C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Horn wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 04:32 PM
BCinPhx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn wiring

Ok, sounds goofy but, I want my horn to work..the PO has removed or cut off the wire running -I guess down the steering column - at least I can't find it. I also can't find an electrical diagram in any manual I have telling me color of wire in circuit, etc. I hate to tear up the harness on the driver's side all the way to the horn to find the correct wire....any help IS appreciated.
:nonod:
Old 05-19-2002, 05:11 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Horn wiring (BCinPhx)

Hey Bill,
My horn is on the blink too. Although, the VAT alarm horn works fine!! I've replaced the horn relay behind the "driver information panel", but still doesn't work. I'm now awaiting the arrival of my GM service manual that I just purchased on ebay for $57. I'm hoping for a wiring diagram to look at too. I need to check for two horns under the hood also. My alarms activates the right horn, but I don't think the left side makes a peep. More checking ahead!!!

You may want to replace your horn relay first, cost about $8-9 if I remember correctly, at Pep Boys. If I discover anything new. I'll let you know.

:seeya Dennis

[Modified by fixvet, 1:13 PM 5/19/2002]
Old 05-19-2002, 05:58 PM
BCinPhx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Horn wiring (fixvet)

Thanks,
Any info will be appreciated. What do you get with your service manual...just parts and illustrations or troublshooting too?
I have a CD coming with the parts illustrations and numbers soon. :)

[Modified by BCinPhx, 2:59 PM 5/19/2002]
Old 05-19-2002, 06:07 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Horn wiring (BCinPhx)

Not sure if mine will include part #'s, but it has alot of pictures, illustrations, and just basic wiring diagrams. GM also has another manual called, Electrial Wiring and Diagnostics specifically for electrical problems. I don't have one yet, but have been watching ebay.com for one of those also. Your parts no. book should be very helpful, if and when you ever need to order from GM parts. I should be rec'vg my GM service manual in a couple of days.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Horn wiring (fixvet)

The 86 should be like the 87. There is a black wire that runs from the horn ring in the steering column down to the horn relay which is right behind the instrument panel. It is a small relay on the right of the starter enable relay and the audio alarm module. I suspect that the ground wire that is leading to the horn ring is not grounded properly. However, if the steering wheel has been off before, it could be that the mechanism was not reinstalled properly. I would remove the steering wheel and check that first. When you get the wheel off, ground the black wire from the horn ring to a reliable ground and see if you have any sound. If you don't, you can trace that wire down to the horn relay and check for continuity. This all is based on your alarm working and being able to hear the horns.
:cheers:

I forgot to add that the left and right horns are wired together and join in the engine compartment. The wire that you are looking for is a BLK SGL / GRN and runs to the main harness connector in the firewall and then to the horn relay.

I hope that this helps.
:cheers:

Also, the manual that you guys should be buying if you want to get all the info and diagrams is the GM Shop Manual for your particular year. Make sure that you get all the updates for the wiring.

[Modified by Sharky Guam, 8:37 AM 5/20/2002]

[Modified by Sharky Guam, 8:42 AM 5/20/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Horn wiring

Quick Reply: Horn wiring