C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Glowing headers (need some help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM
dmcisaac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Glowing headers (need some help)

I have a problem with glowing headers under full load and at idle,so much so its starting to melt stuff, the car is a 1984 vette with a 383 stroker with vortec heads with tuned port. i recently had car on the dyno and it was making good power at the wheels just under 340rwhp. but we could not dyno out the glowing headers by changing timing or fuel and air fuel ratios were good 12.6 full load and 14.1 at idle. i have hooker supercomp ceramic coated headers on it now with 2 magnaflow high flow cats, xpipe, magnaflow mufflers .could it be just the headers are to thin? would putting an lt4 exhaust manifolds help?anyone have any ideas.
thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you put an infrared thermometer on them? Something is way off, either fuel or timing.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the EST wire reconnected?

If your wideband is reading correctly, which is not always the case, you should be fine AFR wise.

I think you need to mess with timing. What type of timing were you actually seeing? (Datalogging?)

If you set the timing with the EST wire disconnected, what did you set it to? I believe base timing in the computer is 6 deg. So if you set the physical timing to 12 degrees and then played around with the timing so you were giving "30" degrees at idle, you could actually be be at 36*. Same goes if you set it at 0 degrees. the computer assumes it is at base unless you tell it otherwise.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 PM
dmcisaac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya the base timing was set with est unplugged at 6 degrees,the dynos wideband was the same reading as my cars wide band, im running 36 degrees total timing, the infrared thermometer on the manifolds was around 600 degrees
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Glowing headers is due to fuel still burning during/after exhaust stroke.
AKA late timing.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you set it correctly. Are you sure the EST wire is reconnected? Sometimes it doesn't "click" and can re-disconnect causing the symptoms you are referring to.

If it is still connected, 36* advance should be more than enough. So either something is wrong there (not correctly base timed or issues with electronic spark advance.)

Additionally, it could potentially be over tightened rockers resulted in hanging the valves open.

Are all the primaries getting to a point of glowing similarly?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

This situation sounds like retarded timing. Your power numbers are good so I am not convinced your timing is late. Are you sure you timing on the balancer matches the timing in the engine, (have you degreed the balancer to the engine)? Usually vortec heads like 30 degrees of timing (fast burn combustion chambers), is it possible that at 36 degrees of timing the engine is pulling a lot of knock retard and backing off you timing to the point of it actually being late?

Get notified of new replies

To Glowing headers (need some help)

Quick Reply: Glowing headers (need some help)