C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pictures of my homemade front air-dam.....I like it.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks very nice, my only concern would be is it as low as the original air dam? if so will it get dragged? were will the force's go if it gets dragged?

my plastic gets "ground" from time to time, but does nothin to the car!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. I little crude but it works. My water temps never exceed 180 on track but I like yours and will look at something like that for installing a splitter.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Canam

Here's mine. I little crude but it works. My water temps never exceed 180 on track but I like yours and will look at something like that for installing a splitter.
DUDE THAT CAR LOOKS TUFF!! Like I said, that stock brace will allow you to do anything, I'm probably gonna kick around a few more ideas and actually my dam is a litter higher than stock. I love yours and it fits the car, but that would rip right off in my driveway.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 04-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kimmer
Looks good, makes me want to build a better one than the one I did.
I really like yours, I'd rather have mine look like this. Back to the drawing board Mine stands out too much, this looks stock, I love it
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Canam
Pro

Caddyboy84 said "that car looks tough"
Here's a shot of the "office"
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Canam
Caddyboy84 said "that car looks tough"
Here's a shot of the "office"
Thats all buisiness, calling it the office is very appropriate In New York City the streets are so bad that I always said the streets weren't Corvette friendly but I always wanted one, so here I am. My car didn't "rattle" when I first got it (was an out of state car) now I got a few noises but I think for a Vette it aint that bad. I just gotta take the driver door panel back off and see what it is, sounds like the window tensioner. Seeing all these pics makes me want to get to Vegas even quicker, but the family obligations make me have to wait a while. This city really is a toilet bowl and you don't see many nice rides driving around. Though I've had my share of "HOT" cars (don't mean stolen) it's very hard to do here. No trustworthy shops, no parts, prices for things are triple the price as other places. My progress has been slow with my cars because I try not to do buisiness here (a matter of principal) so I use the internet to get what I need and I do all my own work. Keep up the good work everyone and say a silent prayer for all of us trapped in the most unconstitutional place in the country to live (and expensive.). with the worst roads, and worst drivers,and....and....I'll be out soon.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 04-06-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Canam
Pro

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
As I understand it (Just a hobbiest, not an engineer although I have read a few aero books), the air dam does push the air up into the radiator (Function #1), as well as add front end lift based on where it is located. Also pushes air around the sides of the front of the car, to keep it from going under the body and creating drag (function 2). It is not an optimal or hightech solution. it does the job for all the average joes.

With this in mind, that is why people end up using a splitter. to divide the air above and below the car. The only problem is, the air still gets jammed up under the nose and creates lift. The only way I can figure to solve it, would be to push the dam out to the front of the nose. thus giving you something to hit on everything. The only solution to fixing that, would be to have a front end lift system to lift the front of the cars suspension over speed bumps, or go active aero, where the front dam/spoiler retracts, or you use a softer material that can be destroyed and replaced.

If you look at most top speed corvettes... Those guys running 200mph or so, they all have some sort of front spoiler system that divides and pushes the air around the body located at the nose's leading edge. Making it look like a race car, or funny depending on how it is done.
Yes, you should probably move the facia out flat against the outer edge of the nose but your still going to benefit from the splitter without doing that. The air moving under the car with a splitter and belly pan is going to pull the car down far more than the wayward air will cause lift.
For the air inlet like mine and the blue car pictured the key is to build a tin box behind it attached right to the radiator. Incoming air will accelerate more and not rise causing lift also. I have that on mine. Kinda a la Nascar thing.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Hotred94
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C4 nose has always been a hindrance to ground dynamics. The nose is so far out in front of the dam. The C5 and C6 are fully open on the top at the point of air contact, but not so on the C4. Air gets trapped under that nose and just can't get out easily. It has to go around the sides or under the car. Those design constraints make splitters less effective and belly pans more important. Caddyboy has the right idea, to move everything forward to the front plain of the nose. That whole front cavity needs to be filled in. A splitter would help his car much more than a stock C4.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hotred94
The C4 nose has always been a hindrance to ground dynamics. The nose is so far out in front of the dam. The C5 and C6 are fully open on the top at the point of air contact, but not so on the C4. Air gets trapped under that nose and just can't get out easily. It has to go around the sides or under the car. Those design constraints make splitters less effective and belly pans more important. Caddyboy has the right idea, to move everything forward to the front plain of the nose. That whole front cavity needs to be filled in. A splitter would help his car much more than a stock C4.
To tell the truth, if not for City ground clearance I would love to use a NASCAR style front clip, because there is plenty of room for that on a C4. If all was right with the world, I would bring the tunnel all the way to the front and make a grill like a newer Vette and have a facia about 3 or 4 inches from the ground that wrapped around to the front wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pictures of my homemade front air-dam.....I like it.