C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My new AC Delco water pump is made in CHINA???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way make sure you take the drive sleeve off the splines of the old one.I almost missed that when I did mine.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I practically had to pry it off. They used some sort of thread sealer on the splines it looks like, and I'm going to have to scrape all that out of the coupler.

Currently I'm scraping gaskets off the block. This is not a fun task. Got the passenger's side ok, but it's tight on the driver's side. Gonna hit it with some acetone here in a bit to see if that speeds things up.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

WTF? Wow. Holy SH$#. etc...etc...

There's so much to complain about in this thread, it's unbelievable. All I can say is:

No one should be surprised that aftermarket and dealership parts aren't that different anymore.
I think Cardone is Mexico
GM should be ashamed but maybe they'll man up and come back to America. (After all, they say profits are back)
I agree with the last paragraph of leesvet's post (#10)....which means...
Republicans can't/won't fix this either. They'll just let the corporations get away with it -- going under the assumption that it'll create more jobs. leesvet's right, we need to declare our own war and put a tax on oversees crap. Who do you think is going to be willing to do that?

And, oh yeah...
Did you notice GM refuses to be a "centerpiece" for the upcoming debates. Like they don't owe the politicians/government anything. (Smart, but ungrateful bastards)

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-27-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Christopher Davis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an old saying" if it looks like" **** "( or the Mexican equivalent) its gonna be just that . Auto zone starters, Parts plus wheel bearing without steel shields, even polish water pumps with only two of the drilled! WTH! The parts industry direction is definitely worse- needless to say Nations are people groups, with very different standards and skill levels - test your parts if you can before removing the old ones.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:07 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If the casting is good and the shaft and impeller all you have is a bearing and a seal. Timken and others make the bearing and Chicago Rawhide and others make seals.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:16 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
Its gets worse...

Your Delco electronics are not made in China....rather way down south in Mexico....

It never ceases to amaze me at who these mega corps are and which cry the loudest about profitability, market share, made in America and so on....and they take their American based industry and run over seas to mfg so they can increase the margins and make more money and cry about how tough it is operating in this country....

Fleeing American corporations IMHO should have a big TAX target painted on their backs....take your production over seas and its gonna be a tax from hell to import it back to this country... Thats HOW you create jobs and stabilize a national economy. Make the money and work stay here.
Have you talked to Donald Trump about that?
Old 11-05-2016, 10:19 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Just had corvette shop do new Delfi opti and Gates water pump that has lifetime warrenty,$65.00 at Rock Auto
Old 11-06-2016, 12:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Davis
There is an old saying" if it looks like" **** "( or the Mexican equivalent) its gonna be just that . Auto zone starters, Parts plus wheel bearing without steel shields, even polish water pumps with only two of the drilled! WTH! The parts industry direction is definitely worse- needless to say Nations are people groups, with very different standards and skill levels - test your parts if you can before removing the old ones.
These items are not some uber high tech that can only be done in 3 places in the world. We are not working with items that are so technical that they can only be made in the by the LCH in Switzerland. The car parts are pretty crude items that can be built anywhere in the world you choose. I can commission the parts to be built in China and it will meet your standards if you so choose. The issue is whether you are willing to pay for the QC involved or not. America has spoken and said "NOT" very loudly and clearly. I don't care if Trump or Hillary wins. None of them can reverse it if the public doesn't want them to. When the junk came, we bought them anyways. The other makers of the product saw that and lowered the quality since you (the public) was stupid enough to gripe but buy and in larger and larger quantities.

Stop blaming the shop for selling junk. Stop blaming the manufacturer for making junk. Stop blaming the Chinese for being incompetent and lazy and making you junk. Start going to the bathroom, look in the mirror and you will find the person to blame for telling them that you will still buy their crap. Not only did you tell them you will buy junk, you told them that you would rather buy junk at lower prices than quality merchandise at higher prices. They changed according to your wishes so stop blaming others for your stupidity.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jose7740
Have you talked to Donald Trump about that?
Perhaps the best person to talk to is the buying public. Tell them to stop buying the cheap crap and shell out the long green to buy the better quality stuff. Tell them to boycott the cheap garbage. When you succeed, Trump or Hillary will be irrelevant because you can DIY.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:23 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Years ago I used to go to a major store known as Fedco (now gone). They carried three grades of products, expensive high quality, medium quality and cheap junk. First the expensive stuff went away because nobody wanted to pay the price. Then the medium quality stuff went away because nobody wanted to pay the price -- the cheap stuff was a "bargain". Then all they carried was cheap junk. Made me sick, but nothing I could do.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:13 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Years ago I used to go to a major store known as Fedco (now gone). They carried three grades of products, expensive high quality, medium quality and cheap junk. First the expensive stuff went away because nobody wanted to pay the price. Then the medium quality stuff went away because nobody wanted to pay the price -- the cheap stuff was a "bargain". Then all they carried was cheap junk. Made me sick, but nothing I could do.
The people spoke . It wasn't the shop's fault nor is it the manufacturer's fault .

Quick Reply: My new AC Delco water pump is made in CHINA???