C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 l98 Will not crank over

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Default 87 l98 Will not crank over

Yea it will not crank at all ... All the lights come on like normal..
I can hear the fuel pump prime up..

I also installed a MAM Vats bypass to see if that was the issue it changed nothing.

I checked all the fuses all looked good.

I also tryed starting it in neutral still nothing...

From reading all i can find is locked up starter or a wire is grounding out somewhere?

Is there any other causes to this problem? Thx,

Also any pictures or video anyone might need i can provide.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a loop in the wiring harness at the bottom near the starter, water and corrosion collects there....

You could always use two screwdrivers to touch and ground the wires at the starter to see if it bumps.....
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I wouldn't bother with it. Why not just drive the C6 you tell all your gamer buddies on the net that you own? Remember, from your other profiles, this one;

FYI, Lemans Blue was not available this year so you may want to check your RPO codes and get the right color to us

However if you want to drive the L98, pull the starter off and see if it's locked up. Easier than checking all the electronics.

Last edited by Jon Hekking; 03-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
I wouldn't bother with it. Why not just drive the C6 you tell all your gamer buddies on the net that you own? Remember, from your other profiles, this one;

FYI, Lemans Blue was not available this year so you may want to check your RPO codes and get the right color to us

However if you want to drive the L98, pull the starter off and see if it's locked up. Easier than checking all the electronics.
Help the issue or find another post.
I drive a 2008 Honda Accord Ex-L..

Trying to get this Pos to start so i can sell the car and get away from it.These 80s Vettes are money pits
and i want nothing to do with it...
I have my Car Posted for sale for 4000$.

Last edited by Jamie Lennartson; 03-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And we're off....
Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

So 1 it could be Starter
Or 2 it could be the ignition?

Trying to narrow everything down.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hokies83
So 1 it could be Starter
Or 2 it could be the ignition?

Like I said. drop the starter and see if it's locked, apparently you didn't read that far. It may well be grounded and shot, especially if the car has been sitting outside in a cold wet place like Roanoke.

Funny, you didn't mention a ricer on any of your profiles on the other sites, looked again and nope, just the C4 and C6. Although the C6 pics are taken in Richmond. Did you move? Why not just fire up the C6 and part out the POS? I think $4K is a little high though. From what I've seen of it anyways plus the fact that now it doesn't run. What a difference a year makes don't you think?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be anything in the starter circuit.
ign switch
starter relay
safety switch
starter solenoid
or a bad connection somewhere
Have to follow the power through from Ign switch to starter solenoid terminal until it disappears

1st do as told above and hot wire the starter to see if it actually works
if it does you have a wiring problem
If it doesn't then buy a new starter

Last edited by vetteoz; 03-03-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Like I said. drop the starter and see if it's locked, apparently you didn't read that far. It may well be grounded and shot, especially if the car has been sitting outside in a cold wet place like Roanoke.

Funny, you didn't mention a ricer on any of your profiles on the other sites, looked again and nope, just the C4 and C6. Although the C6 pics are taken in Richmond. Did you move? Why not just fire up the C6 and part out the POS? I think $4K is a little high though. From what I've seen of it anyways plus the fact that now it doesn't run. What a difference a year makes don't you think?
There are 2 87 c4s selling in my Area for over 10k.. and an 85 for 9k..
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=

My paint is nicer then all of there's And 4k is a rock bottom price for someone to take it off my hands but me not get robbed at the sametime.

And no I live in Blue Ridge now and have a 2 car garage.

And my Accord is not a Ricer it is 100% stock and staying that way... I even have the *Energy tires* on it. For better mpg. im seeing almost 40mpg highway....

Last edited by Jamie Lennartson; 03-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

There are 2 87 c4s selling in my Area for over 10k.. and an 85 for 9k...

Asking price ( dreaming ) and what broke people are prepared to pay are completely different
Buyer's market at present
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

I also installed a MAM Vats bypass to see if that was the issue it changed nothing..
How do you know that something VATS related is still not the problem
There is more to VATS that just throwing that resistor in
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteoz
How do you know that something VATS related is still not the problem
There is more to VATS that just throwing that resistor in
When i shut the door and turn the key on my security light is not blinking.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

There are 2 87 c4s selling in my Area for over 10k.. and an 85 for 9k..
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=

My paint is nicer then all of there's And 4k is a rock bottom price for someone to take it off my hands but me not get robbed at the sametime.

And no I live in Blue Ridge now and have a 2 car garage.

And my Accord is not a Ricer it is 100% stock and staying that way... I even have the *Energy tires* on it. For better mpg. im seeing almost 40mpg highway....
So $4K for a car with great paint, a torn up cloth interior, if I remember right a bad bumper and doesn't run, right? Sounds like a parts car to me. Too bad you can't sell the paint job to someone.

Asking over $10K is one thing, getting it is another. These are lower mileage cars that look cleaner and are much better optioned than yours. Things like leather and not torn up cloth, bad bumper and much, much more desirable color and I don't care how nice the paint is, it's still gold. Plus, both of these run, yours doesn't seem to.

Just sayin, part the POS out and drive your C6, or did you trade it in on a used Accord?

Last edited by Jon Hekking; 03-03-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

So $4K for a car with great paint, a torn up cloth interior, if I remember right a bad bumper and doesn't run, right? Sounds like a parts car to me. Too bad you can sell the paint job to someone.

Asking over $10K is one thing, getting it is another. These are lower mileage cars that look cleaner and are much better optioned than yours. Things like leather and not torn up cloth, bad bumper and much, much more desirable color and I don't care how nice the paint is, it's still gold. Plus, both of these run, yours doesn't seem to.

Just sayin, part the POS out and drive your C6, or did you trade it in on a used Accord?
My car has 75k miles on it smart guy and nothing is wrong with the bumper...
Staples to fix my drivers set were a whole 3$ And yes my car has the Z52 package with the G92 performance axle so my car has more options then theres..

You need to grow up and get your stupid *** out of here cause your bull **** has gone on long enough...

Screw off let me get my car fixed so i can get it sold and be gone from corvettes and never have to hear any of your **** again.

I left these forums and lost all interest in Corvettes because of you... Your Harassment has gone on for Years. Every time i see my car i think of you and want to punch the door in.
It is real easy to talk smack behind a computer monitor. I dont want your help i dont want your shrewd advice and i dont want your Disrespectful comments. Vettoz is a real pro and has all the advice and help i need.

So quit trolling me before i go to the Admins.
Over reasons u were warned for many many times in the past.

You are not the only one who was in a Corvette club.. Everybody loves the color of my car... I love the color of my car.. And my Accord is almost the exact same color.

And i will get 4k very easy with it not running ive had multi offers of 3500ish but i turned them down... I am trying to get it running and ask 5k... if you must know.

Last edited by Jamie Lennartson; 03-03-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:27 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Ill be damned. The Hulkster out of hibernation.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

My car has 75k miles on it smart guy and nothing is wrong with the bumper...
Staples to fix my drivers set were a whole 3$ And yes my car has the Z52 package with the G92 performance axle so my car has more options then theres..

You need to grow up and get your stupid *** out of here cause your bull **** has gone on long enough...

Screw off let me get my car fixed so i can get it sold and be gone from corvettes and never have to hear any of your **** again.

I left these forums and lost all interest in Corvettes because of you... Your Harassment has gone on for Years. Every time i see my car i think of you and want to punch the door in.
It is real easy to talk smack behind a computer monitor. I dont want your help i dont want your shrewd advice and i dont want your Disrespectful comments. Vettoz is a real pro and has all the advice and help i need.

So quit trolling me before i go to the Admins.
Over reasons u were warned for many many times in the past.

You are not the only one who was in a Corvette club.. Everybody loves the color of my car... I love the color of my car.. And my Accord is almost the exact same color.

And i will get 4k very easy with it not running ive had multi offers of 3500ish but i turned them down... I am trying to get it running and ask 5k... if you must know.
I'm sorry, go to the mods with what? Have I said anything that's wrong or rude? I only stated my opinion on what you should do in response to your post. I'm only telling you what I would do with your car, and I tried to help you with your starter, I don't recall saying anything rude or abusive to you or about you. But you can go to the mods, you know how. I was only going by what you have said publicly on the Internet, did I read those wrong or are they incorrect? I've been a member here a little long to be a troll, but what do I know. FYI, I'm not in a car club, don't know where that came from. To say I made hate your Vette is a little dramatic, but OK. Just hop in your C6 and go for a ride and relax, the C4 can be fixed.

I'll tell you again, if you have power to the starter, yank it off and get it tested, it's probably grounded.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Help the issue or find another post.
I drive a 2008 Honda Accord Ex-L..

Trying to get this Pos to start so i can sell the car and get away from it.These 80s Vettes are money pits
and i want nothing to do with it...
I have my Car Posted for sale for 4000$.
Is this the one that needs tires?

Get notified of new replies

To 87 l98 Will not crank over

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

When i shut the door and turn the key on my security light is not blinking.
VATS has 3 parts;
you may have fixed only one of them with the resistor
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Seriously?

You allowed a total stranger on a car forum to have that much control over you? If you get that butt hurt, perhaps you should move to western San Bernadino county and join a hippie commune. Watch out....the place is infested with crocs.

Test for 12V at the solenoid with a helper turning the key. If you have 12V, remove your starter and have it tested. Any discount parts house will do it for free. It's a 30 minute job.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz
VATS has 3 parts;
you may have fixed only one of them with the resistor
Use a remote starter switch....see if it cranks over. Then you have your answer. NOW....

IBTL

Quick Reply: 87 l98 Will not crank over