C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust Too Loud

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
bout-time
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Too Loud

So my '92 came with true dual exhaust with no converters and Flowmaster Original 40 series mufflers. It sounds great at idle but is almost un-driveable at speed. It has a terrible interior drone (imagine that). I am hoping to replace just the mufflers and quiet it down a bit.

Is anyone running an exhaust system with no cats? What mufflers?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Is smog an issue in MD?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

My '95 has a completely stock exhaust except mufflers. When I bought it several years ago, the previous owner had installed Flowmaster 40's but had gutted the inside. Still don't know how that was accomplished. Picture boat in a bottle then trying the get the boat back out. Anyway, when I picked the car up, I got on the Interstate and thought, OMG what have I done! The drone was so loud at 70mph I couldn't hear myself think. Within a few days I had a local shop put on a set of Walker mufflers very close to stock. I don't wake up or scare anyone, but cruising down the highway is now something I enjoy. It's almost too quiet. It's so quiet I think I'll put on a set of Stainless works headers.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
bout-time
Instructor

Originally Posted by seabright
Is smog an issue in MD?
We do have emissions testing, but the Vette is 20 years old this year, so I got Historic tags. No emissions testing for Historic cars.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bout-time
We do have emissions testing, but the Vette is 20 years old this year, so I got Historic tags. No emissions testing for Historic cars.
Good news! I'm sure you have read the Corsa comments ..... nice note, no drone, etc.

My only C4 experience was with the stock mufflers replaced by MagnaFlows. My Mags got louder over a few months to the point of displeasure.

With forum help, you will find the perfect system.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
bout-time
Instructor

Originally Posted by seabright
Good news! I'm sure you have read the Corsa comments ..... nice note, no drone, etc.

My only C4 experience was with the stock mufflers replaced by MagnaFlows. My Mags got louder over a few months to the point of displeasure.

With forum help, you will find the perfect system.
Well, I was considering MagnaFlows, until I started reading about the hanger ripping off the top of the mufflers.

I heard the Corsa's at Carlisle, they seem a bit to raspy and European to me.

I did run a set of Dynamax mufflers on a car years ago, but they seemed a little too quiet.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 AM
weaselbeak
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://youtu.be/rd_LQFx0-JI

I can't tell you about the sound at 75 yet because it's not been there-I'm down to two gears.

http://youtu.be/EqOylswBpuk
These are like a targa or kbd muffler.
That's the idle though.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

I put supertrapps on my 85 (gutted cat) I had the dreaded drone after engine mods, drone instantly gone, sound is better too, supertrapps are adjustable for noise and power.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Corsa's are only raspy if you don't have cats and/or you've got headers. The corsa cat back by itself sounds great.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

I did run a set of Dynamax mufflers on a car years ago, but they seemed a little too quiet.
I've got Dynamax, no resonators and true duals on mine. Sound is nice - not too quiet, but still barks at WOT.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

It has a terrible interior drone (imagine that). I am hoping to replace just the mufflers and quiet it down a bit.

Is anyone running an exhaust system with no cats?
Why would you want to? Is this a track car or 500hp build? If not, cats don't hurt, in fact help, and will do alot for your drone.

If I had an LT with your issue, I'd look into reinstalling dual cats. Probably something like these....
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/u...IC%20CONVERTER

I think it's "bout-time" you got some cats back on that thing!" LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
LT1_BlackC4
Racer

My '94s exhaust is almost completely bone stock. Cats and resonator still in place, but I just had a set of muffler eliminators installed. Sounds great and the drone is there, but not unbearable.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

So my '92 came with true dual exhaust with no converters and Flowmaster Original 40 series mufflers. It sounds great at idle but is almost un-driveable at speed. It has a terrible interior drone (imagine that). I am hoping to replace just the mufflers and quiet it down a bit.

Is anyone running an exhaust system with no cats? What mufflers?
I've got a '91 with true duals and Hedman LT headers. I've had stock L-98 mufflers and now LT-1 mufflers without cat. BOTH are drone-free. LT-1's rectangular tips look better to my eye, so they are still there. Although I made ca. 10 kW more power with stock L-98 mufflers at dyno...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
pros&cons
7th Gear

Originally Posted by blackozvet
I put supertrapps on my 85 (gutted cat) I had the dreaded drone after engine mods, drone instantly gone, sound is better too, supertrapps are adjustable for noise and power.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
bout-time
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Why would you want to? Is this a track car or 500hp build? If not, cats don't hurt, in fact help, and will do alot for your drone.

If I had an LT with your issue, I'd look into reinstalling dual cats. Probably something like these....
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/u...IC%20CONVERTER

I think it's "bout-time" you got some cats back on that thing!" LOL
Well I got the car without cats. I could purchase some nice aftermarket cats, but they aren't cheap. I was thinking of just swapping out the mufflers to solve the "drone" issue. Flowmasters sound nice at idle and have nice polished LT1 tips, but have alot of drone at cruise speeds.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Well I got the car without cats. I could purchase some nice aftermarket cats, but they aren't cheap.
IMO, aftermarket performance cats are less expensive than these brand-name performance mufflers.

For a stock LT car, ceramic Magnaflow bullet cats could be added for about $140/pair + installation. How close can you get to that with mufflers like: Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc....

Plus, it would smell better.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Fredbird
Instructor

Really? Too Loud? Is that even possible? I like mine so loud I wake up my friends south of the border!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 PM
bout-time
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
IMO, aftermarket performance cats are less expensive than these brand-name performance mufflers.

For a stock LT car, ceramic Magnaflow bullet cats could be added for about $140/pair + installation. How close can you get to that with mufflers like: Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc....

Plus, it would smell better.
Interesting. Maybe I could add the cats and keep the Flowmasters and it would be bearable.

You are so right about the smell!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm not sure just how common the hanger issue is on the mangnaflows. They've been on my car for 3 years issue free. The welds on the hangers look solid.

I removed the resonator to make it louder. The Magnaflow system with resonator (I do also run factory cats) is fairly tame. Removing the resonator did add some volume but it mostly made it sound more aggressive, which is what I wanted. It added some drone, but I have 4.11s which I think help greatly in keeping it out of the drone zone on the highway. Despite the added resonance I'm happy with it. If it was a daily driver I would have left it with the resonator though.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Too Loud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Too Loud