C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with a 1993 auto trans issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
oricale
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with a 1993 auto trans issue!!

Hello, I just bought a 1993 corvette and have had NO issues with this car for 1000 miles,...but two days ago the transmission just started shifting very very late(especially cold....)as well as on the freeway not shifting into 4th....

symptoms:

gears 1-2 cold shift 4700..if I let off(at the high rpms)before 4700 and put it in nuetral and put it back in gear it lightly goes to the next gear(mostly)

gears 2-3 cold shift 3500...same

HOT: 1-2 shift at 2600 and 2-3 is just fine...

I took it to aamco and they said it was due to a fault code of 26...I dont see how it could do it..but it was just becuase the air pump was disconnected

* The fluid is topped off and cherry/clear colored with no smell
* the shifting is strong and no slippage once its in the correct gear
* pulls hard.

the key points I see are this 1993 transmission shifting is controlled by the ECM..but is there a shift solenoid that would control this as well?

I corrected the issue with the code 26 but its in the history(no other codes)...would this cuase a fault in the tranny?

what else could I look for or do?

Thanks for all yoru help!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Shifting on a 93 is not controlled by the ECM, the ECM only controls the lock up converter. You have a hydraulic governor and a TV cable, see your Factory Service Manual for the correct TV cable adjustment which is unique to 93 and 93 models.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
oricale
Instructor

Default TV cable on a 1993??

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Shifting on a 93 is not controlled by the ECM, the ECM only controls the lock up converter. You have a hydraulic governor and a TV cable, see your Factory Service Manual for the correct TV cable adjustment which is unique to 93 and 93 models.

At this time I only have 1 cable that goes to my TB and it had no adjustment. Is it adjusted through the ASR?

Are these symptoms of a hydraulic govner or the TV

Neither of them have been toached..

Isn't the govner under a cap on the outside of the tranny??

Thanks for all help!!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 AM
John Robinson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not figure out how to send a copy of the FSM sheets for adjusting the ABS/ASR cables. If you have a FSM for a 93 look in section 5E2-131 for the procedure to adjust the shift points on the transmission
Old 07-19-2012, 05:09 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oricale
At this time I only have 1 cable that goes to my TB and it had no adjustment. Is it adjusted through the ASR?

Are these symptoms of a hydraulic govner or the TV

Neither of them have been toached..

Isn't the govner under a cap on the outside of the tranny??

Thanks for all help!!
Your problem could be related to the governor or TV cable or something entirely different. I would start by verifying the cable is adjusted correctly then inspect the governor if necessary. You are correct that it is located under a domed steel cap on the side of the transmission.
Here is a link to an earlier post with pages from the FSM detailing the TV cable adjustment procedure.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-problems.html
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 PM
oricale
Instructor

Default Alright I think it's fixed

Allright finally got my manuals and wet. Ahead did the adjustment!...shifts good all the way up and all the way down,...

Only question I have is that it seemed like it Boggs just a bit at 52-58 mph... Nothing serious,..I just changed to magnaflow mufflers and it's probably just more noticeable...

Also I have read if you mis-adjust the cables it can hurt the tranny, by not providing enough pressure...what's a symptom of that I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with a 1993 auto trans issue!!

Quick Reply: Need help with a 1993 auto trans issue!!