

In particular, this comment by TealBlueEyes is critical:

"It is especially important to get the ribs of the belt seated on the
alternator, compressor, etc"

If the ribs of a new belt aren't seated *perfectly* in all the pulleys,
you can easily end up with the belt shortage you show in your
pictures.

Check the bottom radius of the crank pulley in particular. This is
the largest radius, the hardest to see, and is often the culprit on
"short" belts.

With any luck, you've already found the problem and avoided
a tow!!

[Modified by SilvaDragon, 8:49 PM 6/7/2002]
Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Chilliwack Jack
2nd Gear

TealBlueEyes had the right answer... I got it done in 5 seconds !!!
Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Check the date Jack!!! Your about 13 years late.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneePhife
Hello all,

I have a 1995 LT1 with about 89K miles on it. I recently had the serpentine belt break as I was driving down the freeway. I made it home safely and without incident. I figured replacing the serpentine belt would be an easy matter, but it's proving to be quite the contrary for me. I'm coming to the Forum for help before I have to resort to having it towed to a shop.

I went down and bought a new belt (first a AutoZone, then another at O'Reily). Neither belt fits. The first one was listed as 66.7", the second, a bit longer at 67.5". My problem is this...

I route the belt around all the wheels (except the alternator). I pull the tensioner pully as far as it will go but the belt is always too short to pull around the alternator. I've tried leaving the belt off other wheels, but no combination seems to work. If I route the belt around all the wheels EXCEPT the tensioner pully, it's very tight - I can barely get it on and off the alternator.

I don't know if there's something unique to a 95 LT1 (or just mine). I'm the second owner, and as far as I can tell, the first owner did not do any modifications whatsoever to the car - it's bone stock. Can anyone tell me how long my serpentine belt should be on a '95 LT1??

I had a heck of a time figuring out just how to move the tensioner pully, because on mine, there is no place to put in a breaker bar. I've had to get creative, and the only way I can move mine is by removing the air intake between the throttle body and the air filter, then use one of the serpentine belts to wrap under the bolt on the wheel end of the tensioner pully, and pulling straight up. It's acutally a two man job, because the tensioner pully is quite stiff. So with one fella holding the tensioner as far as it will go, the other tries (in vain) to get the serpentine belt to fit around the final wheel (usually the alternator).

Any input at this point will be GREATLY appreciated! I know it can't be this difficult - I must be overlooking something.

Jim
New belt is a little bit short than old, so you will need a little bit fatigue to fit it.

No room for breaker bar, you right, use a 15mm or 16mm don't remeber now box wrench and add on it a long pipe to move tensioner

Same car then you, operation is very simple
Old 10-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Chilliwack Jack
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Check the date Jack!!! Your about 13 years late.
I don't care... It still worked for me !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1

Quick Reply: Need Help: Serpentine Belt on 95 LT1