C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Problems

Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake Problems

(87 auto) Had problems with car pulling to the left when braking. Thought I had a bad caliper. Rebuilt all four calipers, changed the rubber hoses while I was in there. Went to bleed the brakes, can't get brake fluid to come out the right front caliper. All others bleed out fine.

Checked the hard line that supplies this caliper and I can't get brake fluid to come out of the junction under the master cylinder. So my guess is that I have problems farther down line?

Not sure what to check next, I know the line that supplies the right front caliper goes along the rocker panel of the car on the drivers side. I do not see any dents or pinches in the line. My next guess is the abs unit? (No abs lights and unit cycles fine)

I'm open to any thoughts at this point, thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hydraulics is even easier than electrical...follow the line to the point where it stops working.

If you have fluid moving at the master but not at the caliper the line is shut off somewhere inbetween.

Because its not the answer that you want to hear does not mean that it is not the answer...

D/C the line in question at the next junction and see where the flow stops.
I can almost gaurentee that at some point somebody pinched a line with a floor jack or running over some debris popped up and hit a line...
I've had dead tire hit my underside with such force that I could feel it thru the floor pans./..and crack the pans so its entirely possible that a line was smashed.
The pressure inside the lines it very high...so being plugged with dirt or trash is remote, possible but not likely. Get it on a lift and trace the circuit..when you find the problem linesection get a tubing bender from Harbor Freight and the correct tubing from the parts store and get to work...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Originally Posted by leesvet
Hydraulics is even easier than electrical...follow the line to the point where it stops working.

If you have fluid moving at the master but not at the caliper the line is shut off somewhere inbetween.

Because its not the answer that you want to hear does not mean that it is not the answer...

D/C the line in question at the next junction and see where the flow stops.
I can almost gaurentee that at some point somebody pinched a line with a floor jack or running over some debris popped up and hit a line...
I've had dead tire hit my underside with such force that I could feel it thru the floor pans./..and crack the pans so its entirely possible that a line was smashed.
The pressure inside the lines it very high...so being plugged with dirt or trash is remote, possible but not likely. Get it on a lift and trace the circuit..when you find the problem linesection get a tubing bender from Harbor Freight and the correct tubing from the parts store and get to work...
Thanks....I will continue to trace the line out! Time to get back under the car lol
Old 07-08-2012, 04:09 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Default Update on Brake Problem

Just to close this thread out.......I was able to bleed out the right front by starting up the car and bleeding it out using the power assist. My guess having the extra power cleared out a restriction in the line. The fluid that came out was pretty nasty.

Took it out for test ride all is well! Thanks leesvette for help!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

See?
easier than you thought it would be !

You might want to look into a set of self bleeder screws...these have a check valve that allow fluiod to exit under pressure but no air to enter...so you can bleed them easily by yourself without having to shut the screw each stroke or keep a hose submerged in fresh fluid.
I've seen dirty fluid before but never so bad that it clogged a steel line. A complete brake fluid flush might be in your future !

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Problems