C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thoughts on this block

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on this block

I'm looking for some opinions on buying one of these blocks from summit versus buying a shortblock from a friend. The way I see it, the block from summit would be cheaper in the long run. My friend says that he doesn't like the fact that the cylinder bores are already honed, but I don't see what the problem with that is...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150100/
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean your friend's short block or your friends block? A short block has pistons, crank, rods and that to me sounds way better than just a block you would have to assemble. Unless you are going for something different like upgrading.

I think if you are more specfic on what you are doing you might get better answers. Depending on what you are going for depends on which block would be best.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Right, he's got a shortblock 350 but I'm going to be building a 383. All I'm interested in is the block itself from him.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Have you built an engine before? Why would you buy a short block 350, which presumably has all the work done on the crank, rods, and pistons, then throw all that away to build a 383? Will you want to use the same camshaft? He must be giving one heck of a deal!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Different pistons/ring packages may want a slightly different finish hone on it to fit perfect is only thing to really be concerned about (for ring seat/proper piston to wall clearance)
Find out what piston you want to use find the spec sheet on it go from there.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tehcarguy
The way I see it, the block from summit would be cheaper in the long run.

You would struggle to get a junkyard block and have that machining done at a shop for that price given it is already clearanced for a stroker crank
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Have you built an engine before? Why would you buy a short block 350, which presumably has all the work done on the crank, rods, and pistons, then throw all that away to build a 383? Will you want to use the same camshaft? He must be giving one heck of a deal!
This will be my first build, but I have watched my dad build enough when I was younger to know what I'm doing. The shortblock he has came out of a truck and he just took off the heads and intake, so the crank rods and pistons have some miles on them. Everything in theis engine is stock.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetteoz

You would struggle to get a junkyard block and have that machining done at a shop for that price given it is already clearanced for a stroker crank
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm using one. Got it last March. Can't believe it's been a year and I'm still working on it! I'm pacing myself, Sergent.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1577219642-post14.html

Here is what it's looking like now:

Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Details on the build?
Is that a polished base I see?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:56 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
I'm using one. Got it last March. Can't believe it's been a year and I'm still working on it! I'm pacing myself, Sergent.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1577219642-post14.html

Here is what it's looking like now:

Lookin' good Ray... I trust that we will see you at Carlisle again this year... You know we will have some Frosty Cold Refreshments.. Now back to your regularly schedulded thread..
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by tehcarguy
This will be my first build, but I have watched my dad build enough when I was younger to know what I'm doing.
....this won't end well.

Regarding the original question: The block is not a bad deal but I wouldn't want the bores to have their finish hone. In addition I would want to know if the block is decked, has it been align bored (it looks like it was just honed), etc. Lots of unknowns. Even once you know the answers, you'll still want to have it checked by a machine shop to verify all the work. Way too much time, effort, and money to blindly assume that everything is ok.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
....this won't end well.

Regarding the original question: The block is not a bad deal but I wouldn't want the bores to have their finish hone. In addition I would want to know if the block is decked, has it been align bored (it looks like it was just honed), etc. Lots of unknowns. Even once you know the answers, you'll still want to have it checked by a machine shop to verify all the work. Way too much time, effort, and money to blindly assume that everything is ok.
I await Ray on these questions...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

....this won't end well.
What are you trying to say? It says it comes with line honed mains and line bored cam bearings. I was also worried about the cylinders coming honed but like nutz4c4 said, we'll wait for what Ray has to say about this.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Lookin' good Ray... I trust that we will see you at Carlisle again this year... You know we will have some Frosty Cold Refreshments.. Now back to your regularly schedulded thread..
that's purdy Ray.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

As I said in the original post, after clean up of the rust, the bores were fine for my SRP forged 30 over pistons. I did have my machine shop do a finish/plateau hone for the JE rings that I used. Also had the machine shop do an align hone. They said it would have been alright as is, but as I was swapping the main bolts for ARP studs... Again from my original post, during preassembly, I found the piston to deck varied from 8 and a half to 14 and a half thousandths in the hole. Had the machine shop deck it and during the most recent preassembly, the piston to deck is now within 1 thou of zero deck.

So as others have suggested, best not to uncrate and start building, but have your machine shop give it a once over. Only you can decide if it's a good deal for you. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-06-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

best not to uncrate and start building, but have your machine shop give it a once over.
Good on you thats how it should be done
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Hey Mike! Things have changed a bit in my work schedule and it's looking like I may not be able to make it. It's a long way off, so it may still be possible, but looking more and more unlikely at this point. I will be going to the DC area at the end of the month though if anyone in the area wants to meet for an adult beverage or five!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
As I said in the original post, after clean up of the rust, the bores were fine for my SRP forged 30 over pistons. I did have my machine shop do a finish/plateau hone for the JE rings that I used. Also had the machine shop do an align hone. They said it would have been alright as is, but as I was swapping the main bolts for ARP studs... Again from my original post, during preassembly, I found the piston to deck varied from 8 and a half to 14 and a half thousandths in the hole. Had the machine shop deck it and during the most recent preassembly, the piston to deck is now within 1 thou of zero deck.

So as others have suggested, best not to uncrate and start building, but have your machine shop give it a once over. Only you can decide if it's a good deal for you. Good luck what ever you decide to do.
Forgot to mention, but if you read my referenced post, you'll see that I also had to touch up some of the clearancing they did for the stroker crank and H-Beam rods. It may have been fine for some combination of stroker crank and rods, but mine were a bit tight on some and actually zero clearance at one point, so again, need to check everyting regardless what the description says. I was happy with the deal as I didn't mind the extra work and enjoy the tinkering more that the actual driving. Probably why a year later, the engine still isn't done!

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on this block

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this block