C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM
wschmidt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Question

So I understand that it is kind of dumb to do an EGR delete, but having said that, the EGR and AIR system on my car has already been taken out and trying to find all the hoses is going to be a real PIA. The EGR has not been tuned out of the cars ECM/PROM. Would it make sense to unplug the solenoid so that the ECM knows the EGR system is not active? I understand that I will have an annoying SES light, but I am thinking that hopefully if the solenoid is unplugged then the ECM will know there is no EGR and hopefully has alternate methods off cooling the cylinder temps and avoiding predetonation when it knows the EGR is inoperative. I am basically looking for a temporary fix until I either A) find someone to tune out the EGR or B) find the appropriate parts to add it back in. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how I can safely drive the car until I find the proper fix?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

keep a sharp eye on your water temp while driving at part throttle (cruise type driving)...if water temp goes a bit above normal, the ecm has tried to 'lean' out the fuel/air ratio and you could do big $ engine damage during extended run...expect the MIL light to come on at 'constant' speed over 40+ mph as the ecm may do a 'self-check' of the egr and see bad.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
wschmidt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So even with the EGR connector unplugged, you think it would still do that? The ECM doesnt have some sort of limp mode when the EGR is bad or unplugged?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The ECM has a way to determine whether or not the EGR valve is operating. On the '80s cars there was the infamous EGR temperature switch, but that was eliminated some time in the '90s and the ECM used another method (I don't remember the details). The ECM will set an error code (32 on older cars, but that could have changed) if it sees that the EGR is not operating. The ECM only commands EGR if certain conditions are met, such as coolant temperature, engine run time and MPH, so the condition is transient. The symptoms are that the SES (or whatever it's called in your car) light will come on during cruise but go away if the engine is shut off and restarted.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Question

Quick Reply: EGR Question