C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlights wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Ryan90
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights wont turn on

Hello everyone, This is my first time posting here. I have a problem with my headlights in my 1990 vette and I was hoping to find some solutions here.

When I got in my vette tonight to head to work I turned on the headlights and they opened up just like normal then the lights suddenly went out. I tried to turn the lights off and back on but they wont even close. So my headlights are stuck open and they will not turn on.

I have checked all of the fuses and none of them were blown. Ive been reading about the lighting system on the internet and it seems there may be a circuit breaker behind the switch that turns them on but I havent been able to check this.

Any help you guys can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM
XR_Strider_GuY
Racer

Hi Ryan,

When the lights went out after they popped open, was your dash illuminating like usual?

Did it chime when you opened the door with the lights stuck open?

I noted you checked the fuse but did you check the fusible links from the head lamp control module mounted just ahead of the front wheel well?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Ryan90
2nd Gear

Hey Strider thanks for replying.

Yes the dash illuminates normally. The only lights affected are the two headlights and two foglights as well. All interior lights work as well. I havent checked brake lights or turn signals.

The chime hasnt worked in years I honestly couldnt tell you what it sounds like. Some day id like to fix this but its not a critical thing.

Im not sure what the fusible links look like. Would you be able to provide a picture? I did look at all the wires around that harness in front of the wheels to make sure that they weren't pinched or came loose.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
XR_Strider_GuY
Racer

Here is the pic of the location for the head lamp control module. It controls both the popup mechanism.

Trace the wires from the control module and you should see the fusible links behind the battery.

You will need to do some testing to verify if the fusible links has blown. Once blown you will need to replace these. If they are OK I would start looking to test the headlight control module. They can go faulty. My 1990 has never had a failure except for the dreaded slipping bushes of the mechanism itself.

Here is a link for more information.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ght-relay.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gary.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights wont turn on

Quick Reply: Headlights wont turn on