C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Overheating?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Put the a/c on that will turn on the cooling fans. These cars run cooler with the a/c fan on in traffic.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Stupid me, I forgot to tighten a hose clamp on the underside and ran it for 2 days befor it blew off on Friday. I further screwed up and tried to run it after putting some coolant in but wasn't enough. When I shut it off my digital display for oil temp was 312 degrees, water temp was 268 before it would not display correctly showed 142. The analog gauges were pegged. Stated blowing blue smoke probably from hot oil blowing by the rings and than I shut it down. There was other circumstances involved, no I wasn't drinking. I was using 0W-30 AMSOIL Signature Series oil and a EA 25,000 mile filter. Had about 12,000 miles on it. I should have just stopped at the first signs of the problem. I can't believe my stupidity on this. I will get it back in the garage, drain the oil and send a sample in and flush radiator and see what happens. May be a long while before I get this running again, probably won't be in my lifetime!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scotth48
... I will get it back in the garage, drain the oil and send a sample in and flush radiator and see what happens.
At 312F, the viscosity of the 0w30 will be below 30% of what it is at 212F, but if you were being easy on the engine at that point, you should be fine. Hopefully that is as hot as the oil really got.

I've had the same problem occur at the track when I was at full rpm/throttle. Noted it immediately, but still...

I think testing your oil is a good call and should give you peace of mind that all is well.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 PM
C422
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Your "thinking" is incorrect. For normal operating temps, wear and power.
If you have a car that is more efficient with a cooler engine, you should apply for a Noble Prize, because you just disproved the Carnot Cycle. You'll be a billionaire when Ford, GM, BMW, etc. fight over your car. Throw Frigidair, Kenmore, etc in there, too. Infinite energy isn't possible, sorry.

Quick Reply: Overheating?!?!?!?!!?!?!