C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

power antenna doesn't go all the way down

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default power antenna doesn't go all the way down

Antenna stops approx 4 to 6 inches from being all the way down.
Is something broken or is there an easy fix?

Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

99.99% of the time this is caused by a broken nylon cable inside the antenna. You can buy just the nylon cable very cheaply from the usual Corvette parts vendors.

The fun part is getting the antenna assembly in and out of the car...

I have a vague recollection that the antenna is held together by rivets. You need to drill these out and replace them by screws.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

mine was doing the same thing 5 years ago. I kept putting wd40 in the seams and gently helping the ant up and down as it was going itself. at first it lasted one day the three etc. Now I lube it 3 to 4 times a season. working fine. A ton of dirt cam out over time.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
99.99% of the time this is caused by a broken nylon cable inside the antenna. You can buy just the nylon cable very cheaply from the usual Corvette parts vendors.

The fun part is getting the antenna assembly in and out of the car...

I have a vague recollection that the antenna is held together by rivets. You need to drill these out and replace them by screws.
Mine was also sticking, when I removed the ribbon from the unit the plastic ribbon had no teeth at the end...As long as the motor in the unit is running the ribbon can be replaced most of the time with good results...WW
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The other problem is that they used 2 different types of antenas from 1988-1992 adnd the only way to tell is pull the rear wheel and inner wheel well to see which one you have! See description below.

During the years 1988-92, GM used both Harada & ACDelco antennas. Harada antennas can be identified by a rubberized sheath around the motor; ACDelco's are without a sheath.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kenmohr
mine was doing the same thing 5 years ago. I kept putting wd40 in the seams and gently helping the ant up and down as it was going itself. at first it lasted one day the three etc. Now I lube it 3 to 4 times a season. working fine. A ton of dirt cam out over time.
It would be nice if this is the issue. Sprayed some WD40 on last night and didn't solve issue. I 'll try it a few more time. Not too crazy about the idea of taking the car apart to get at the antenna!

Dave
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the motor runs which it does there is NO need to remove the motor to replace the mast and ribbon assy. Two people are required for simple results.

Make sure you purchase the correct mast and ribbon for the type antenna you have. My 1990 has two possible types. Not sure for later models.

1. Unscrew the bezel at the top of the antenna. It's close to flush with the body. You do not have remove the rubber grommet to uscrew the bezel.

2. With your partner in the seat turn the radio on. You will guide the mast all the way out. Just keep pulling until it comes out. Lightly, no need for force.

3. Guide the new plastic ribbon/mast in to the motor hole until you can push it in no more and hold it there.

4. Your partner can turn the radio off. With the radio off you can carefully guide the mast down in to the hole. It will retract all the way in.

5. Reinstall the bezel before turning the radio back on.

6. You are done.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
If the motor runs which it does there is NO need to remove the motor to replace the mast and ribbon assy.
Depends on the year. On my '86 there is a metal hook on the end of the nylon cable that hooks on the drum. Mine has broken twice and both times it was at the point that the nylon cable joined to the hook.

Since the original poster didn't mention a year, we have to guess...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by luvchevs
It would be nice if this is the issue. Sprayed some WD40 on last night and didn't solve issue. I 'll try it a few more time. Not too crazy about the idea of taking the car apart to get at the antenna!

Dave
put some pressure on it helping it open and close. Hope it works for you.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 AM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Depends on the year. On my '86 there is a metal hook on the end of the nylon cable that hooks on the drum. Mine has broken twice and both times it was at the point that the nylon cable joined to the hook.

Since the original poster didn't mention a year, we have to guess...
Sorry I didn't post the year, it is a 1994.
Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I just found this Source for replacement C4 Antenna and cable,
way cheaper ...than anyone else: http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Ch...01993-2004.htm
they say same as OEM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
If the motor runs which it does there is NO need to remove the motor to replace the mast and ribbon assy. Two people are required for simple results.flag:
This statement is not accurate..I would suggest opening up the case to replace the ribbon. There are usually broken off pieces of the old ribbon in the case when you open it up, these will damage and break the new ribbon in a very short time if not removed...WW
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM
John Robinson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the antenna about 6 years ago and then a couple of years ago it started to do what yours is doing by not going all the way down. I have done nothing about it and most people think it is normal for the antenna to be up some.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WW7
This statement is not accurate..I would suggest opening up the case to replace the ribbon. There are usually broken off pieces of the old ribbon in the case when you open it up, these will damage and break the new ribbon in a very short time if not removed...WW

It was my experience. My old mast the ribbon was warn and there were no pieces broken off to be left inside. In my case I compared the new ribbon to the old and the old the teeth on the ribbon were warn but no pieces were missing. I'm sure not every case will be the same as mine but it is sure less aggrivating replacing just the mast if there is no trash left behind internally. It's at least worth the minor effort to remove the bezel and remove the old mast and ribbon and assess the problem.

Removing the antenna is a bugger because of the wiring harness and extra disassembly of the rear compartment to unplug the harness. It is also a challenge for anyone to get the harness grommet back in the hole during reassembly. Reaching up from the bottom is a no go because the grommet goes in the hole from the inside and getting even a small hand in the limited space from inside definately will limit success. The only "easy" way of changing the antenna or removing it to repair it is to remove the rear facia of the car. I'd have to go look but perhaps removing the left muffler would clear some space.

Thus the reason I suggested just changing the antenna mast and ribbon the simple way.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

To replace my ribbon all I did was loosen the top nut,undo the bolts to drop the unit down, undo the screws on the case, clean out the old ribbon pieces, install it back together, reinstall the unit, feed the new ribbon into the unit... Some units have rivits instead of screws that need to be drilled out. I didn't disconnect the harness or any other wires, except for a ground wire. I just let the unit hang down under the car and I worked on it like that. In the instructions I got with my replacement it said to clean out the housing incase there are pieces of the old ribbon inside. If the ribbon pulls out in one piece "I agree" you probably don't need to remove the unit and can just feed the ribbon in, but with some units the ribbon is attached to the spindle inside.For fulll access you can also remove the inner wheel well to get to the antenna....Hope this helps....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-19-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
To replace my ribbon all I did was loosen the top nut,undo the bolts to drop the unit down, undo the screws on the case, clean out the old ribbon pieces, install it back together, reinstall the unit, feed the new ribbon into the unit... Some units have rivits instead of screws that need to be drilled out. I didn't disconnect the harness or any other wires, except for a ground wire. I just let the unit hang down under the car and I worked on it like that. In the instructions I got with my replacement it said to clean out the housing incase there are pieces of the old ribbon inside. If the ribbon pulls out in one piece "I agree" you probably don't need to remove the unit and can just feed the ribbon in, but with some units the ribbon is attached to the spindle inside.For fulll access you can also remove the inner wheel well to get to the antenna....Hope this helps....WW
That is the same way I did mine, I had to open it up to get the broken pieces out.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

The first time I fiddled with mine I did take it all the way out. All the way to the work bench. I thought I had it fixed 'cause I was smart and tested it before putting it back in. Once it was back it it went up and stayed that way. There weren't any pieces inside. Then a few weeks later I just replaced the mast and ribbon by the method I stated above. If I had known then how to swap the mast I would have pulled the mast first and evaluated it. I would have saved a whole lot of cussing, smoking and drinking. My ribbon had the ribbon worn down compared to the new one.

My car has the antenna with the rubber boot over it. The mast is bigger diameter than the GM antenna. I can't remember the name of it. Also not sure what years used two different type antennas.

The PO gave me the new mast/ribbon and a whole new antenna (generic) that in no way would fit the car properly and would require wiring mods to hook it up. I gave the new antenna away and used the new mast/ribbon.

At least I now have learned the experience and don't have to repeat it.....yet.

Get notified of new replies

To power antenna doesn't go all the way down

Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Steve Goetsch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can the antenna cable be removed from the unit and plugged into a aftermarket non retracting antenna?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure, haven't messed with mine yet, it's stuck in the up position

They make a stubby replacement for the C5, haven't seen one for the C4 yet, but I'd buy one if it worked
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
I just found this Source for replacement C4 Antenna and cable,
way cheaper ...than anyone else: http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Ch...01993-2004.htm
they say same as OEM.
I used these guys to replace a bent mast on my '89 C4. I didn't have to remove the motor, just feed it thru the top after unscrewing the antenna mast nut on top, and following the proceedure posted by tbirdsps above.

The mast was OEM just as promised and went in without a hitch. Ask if they will include the antenna mast nut removal tool with the new mast, they did for me! The AC Delco antenna mast part always came with this tool.

Last edited by mako41; 08-04-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: power antenna doesn't go all the way down