C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 01:04 AM
chamilton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !!

I installed a K&N a few weeks ago and though I noticed a bit of a difference in power, but not too much. I had been planning on doing the open air lid mod but hadn't done it yet.

Cut the lid open tonight, and took it out for a burn. Holy crap !!! Made quite a bit of a difference. Could feel a definite power increase, and seemed to have a bit more up top too... Not bad for a free mod !!

Thanks to whoever thought this one up.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:42 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (chamilton)

:rolleyes: sorry, but I think you felt more than what was there. I have numbers to prove there is no power gain from this mod.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:49 AM
tarheelracer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (Mr Mojo)

I don't know, maybe the air was cooler or your tires gripped better. Whenever I do something, I mentally think I'm going faster, but I'm doubting much of a performance gain.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:07 AM
daves87
Instructor

Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (chamilton)

I noticed a small increase as well. It deffinately sounds better. :cheers:
Old 05-19-2002, 12:39 PM
90Z51Vette
Racer

My open cover sounds :cool: at WOT. Does it make much measurable power increase? Probably not much, but certainly more than the throttle body airfoil...

:cheers:
Old 05-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (90Z51Vette)

My open cover sounds :cool: at WOT. Does it make much measurable power increase? Probably not much, but certainly more than the throttle body airfoil...

:cheers:
If it makes an increase, it would be too small to measure.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:04 PM
98nassau
Instructor

Cut the lid open tonight, and took it out for a burn. Holy crap !!! Made quite a bit of a difference. Could feel a definite power increase, and seemed to have a bit more up top too... Not bad for a free mod !!

Power increase? :nonod: Sound increase :yesnod:
Old 05-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (black96coupe)

I'm not even bother to do it on my car until I get into the motor. For a stock car, a K&N with stock lid works just fine. (Don't even need the K&N really)

Old 05-19-2002, 02:31 PM
Hole-Shot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a test on this at the dragstrip.
I made several runs with the uncut lid in place and with the K&N filter in place. I then took off the lid and the K&N air filter, and made a couple more runs.

The result....... absolutely no gain. :nonod:

I am not saying that it isn't possible to attain a slight increase in performance from an open lid. It is just my experience that it showed no measurable gain at all.

Old 05-19-2002, 02:48 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

We are going to go you Micro butt for now on since your butt can measure down to the Micron. :lol: :D :jester

Cool that you posted the info.
:cool:

But doing this mod will only gain you a few horses if even that. No way you can tell. Maybe the temp outside was cooler, maybe the engine was cooler, who knows. Anyways, what matters is that it feels faster to you. :D :cool: :cheers:

Old 05-19-2002, 03:21 PM
chamilton
Advanced

Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (ConeKLR)

"Micro Butt", thats hilarious !! This is sounding a lot like the florida ridings in the presidential election. I'ts faster, no its not. Ok, well I better do a recount of each speed run. Oops there were a lot of runs that were screwed up cause I read the streeet signs wrong and and had to fight traffic. AAAGGHHH !!! I guess I will never really know.

That air foil is another story. I wasted about 3 minutes putting that in while I was re-re ing my throttle body. I already had it, as it was thrown in with the car sale. Now there's a great mod.... NOT !! I figured it was useless, but decided it couldn't hurt, and it freed up some space in one of my workbench drawers.

Old 05-19-2002, 07:44 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !! (tarheelracer)

Sounds louder...no more power with that mod...been there...modded that :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !!

Quick Reply: I did the open Air Lid mod, holy cow, what a difference !!