C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

10 Year Old Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 10 Year Old Gasoline

Hi All! I have an issue that I could use some guidance on:

I am picking up my 1987 Coupe tomorrow. The car has been sitting for ten years. It runs (I was there and started it and moved it in the driveway) but it has about 3/8ths of a tank of 10 year old gasoline in it. The previous owner did add Stabil at some point. The question is: will this gasoline be ok if I fill it up with premium and run it as is? The car is going from where it is parked to the Chevrolet dealer for some service work. Should I have them also drain the tank so I can put some new, fresh gas in it?

Additionally, I am having the following done to the car to awaken it from its loooong sleep:

Coolant flush
Brake Fluid Check - Flush if required?
Oil and Filter change
Air Filter Change

The car runs fine, it started right up and had no issues other than showing a "Low Coolant" light. The temp never got above 210 degrees. Is there anything else I should do or look for in the car considering she has been stored for 10 years?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Mike
Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No drain it and start with new gas
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hoses, belt, TIRES. After 10 years you can bet the tires are dry rotted. I would have both the transmission and brake system flushed. Barn finds can have a rather large effort and cost.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. Drain and refill with new. Unless it requires premium, use low octane. High octane gas isn't any cleaner than low.octane, nor does it contain any more detergents.

Octane is just a measure on how fast it burns. The higher the octane, the slower the burn. This is why higher octane fuel is better for engines that run high compression ratios and advanced timing.

Use a name brand gasoline such as Amoco or Chevron. Their additives packages are better than no name brand gasoline.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

................ Dealership ? ....................
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Originally Posted by C409
................ Dealership ? ....................
I don't understand what you mean here.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by paratrooper34
He means the dealership will rip you off and not even have the common courtesy to give you a reach around. It may seem overwhelming at first but buy yourself a fsm (equivalent of an FM) and with the help of forum members you can perform all of your own pmcs...btw welcome to the club

Last edited by gunnerjuju; 08-26-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No drain it and start with new gas .When you do , take a good look Im sure it will have some junk floating around , surprized it will even burn .
Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

............ The last time the local Chevy dealer saw a C4 Corvette was in 1997 after they sold the last left-over ... they know less about performance cars than my dear granny , but they charge more for nothing than Starbucks ..........

Last edited by C409; 08-26-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated. I will have them drain the tank when I get it there.

Gunner, thanks also....the car came with the factory service manuals and will surely come in handy.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Probably won't hurt to replace the fuel filter too.

Also, the '87 does use premium gas (91 Octane or higher). It will run on 87 octane but there will be some pinging under load.

The dealer may recommend some sort of injector service, but when you fill the tank, add two bottles of Chevron Techron (it's available at just about all parts stores). That will help to clean out the injectors. If the car started and ran decently, there may not be an immediate need for a dealer injector service.

Most dealers have access to repair sites like Alldata. That website has all of the same information that is found in the red-covered FSM. In fact, it's scanned pages of the FSM.

At some point, it would be worth checking the air conditioning system to make sure it works properly. Also swap the serpentine belt if there are signs of cracking or wear on the sides of the belt.

Keep an eye on the battery voltage. Have the battery fully charged and tested. Check the alternator output too.

If the car hadn't been started on a regular basis, you may find that the exhaust system may be rusted. It's common for moisture to collect in the mufflers.

Definitely get replacement tires ASAP. DO NOT try to drive it on the freeway for any extended distance or drive at high speeds. BF Goodrich has a new g-Force COMP-2 tire in the right size of 255/50-16. You can get them at the Tire Rack
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 PM
chrldo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mice love exhaust systems!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Hi All! I have an issue that I could use some guidance on:

Additionally, I am having the following done to the car to awaken it from its loooong sleep:

Coolant flush
Brake Fluid Check - Flush if required?
Oil and Filter change
Air Filter Change
Mike,

Firstly....congrats oin your purchase!

There is no reason in the world to take your 87 to a dealer for these items. These are the most basic of maintenance items, and you should be able to do them yourself in a couple of hours. If you cant, be forewarned: the maintenance on this car will suck your wallet dry. Part of the satisfaction in owning a vette is doing your own maintenance. If that's not your cup of tea, then find a mechanic who is familiar with these cars, but avoid a dealership.

Enjoy the new ride! Remember to wave.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Rohn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check for flluid leaks when you get car home. Sitting ten years gaskets may have shrunk.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

All, some really awesome feedback, truly appreciated. Fact is, I am no stranger to turning wrenches, I have rebuilt a couple of small blocks and tinkered with lots of stuff over the years. However, I do not have a garage set up to do some things; coolant and brake fluid flushes are not happening in my garage. And there is no way I can convert the R12 A/C system to R134. Additionally, while I do enjoy conducting maintenance on my cars or motorcycles, there are times when I simply do not have the time to dedicate to getting a bunch of stuff done. I just want to drive this car, right now. The guys at one of the local Chevy garages are the same ones who do the maintenance on our government vehicles and they did some work on the LT1 Camaro I just parted with. They are straight shooters and have never done me or our program wrong. The guys there are competent and have been 100% accurate with estimates. I guess I am lucky enough to have a dealer I can depend on. Seems some of you had some bad experiences, but mine have not been bad. There are some honest, hard working people out there who don't take advantage of people. Again, I am just fortunate in that respect.

I took all of your advice and have the guys there working on it. In the future, for items that don't require skills above my level, I look forward to turning some wrenches on my Corvette. For those larger items beyond my skill or tool inventory, I have a Chevy garage I can count on.

And best of all, I now have this forum where clearly there is a very strong level of talent. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 10 Year Old Gasoline

Quick Reply: 10 Year Old Gasoline