C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rear main leak, maybe not

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Default rear main leak, maybe not

If you saw my post [need a dipstick] then this could help some of you. My vette started a slow leak a while back right where you would think it was the rear main also was wet up front by the crossmember. and this weekend it got pretty bad. Smoke coming out from under the hood and a smokescreen out the back all caused by the oil blown around underneath and going on the cat on passenger side. Well this had to be checked out so I opened the hood and saw oil all over the place on the passenger side. Followed the sprays and it looked like it was coming from the dipstick area. The stick looked ok from the top then I pulled it out and wow, the other side of the plastic handle was gone, the plastic just fell off and oil was squirting out from it when I would drive. Cleaned everything up, took a stick from one of my other cars , drove it around and wala no more oil under the car.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM
daddog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default No parts fix!

Happy for you, brother. Nothing is better than a "no parts fix"
also good on you to come back and tell the rest of us. I think that too many times when the mystery is solved the original poster forgets to report back with the rest of the story. dd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear main leak, maybe not