C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

383 Oil Leak when running

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 383 Oil Leak when running

1990 auto 383 (original block)

So I have noticed a slight bit of oil residue for a while on the trans pan and flywheel dust cover. But, this weekend I took the car out and its apparently gotten worse, to the point of I could see the drops on the driveway where I drove the car. I put something under the car to see how much was leaking but hardly anything dripped while the car was off. It was only leaking badly when it was running. I'm thinking rear main but can you guys give me an idea of what else to check as well. Also I can't remember if this thing has a 1 or 2 piece rear. and if anyone can give me a good way to check to see for sure if its the rear main before I go tearing into it that would be appreciated.

BTW the motors only got ~10K miles on it, if that. Built about 4-5 years ago.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

TPI intake manifolds are notorious for leaking, usually in the rear. There's also an oil pressure sender mounted to the top of the block behind the distributor. Either would probably fall to the ground in similar areas. I'd probably look into those two before I tried replacing the rear main seal, which is one piece BTW

Quick Reply: 383 Oil Leak when running