C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark

Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 PM
calicokid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark

Today while running my 92 Vette with the lt1 engine, Thermostat gasket blew running cooland down on the Optispark. I have heard that when coolant gets on the optispark system that it usually takesa out the optispark. My question is what is the best optispark distributor to replace it with and where is the best place to get it from, Also, is it recommended to replace the water pump when replacing the optispark?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Are you having opti issues? Doesn't mean because water ran down the opti is now toast.

Do you have more details? Car running, crappy idle, runs perfect?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
calicokid
Intermediate

Default optispark

Yes the car has a bad miss and very low power. as you bring the rpms up it seems to clear up a little but runs very bad as soon as you let off of it.
It stumbles like bad spark plugs or wires. it ran great before antifreeze bath.
calicokid
Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pry got the opti. Id go it there and do the waterpump, opti, and wires.
pretty good deals on those items are availe
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Stay away from the cheap ones from China or you will be doing the job again soon.

Really do not have a good source....just do a web search and see if you can find origin of mfg.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 AM
calicokid
Intermediate

What about the MSD? Does the MSD optispark help performance, or would I be spending way too much money just for the name.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by calicokid
What about the MSD? Does the MSD optispark help performance, or would I be spending way too much money just for the name.
MSD optispark = crapshoot.

No performance advantage.

It seems about 50/50. Some people love them, others hate them.

Many people installed an MSD optispark, and it was 'bad' right off the bat. usually they sent it in (to MSD) got it fixed, and reinstalled it and works great.

With the effort required to change it out, Id rather just put an OEM AC Delco optispark in there.

Gen I optispark are still available as new old stock. Pay the extra money and get one while you still can.

Petris makes an optispark, for 92-94. Its reasonably priced (app. $350?) I believe they take an OEM new-old-stock AC delco optispark and install custom vents.

Dont go with any of the knock off chinese (ebay) or even the 'summit' brand optisparks. the summit brand optisparks are known to have warped reluctor wheels and will idle good, but stumble at high rpm.

Also, dont get a remanufactured AC Delco optispark. The remanufacturing outfits just spraypaint a used optical sensor (the heart of the system) and call it new. I had issues with one of those.

You want the OEM part for this (dont want to be broken down in rush hour traffic on highway w/ people driving like crap (texting, etc.) around your disabled car). Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optispark