C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

died then no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
kbair
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default died then no start

I have a 1992 vette with a vortech supercharger on it. (I bypassed the supercharger for testing purposes)While I was driving the car shut off. pulled over fired up no issue. ASR light came on at random dies. As weeks went on this continued only the restart times got longer and longer untill no start. Have fuel pressure, have spark at the plugs, replaced opti as the old one was cracked. Still no start. Replaced ASR unit. Tried on starting fluid spit fire back at me. ...timing is off from what I see.
Bought service manual just waiting on it arrive in the mail. In the meantime I am reaching out to all of you!
With the assumption opti was put on correctly thoughts on ECM bad as this does control timing.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I would have probably replaced the ICM before I did the opti which still might be a factor. But now there is a new unknown in the mix, a opti.

This is just a thought to consider, as I am familiar with a few threads where the timing of the opti was the problem. One was a cheap replacement where the opti was made wrong. The shaft was out of calibration to the rotor. In my opinion I just don’t think the ECM is going to cause the timing problem which you may or may not have.

Assuming you got the key correct in installing the opti, you may want to consider removing the opti and comparing it with the original as far as the key vs. the rotor position and optical plate cut out slots (the one with the large slots).

Leave the water pump off (but you need to have the sensor in the pump connected) and install the original opti trying to get back the square 1. Maybe all you needed was an ICM (as a suggestion) but you will have to figure that out as you go along.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 PM
kbair
6th Gear

Well as it turns out it had a bad ICM and a bad computer. Opti was fine minus cris crossed wires....
It seems the balancer/pulley for the Vortech is a bit large and the rack had to get pulled to remove it... JOY!
Car is running after all this. Only have to address the bouncing tach and the Service ASR light now. Ugh...
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 PM
calvette 11
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 93 veete

ICM is this the module that is in the coil bracket? I have the same problem that you had
Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
kbair
6th Gear

Yep right below the coil. Are you getting any codes? I used a paper clip to get the ICM code. Once that was replaced I was still getting bank 1 and 2 errors on the computer.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM
calvette 11
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the code I got, 16 distributor-less ignition system circuit
I replaced the coil,then the coil modual today.Now it won't sart at all.At first if would start,run good,and once it warned up it would cut off.I you waited,five minutes it would restart.I quess it is the optiacal
spark, or the computer.I replaced both of these five years ago.

Any suggestions
Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 PM
kbair
6th Gear

Well code 16 could be the opti. It usually gets thrown when the opti senses the high res pulses and not the low res ones. That could be faulty opti or ECM. With the whole warm up then shut off thing I may lean towards ECM. I know the 92's had crappy ECM's in them. I think this is one its 3rd ECM. Even GM admitted they were crappy out the door. I was lucky to find a salvage yard one for $100.00
Try resetting the code that may help.
Do you have spark? Even though that code popped you could still have spark... leaning towards ECM if you do. If you know anyone with a car like yours see if you could "borrow" theirs. Don't forget to offer beer as well.
I am in no way a master mechanic. Just a master tinkerer and speaking from the hip

Get notified of new replies

To died then no start

Quick Reply: died then no start