C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 L98 Intake gasket urgent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 L98 Intake gasket urgent?

Hey guys, Been workin on my lady. Put the dash gauges in after refurbishing by Bob perkins (fleabay guy) they look great. Bypassed the vats key, finally! Removed the blose door speaker box, replaced with alpines, dynamated the doors. New lock swithes, fan relay. Feelin good... until...

I notice high temps, low fluid, then... a small leak of coolant at the front drivers side, between intake and the head. WTF?

How serious is this, is this an urgent repair? The oil looks clean w no water, the coolant is clean, i dont think im burning off oil. Whats my next move guys?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its really a afternoons work to take it down to the intake manifold. Basically disconnect and reassemble. (Makes it easy if you don't have all the vaccum lines) might as well learn cause you will do it a lot. I estimate I've done it 12 times since my first 87 5 years ago.

Really if its not leaking really bad and not going in oil or heads its no big deal. Keep her full. But I wouldn't wait too long. They have a tendancy to get worse quickly. Get it in your oil when you don't realize it can burn up stuff.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Btw if you are good and have all the parts it should take about 6 hours. Remember to mark the distributor. That is the hardest part and easiest to mess up. Good thing is if its wrong you will know when it back fires. Takes me about 2.5 to 3 hours to change a manifold gasket.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can i tighten those front two manifold bolts like a quarter turn then run some stop leak to get me through the summer, or is this a tomorrow and a twelve pak deal?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

park it or fix it unless you want to end up with a doorstop for an engine. A coolant leak is not to be taken lightly.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 L98 Intake gasket urgent?

Quick Reply: 1987 L98 Intake gasket urgent?