C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How come my car won't turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 01:20 AM
SaveTheWave
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S. Indiana Events Coordinator
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default How come my car won't turn off?

I was headed up to a Forum event in Ft. Wayne on Friday and stopped a few miles north of town to top off the gas tank for the trip.
But the car will not shut off. The ignition key is stuck in the 'Run' position. It will turn forward to 'Start' but that's it.
I broke one of the ears off the switch trying to make it work :mad
Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?

TIA
Old 06-02-2002, 01:28 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ

Default Re: How come my car won't turn off? (SaveTheWave)

I know this may seem lik a stupid question............but it has to be covered...........do you have an auto or a manual? If it's manual.......make sure it's in reverse before takin the key out. If it's an auto, make sure it's in Park first. Other than that.....push in the key first and make sure the spring's actually being tapped before you turn the key down to take it out. It may be the spring in the ignition's busted or somethin.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:38 AM
8LivesLeft
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a rod in the column that runs from the lock cylinder down to a switch that engages the starter. It sounds like that is what has jammed up on your car. It's not something you probably are going to be able to fix yourself unless you have the right tools to disassemble the column. The column is relatively the same as any other GM vehicle of that era so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to take it apart and fix it. Just make sure they have worked on a GM column before because there are a few parts that are :cuss to get in sometimes.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:45 AM
GRNVNM93
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How come my car won't turn off? (8LivesLeft)

Same thing happend to mine. But mine just wouldn't start. The rod that was aforementioned became bent and wouldn't even allow me to turn the accessories on. Had to have the column torn apart, and ended up replacing some type of tilt mechanism that became worn out due to up and down "slop" in the wheel. Cost $450 to fix!! Argh!! :smash:
Old 06-02-2002, 02:08 AM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How come my car won't turn off? (GRNVNM93)

IF I remember correctly, and unless the columns have been totally redisigned in the last decade, the switch that you are talking about is located at the base of the column. It is not inside the housing. It is fairly easy to get to. I have changed a number of them on 80s and early 90s GM vehicles. Just follow the column down and look for the rod and the switch that it activates. I am thinking though that you have a relay problem and not the switch that is mentioned. I beleive that the relay is located right above the column base and behind the dash cluster. I would have to check my shop manual before I could give you a better answer.

UPDATE

I went back to your original post and figured out that your problem must be mechanical and not a relay or switch problem. Somehow, the mechanism that the lock cylinder is attached to is getting jammed. The reverse lock and the column lock are part of that mechanism. I would first inspect the linkage from the column to the trans before you disassemble the steering column. But my mind tells me that the actual cause is the mechanism right behind the key cylinder since it will not even move to the off position needed to shut the car off. If the reverse lock mechanism was the culprit, you should be able to still move it from the off, on and start positions. Only the lock position should be affected by the reverse and column lock mechanisms.You will have to do some disassembly anyway to replace the lock cylinder to take care of the broken ears. So disassemble the column anyway and see what you find. I suspect that a screw or piece of foreign matter fell down and lodged in the mechanism.

:cheers:

[Modified by Sharky Guam, 4:15 PM 6/2/2002]

[Modified by Sharky Guam, 4:25 PM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-02-2002, 02:26 AM
SaveTheWave
Le Mans Master

S. Indiana Events Coordinator
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: How come my car won't turn off? (Sharky Guam)

Thanks for the fast replies!!!
I am mechanically inept, especially when it comes to electrical stuff :cry
It's an auto, and I tried every gear to no avail. Tried with the tilt in multiple positions, and the steering wheel in multiple positions. It won't budge!! I also tried pushing and pulling on the key, and that doesn't help either.
Just hoping that I can get it started so it doesn't have to be towed to the shop.

Thanks again to all.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:59 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing a couple months ago and the key cylinder was bad.
Here is a link. http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/column/tiltcol.html

[Modified by corvette0096, 10:59 PM 6/1/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To How come my car won't turn off?

Quick Reply: How come my car won't turn off?