C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'92 c4 lt1 heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 AM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 c4 lt1 heater core replacement

Since I'm a girl and I HATE taking my vehicles to mechanics I figured removal/replaceing the heater core wouldn't be too hard if I followed either my Hayes or Chiliton ... between the two everything should be covered.

So ... I managed to get the heater core out and installed the new one. I've secured it in place with the bracket ... and that was a real PITA ... but I managed to get it done and pretty proud of the fact since I did it all myself ... unfortunately I now have wires hanging and brackets, etc., that I'm pretty sure I know where they go but I'm still a little unsure and don't wan't to go thru that nightmare again if I hook something up incorrectly ... I've got everything in the order that I removed it so it shouldn't be problem putting everything back together but ...

Anyone have a wiring schematic that shows the wiring harness INSIDE the dash ??? I just wanna make sure that I hook everything back together the right way ...

Any suggestions where I can look or anyone have one they can post? I would really appreciate any guidance, advice, suggestions or comments ... Thanks!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 93 G. M. FSM I could scan the schematic if you think it would help
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 87bob
The 92 and 93 are close enough for this schematic to help her.

Lolo - now before you do anything else buy yourself a Helms factory service manual for your year. New they are just over $100, used prices are all over the map. 10000 times beter than Haynes, 1000 times beter than chiltons.

I am in awe that you were able to change the heater core without it

You
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992

Lolo - now before you do anything else buy yourself a Helms factory service manual for your year. New they are just over $100, used prices are all over the map. 10000 times beter than Haynes, 1000 times beter than chiltons.

You
Me to.

Think how good you can be with the FSMs that actually relate exactly to the car and specific systems instead of a generic basic book.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ashamed of myself My core has been sitting on my kitchen table for months and I have been creating other projects to avoid doing it
Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by caddyboy84
I'm ashamed of myself My core has been sitting on my kitchen table for months and I have been creating other projects to avoid doing it
Well get to it then. If a woman can do it with just a chiltons and a haynes you can do it!

Lolo you still

(I'm bumping this so others can see what can be done with perseverence)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Not many gals driving C4's, and I'm sure very few wrenching on them. Kudos on taking on one of the worst C4 projects! I've been wrenching for 35 years, but when my core goes, I'm having a shop do it.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 87bob
that would be really appreciated. My email is isquaw7070@yahoo.com

Thank you!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 PM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

You
I just did ... THANKS!! Definately worth the money ...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 PM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

Well get to it then. If a woman can do it with just a chiltons and a haynes you can do it!

Lolo you still

(I'm bumping this so others can see what can be done with perseverence)
My little girl almost looks like yours ... I have C5 rims on mine ...
Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 PM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2

Congratulations to you !!

Most C-4 owners that have replaced their heater cores, (I've done my '93 and '92 both), will confer that the heater core was suspended from the ceiling and the car was built around it.

The schematics will definitely help, BUT, the '93 schematic will not show the radio amp as that was relocated to the rear passenger compartment.

I have '92 schematic if you are in need of it. ALSO be sure of this. There are 2 white connectors that are the same EXCEPT the wires are not the same. If they get "Cross connected" the car will not start. Check that the wire colors are continuous on both sides of the connectors.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Originally Posted by larry93lt1
Congratulations to you !!

Most C-4 owners that have replaced their heater cores, (I've done my '93 and '92 both), will confer that the heater core was suspended from the ceiling and the car was built around it.

The schematics will definitely help, BUT, the '93 schematic will not show the radio amp as that was relocated to the rear passenger compartment.

I have '92 schematic if you are in need of it. ALSO be sure of this. There are 2 white connectors that are the same EXCEPT the wires are not the same. If they get "Cross connected" the car will not start. Check that the wire colors are continuous on both sides of the connectors.
You are correct on that one. I have pulled my engine three times replace a dana 36 with a 44. Rewired a butchered wiring job on a Gen 7. But the heater core is a bitch. End of story

This picture shows the core out and the butchered wiring. All is well now, actually better than factory...

Old 05-27-2012, 01:34 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I'd rather pull my engine. Thats why my core is still on my kitchen table, my broken back and having neuro-surgery done on my spine in 07 don't help If my sergeon knew I bought a Vette, he'd stab me to death
Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Originally Posted by caddyboy84
I agree, I'd rather pull my engine. Thats why my core is still on my kitchen table, my broken back and having neuro-surgery done on my spine in 07 don't help If my sergeon knew I bought a Vette, he'd stab me to death

I am 69, I too have had back surgery, and I replaced the heater core a couple months ago. It really helps to take the seat out. Its just a PITA getting everything back together, there are two nuts that are crazy difficult to get back on. No doubt that the GM engineers had their heads in a dark stinky place when they designed the C4

Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 AM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

I would appreciate it ... I think I'm just about finished now I just have to put the air ducting back in place and the rest of the bigger parts but I would like to check the wiring before I do that. Thanks!!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 AM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

You rock!!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 AM
lolovette
Heel & Toe

THANK YOU ... THANK YOU ... THANK YOU!! To everyone who contributed to gettin my little baby up and running ... (that's what I'm doing right now!!!) I did it ... I did it ... I did it ... AND I WON'T BE DOIN IT AGAIN!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To '92 c4 lt1 heater core replacement

Quick Reply: '92 c4 lt1 heater core replacement