C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 Vette - Idle but chokes when I press the gas

Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 AM
glewis954
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Vette - Idle but chokes when I press the gas

89 Vette has been down for 5 years. The beast is running.. I have cleaned the tank all new pump and sensor unit, new relay and fuel filter. I have not change the pressure reg. I started the car and it started, but its only idling. When I press on the gas the car cuts out.. Is it the pressure reg (not getting enough gas) or something with Throttle? Thanks

Last edited by glewis954; 06-29-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Missed title
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Those cars have classic injector problems anyway. Usually causes poor idle and power problems. And with a car sitting for 5 years I bet those injectors are shot. I would replace them anyway before I did any more troubleshooting or installed more parts.

Try FIC injectors-Jon is his name.
FIC - http://www.fuelinjectorclinic.com/

Last edited by pcolt94; 06-29-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you looked at the MAF, relays and TPS? ALL of that has to be in GOOD order before it will run.
If it won;t take throttle, that says TPS/MAF to me.
whats the fuel pressure key on idle?

what about fast idle?

Does it hold pressure key off for several hours min?

Regulator checked? set? vac line to reg checked for gas? inj leak down?

you;re just getting started my friend...a 5 yr car coma is not that easy to bring to life even if it was properly stored.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
glewis954
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the MAF, relays and TPS? ALL of that has to be in GOOD order before it will run.
If it won;t take throttle, that says TPS/MAF to me. TPS what is this .. I know what the Mass air burn off and control relays are, but not the TPS?? OK looked it up. TPS is there a relay for this as the sensor has not been touched to date. Or do I need to change this as well??

whats the fuel pressure key on idle? Have not changed. Can you tell me
When the fuel regulator is located for an 89.

what about fast idle? No the car start only at an idle I can press on the gas without this Choking out. Also I did change the Mass Air flow relays (both)

Does it hold pressure key off for several hours min? Have not changed. Can you tell me
where the fuel regulator is located for an 89.

Regulator checked? set? vac line to reg checked for gas?(see note above) inj leak down? No leak

you;re just getting started my friend...a 5 yr car coma is not that easy to bring to life even if it was properly stored. Problem was it was not store right. Got remarried, I had to beg to keep car.. so you see were that when… lol
I am looking for corvette friend to work with on the project. So far the site has been great. I am looking to join to site.

Last edited by glewis954; 06-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 Vette - Idle but chokes when I press the gas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 Vette - Idle but chokes when I press the gas