C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 Code 51

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 89 Code 51

Started the car tonight but it quickly stalled out. No check Eng etc. I attempted to restart but it would run for a few seconds then stall. repeated this 2-3x noticed that before it would stall that the upshift light would flash on and that when it would finally stall out the fan would run for a few seconds. checked for codes and got nothing. Started it again, ran for about 20 second, step on the gas to stop it from stalling and it backfired before stalling again but this time I was able to pull a code 51 (mem/cal).

Waited about 30 minutes, it restarted fine and idled it for about 5-7 minutes and drove it for a few block and no problems. rechecked for codes but still have the code 51

There is a lot of moisture in the air so I suspect (more like hoping) bad grounds to the ecm but tomorrow I plan on pulling out the ECM and reseat the mem.

Any helpful tips on pulling out the ECM?

Little history:
I've been fighting a bad idle, cleaned TB and put in new IAC but when I stop at a red light it will idle @ 900 until I tap on the gas lightly it will drop to it's normal 600.I've reset the IAC but still does this.
Also
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...out-on-me.html

Last edited by gunnerjuju; 08-18-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check if the Memcal is seated correct. If you are lucky then this is a cheap fix. This may also help your idle issues.

Another thing to look at with your idle issues are vacuum leaks.

Also, did you follow the proper procedure for setting up the IAC and TPS?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Gunner,
this sounds like bad contacts. Thing is, could be anywhere. So many are critical.
I had similar issues when I reassembled the jumper post with dirty connections. Cleaned them and problems went away. Try that if you have the jumper post behind the battery. Thats the power source for ALL control, sensors, actuators and electrical. Its fusable link, not thru the fuse panel...
Of course do the typical ground set on the rear block over oil filter....

ECM pull.....10mm socket on 6" 3/8 ext on ratchet or cordless driver,. pull cables and other harness aside, Locate the locking tabs for the 2 plugs into the ECM,. Release gently without pulling wire out. Pull plugs down, out. drop the 2 10mm and lower the ecm. Inspect it for wetness, then remove prom to look for bent pins. Use soft wire brush to clean pins and re-install...or use spare prom if you have one. Pull cover off to do visual on rest of the ecm board.
Its not bad at all. Just be mindful of the old wiring,...much of it is dry cracked, so go easy!
Hope it helps
Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 AM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Thank you lee & 86. I'll clean to jumper post behind battery also. Hopefully 86 is right and reseating the memcal will also fix my idle.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Cleaned jumper post as advised & reseated mem. Code is gone, hopefully for good. I'll take it out for long drive and hopefully all is well
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

drove 60 miles and no code. idle has settled down also. thank you all for the advice

Get notified of new replies

To 89 Code 51

Quick Reply: 89 Code 51