C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dual exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default dual exhaust question

This might sound crazy but, has anyone gotten the corvette central dual exhaust system and modify to have cats. Thinking about getting this sytem because its cheaper then all these catback sysytems and my front cats are shot anyway. I dont need to put cats on it right away, it doesnt have to be smogged for 2 years. But I do live in cali and I'm sure theres a way to modify that exhaust. Was thinking obviously a dual in dual out rear cat would work after cutting a section out. And eventually buy 2 universals for the front and just cut and clamp on.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Doesn't CA require all cats sold there to have a CARB approval stamp? If you buy a universal type of main cat like the dual-in dual-out you are describing, won't you fail the visual inspection?

I would simply have a stock exhaust that is ready to swap in when it comes time for the smog test and after you pass, switch back to whatever custom system you have/want.

The C4 exhaust system is pretty easy to remove and if two systems are independently built and fitted to the car, it would simply be a matter of unbolting one, slide in the other and bolt it up.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

C4 is correct...Ca requires a serial number and approval stamp on Cats sold and installed there. The visual inspection is the biggest reason why Ca cars fail the smog. Replacement parts like cats have to be approved by the state. Having a stock exhaust system for inspection seems quite reasonable if you want to drive an older performance car in Ca.
They are serious there...

I know people with commercial trucks that are having to send equipment to neighboring states just to place some of their "not that old" diesel powered equipment because its worthless in Ca and they can;t afford to update the engines to the new Ca standard. States surrounding Ca are writing their own laws to assist Ca in locking down the criminal motor vehicle polluters that are murdering bunnies all cross the state. They (the state of Ca) can spray poisen from aircraft all night to kill fruit flies and make people sick but God help you if you cannot prove that your 25 yr old car runs cleaner NOW than it did when it was brand new...

Some of the Ca laws are retro-active too...meaning older vehicles have to be fitted with newer emissions equipment in some cases. The greenies in control of the state have lost their tree huggin minds...They're getting even for all the years that Ahhhhnold ignored them and called them "girlie men"...

If it were me, I'd get with your local Corvette clubs and see what others are doing and how. You;re not the only one facing this and the more people you have with the same problem the more ideas you have to choose from for solutions. There is always a way..

The rules vary slightly from one county to the next. What is a sin in LA county is not an offense to the north...the rules are regional, so be sure to check your county that you are registered in.

This link may have some info you can use....

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

hope it helps

Last edited by leesvet; 08-16-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

O'Reilly's has the Magnaflow catted y-pipe for our cars for $279. Might as well just do it once and do it right.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I thought about it. And I'm going to keep it stock. Was trying to find a way to save money. I want to replace both sets of cats, front and rear. But my rear was welded on so I'd either have to buy a y pipe or new cat back if I want to make it just a bolt on again. Think I'm going to get everything minus mufflers. Mine are stock but in good shape still. Like to get flowmasters or borlas but it's not in my budget now.

Get notified of new replies

To dual exhaust question

Quick Reply: dual exhaust question