C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Suspension rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Suspension rebuild question

Hi there,

I plan to redo both front and rear suspension on my 110K mi '95, however I have a question in terms of doing a "complete" job one time. I will be having a shop do the work so I'd rather do the front all at once, and then the rear.

For the front, if I buy NOS control arms (I think includes ball joints and control arm bushings) and a rebuilt steering rack from the vendors, do I need any other bushings? Something about tie rods?

For the rear, I assume getting new control arms/camber rods/toe rods (e.g. Banski) would be complete.

Am I missing anything? This car is my daily driver. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ill give you some info as i did this project on my 94 last year. my list consited of new stiffer springs, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, bushings, u joints, lowering of the car, rims and tires, and a few other little things here and there.

about the NOS control arms: on my car i replaced the ball joints with moog. the price of 4 ball joints was $300. considering you can get NOS arms with new balljoints and bushings, id go that route. in my mind $100 is a fair price to pay to not have to remove the old balljoints and bushings.

i wouldnt replace the steering rack unless it needs to be. i replaced the tie rods with moog replacements, can be bought on rockauto for around $70 a piece. there are 4 total.

the car has many other bushings in the suspension, your best bet would be to buy a complete bushing kit from energy supsension or prothane (seem to be the 2 most popular, i used energy without any problems.) bushings that are included are front control arms, shock towers, rear dif carrier, rear end links, rear spring carriers, and a few others. the ones it is missing is the sway bar bushings (because cars had different size swaybars) and the sway bar end links (can be purchased for additional $30 i believe, on their website.

believe me, youll be shocked at how comfortable these cars are. i lowered my convertible over 2 inches, put stiffer front and rear springs in, stiffer shocks, poly bushings throughout, and 315 rear tires, and it rides smoother then just about all the other cars iv driven. my daily driver 1999 jimmy cant even compare when it comes to comfort.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the very informative reply!

You're not that far away in NJ, I'm in VA. Did you do the install yourself? Do you remember broadly which bushings "should" be done at the same time? For example, front control arms, ball joints, and front tie rods I imagine would be done at the same time. I'm not as familiar as how the shock towers/rear differential carrier/etc. fit in.

P.S. I don't see "shock towers" bushings listed: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-18122G/
Are those itemization details on the website incomplete?

Last edited by bolowbc; 03-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bolowbc
P.S. I don't see "shock towers" bushings listed: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-18122G/
The C4 does not have "shock towers" per se. If you want new rubber bushings for the tops of the shocks, you'll have to get those separately.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bolowbc
Awesome, thanks for the very informative reply!

You're not that far away in NJ, I'm in VA. Did you do the install yourself? Do you remember broadly which bushings "should" be done at the same time? For example, front control arms, ball joints, and front tie rods I imagine would be done at the same time. I'm not as familiar as how the shock towers/rear differential carrier/etc. fit in.

sorry, the new shock bushings came with the shock, not the bushing kit. when i did mine i had the whole front suspension out so i did them all together. after the front was all done i had the rear suspension out all together so i did all those together. if you dont want to have the whole entire rear out you can change most of the bushings pretty easily by just removing a few parts. the rear dif carrier bushings arent essential but it is nice to have. i did the entire project myself
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension rebuild question

Quick Reply: Suspension rebuild question