C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front shock hardware

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
85z51vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front shock hardware

Hi all,

I recently put some OE standard Bilsteins on the front of my car to replace some Gabriels a previous owner had put on (both Gabriels had failed, no longer fully rebound). All of the OE shock hardware for the top mount had been discarded when the aftermarket shocks were installed. The Bilsteins I'm installing are used (taking a chance, I know. They were from a low-mile part out of a late C4, compress and rebound normally, no signs of leaking, and were inexpensive) and came with the correct upper bushings, the lower that snaps into the shock tower from below and the upper that positions over it. My question is how many bushing retainers should there be? The shocks came with what I'm assuming are two OEM steel retainers...total. I'm using one on the top for each side...should there be lower retainers as well? Pretty sure I know the answer, but wanted to confirm before I set out on a snipe hunt. Right now I'm re-using two retainers off of the Gabriel set up, but they are smaller in diameter and are not as thick as OE.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Front shock hardware