C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Static noise from one of Bose speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
chrisbyn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static noise from one of Bose speakers

I've got my radio functioning now (had a circuit short issue) and I get sound out of 3 of the 4 speakers. The driver's side front speaker has only static. I tried fading to only the back speakers and that helps, but there is still a considerable amount of static. I took out the speaker and now listening to the radio is "acceptable" (as much as it can be with only 3 speakers).

Bad speaker or bad amp? I'll probably pull out the other front speaker and swap them around to see for sure, but thought I'd see if anyone has had this happen to them before.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Amp. If memory serves me correctly the culprit is a "cap" on the amplifier board.

I bought a set of spare speakers long ago as backups. So I can't help with recommending a repair shop. Maybe someone else has the needed info.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

My left speaker amp. blew up a resistor & A npn-d transistor
Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbyn
I've got my radio functioning now (had a circuit short issue) and I get sound out of 3 of the 4 speakers. The driver's side front speaker has only static. I tried fading to only the back speakers and that helps, but there is still a considerable amount of static. I took out the speaker and now listening to the radio is "acceptable" (as much as it can be with only 3 speakers).

Bad speaker or bad amp? I'll probably pull out the other front speaker and swap them around to see for sure, but thought I'd see if anyone has had this happen to them before.

Thanks,
Chris
Bose speakers rarely go bad, the problem is most likely the amp built in to the speaker enclosure. Check out these links;

http://www.carstereohelp.com/repairD...vetteAudio.htm
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...more-time.html
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...etteFspk89.htm

Last edited by mako41; 09-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
chrisbyn
Intermediate

i went to radio shack and bought new caps and replaced them all. Still the same problem. Does anyone know where to get the four FETs or the 2 ICs? Everything that I'm seeing online talks about the caps. In my case, I think it's one of the other parts. I can handle soldering them on and with the components being so cheap, I'd rather do it myself than spend around a 100 for someone else to fix it.

BTW - My goal is to keep my car 100% original (well - as close as one can get to being 100%), so suggestions to toss it and move on to aftermarket are understood/appreciated, but not getting me to my goal.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM
chrisbyn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chrisbyn
i went to radio shack and bought new caps and replaced them all. Still the same problem. Does anyone know where to get the four FETs or the 2 ICs? Everything that I'm seeing online talks about the caps. In my case, I think it's one of the other parts. I can handle soldering them on and with the components being so cheap, I'd rather do it myself than spend around a 100 for someone else to fix it.

BTW - My goal is to keep my car 100% original (well - as close as one can get to being 100%), so suggestions to toss it and move on to aftermarket are understood/appreciated, but not getting me to my goal.

So I did want to ask about this...found this from one of the recommended URLs.

Checking Bose Speakers

Bose speaker are rarely defective. It is a good idea to give the speakers a visual inspection for water or for physical damage to the paper cone. Swap suspect speakers to a known working enclosure for testing.

Bose speakers can not be replaced with aftermarket speakers. Aftermarket speakers are four ohm. Bose speakers are one to two ohm. Installing an aftermarket speaker in place of a Bose speaker automatically cuts the Bose amplifier power 1/4 to 1/2 it's original output.

When I did change the speaker out, it was an aftermarket speaker....so could it be possible that the same behavior was masked by using a non-bose speaker? I'm at work now - i'll try an actual bose speaker when I get home but if anyone has any thoughts i'm all ears.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Sorry you can't be a parts chaser. Becouse you read someone replaced there CAP.
If the CAP was blown you would have noticed the top was split or fluild leaking.
You need to inspect your board. on all the resistors, diode's, transistors.. and so on.. you will have a blown part somewhere.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM
chrisbyn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Sorry you can't be a parts chaser. Becouse you read someone replaced there CAP.
If the CAP was blown you would have noticed the top was split or fluild leaking.
You need to inspect your board. on all the resistors, diode's, transistors.. and so on.. you will have a blown part somewhere.
Yeah I've been staring at it trying to find the culprit.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM
chrisbyn
Intermediate

I did a quick recording of the problem. It's on http://youtu.be/_cHVmHSmzbI if you're interested in hearing it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Rontopia
Intermediate

I am no bose expert, but static but no sound sounds like an amp with a bad input. Did you ever try putting the good speaker in the side that's bad? If it stillnputs out static than you know it either the wire or the output in the head unit.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe these FET's are for the Bose amps - Mosfet N-CH 55V 14A TO220FP:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...bf-nd&x=8&y=19
$1.57 each
They also have the correct value / length capacitors - 820uf 16V:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...ords=p10252-nd
$1.03 each

These parts are too cheap.. And thru-hole soldering is too easy..

One of my amps is cracking at moderate volumes (snare drum) and the caps had already been replaced. I have the new FET's but haven't replaced them yet. Will post a followup after installing.

Last edited by mixalive; 10-18-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM
86GreenwoodVette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I got 2 speaker boxes with amps in them- all was working when I pulled them, my neighbor bought the speakers from me, he didnt want the amps or the boxes. They are from an 86 - I will send you both boxes and 2 amps for 50.00 - if you are interested and you should have what you need to end this nightmare.

Get notified of new replies

To Static noise from one of Bose speakers

Quick Reply: Static noise from one of Bose speakers