C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intake gasket replacement 87, upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake gasket replacement 87, upgrades?

Its got 87k on the clock. What are the most economical upgrades i should consider while im in there? I plan on new injectors.

Is it worth taking the heads off for gasket replacement?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
weaselbeak
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to take the intake off I would replace the EGR valve. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator if you're going to depressurize the fuel lines anyway. I wouldn't mess with the head gaskets unless you have a problem.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

To which "intake gasket" do you refer, there are several??
Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

The main intake gasket to the block and heads
Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Thats it? cmon guys??? Should i go for the head gasket? port the runners?

where is everyone?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Jacki&GeneZ16
Instructor

Originally Posted by ninjaneer911
Thats it? cmon guys??? Should i go for the head gasket? port the runners?
where is everyone?
I too would like to know if there is an upgrade. It would be great to stop doing the "routine" intake manifold gaskets replacement.

Like clock-work about every 80K mi my 87 needs it and so does Jacki's Suburban. I bought the 87 in 1996 & noticed a few days later coolant was accumulating on the intake manifold. It had 78K mi. Then in 2009 with 166K mi on my Vette it reoccurred. A friend who was a mechanic at Chevy dealerships (mid-80s to late 90s) and had the Corvette Factory Training. He said the leak in high milage 350s (5.7s) of the 80's and 90's was common for most.

So I was not surprised when my wife's 'burban at about 80K mi also needed it a few years ago. It is much easier to reset the clean intake manifold back on a C4; really tough to lower the manifold on the 'burban as well as replace the distributor - I strung a hammock about 1 foot above the 'burban engine to hold my chest and while I knelt on the radiator cover and replace these.

I'll plan on doing it a 3rd time on my Vette at about 240K mi, it would be nice it that is the last time I need to do it.

Regarding the head gasket, only replace it if you have evidence of failure, such as low compression in a few cylinders. My 87 Vette now has 178K mi and still has very good compression.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

ninjaneer911,

I am in the process putting heads, intake, and injectors back on my 88 with 127,000 miles. I had my heads rebuilt because of the smoke from the exhaust when it was cranked. The cost of porting the heads, intake and runners was $150 and the cost of Bosh injectors was twice that. Builder suggested a mild port so as to not make my MPG's any worse. The new injectors look to be far better than stock. I decided to replace all distributor components and plugs and plug wires.That will run you another $150 for good parts. Plan on spending 2 full days to pull and tag EVERYTHING so you can remember how to reconnect. Take pics before and more after the plenum is off. Hopefully you want have a stripped intake torx bolt like I had. Ending up buying a new Dremel and carbon cutting disk to cut and chisel it off(one day wasted). With gas fumes and sparks flying, I was uneasy.
Do a heater hose throtle bypass, EGR, and vacuum hoses if needed. I had several break when removing. Buy a full engine gasket set, Fel-pro or Victor(mine).
Tools, bought a T-40 with 3 in. shaft from NAPA that helped and go to O'Reilly's to buy a Security Torx bit set. You'll need them and some luck. This was my first engine tear down on a computor controlled car and it takes more time.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake gasket replacement 87, upgrades?

Quick Reply: Intake gasket replacement 87, upgrades?