C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

igmition start problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodj
Basic Elec theory
V= I/R
Where I is current and R is resistance

Measure the circuit resistance between the starter terminal and green/white wire under dash
iam away from the car now. But like to know more. What this will test tell me. Can you explaing a little more
Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

I getting frustraded with this ignition problem. It come to mind. Just to run a new wire direct from yellow wire to starter motor and be done .

No that is stuped idea. Dont want to do that realy
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanpty
What this will test tell me. Can you explaing a little more
From the formula;
more resistance in circuit = lower voltage.

Bad /dirty connections will have hi resistance; hence the reason to test resistance on the wiring to starter

Easy test would be as you say to run a new wire from key to starter

Last edited by rodj; 01-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When the yellow wire is disconnected no current is flowing so there won't be any voltage drop.

When you connect the yellow and green wires current flows and the voltage drops.

If the battery voltage isn't changing (please check this) then there is a 12.5v-11.6v=0.9v drop due to the resistance of the wires and ignition switch. I'm not sure that's enough to cause a problem.

With the yellow and green wires connected have you checked the voltage at other points in the circuit?

The most important place to measure would be at the solenoid itself: What voltage do you get at the purple wire when it is disconnected from the solenoid? What voltage do you get when it is connected?

Similarly, what voltages do you get when you probe at the transmission position switch, connected and disconnected?

Running a wire from the yellow wire to the solenoid would work but would eliminate the transmission position switch (a safety feature).
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Ok i will have to get back to the car and do all this test you are talking about. Unfortunately. I can only work in the car on weekends. I will try to go to my car some time during the week

Let sayi get low voltage on the starter after i do the test. What this de meenig of that
Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Runnig a wire directly from yelow wire to starter will also disable the cool stard inje tor
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

then you buy a prom from a 89 vette and plug the cold start injector, car will start better
Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 AM
hitmanpty
Drifting

I was reading about voltage drop test for the starter system. I find out there is a couple of test i have to do. The problem can be resistance on wire some where. May be on battery wire. Will do test first
Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Let sayi get low voltage on the starter after i do the test. What this de meenig of that
By checking the voltage drop at various points along the circuit you learn where the high resistance section is---and that's the place you'll need to fix.

Sorry, this will take some math to explain:

The voltages should add up:

Let

Vsol= the voltage between the solenoid and ground
Vtran= the voltage between the transmission switch and ground
Vrel= the voltage between the start enable relay (the yellow & green wire) and ground
Vbat= the battery voltage

then

Vbat=Vsol + (Vtrans - Vsol) + (Vrel-Vtrans) + (Vbat-Vrel)

Right now, you know (Vbat-Vrel)=12.5-11.6=0.9v which is the voltage drop due to the ignition switch and wiring.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM
loaded vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Switch

I had the same symptoms with my 87 and finally found the ignition switch was bad on the starter contacts inside the switch. My switch was the original unit so I replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. I have had no startup problem since replacing the ignition switch. Should you decide to replace the ignition switch, take your time and pay attention to the details coming apart and back together.

Gary
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by loaded vet
I had the same symptoms with my 87 and finally found the ignition switch was bad on the starter contacts inside the switch. My switch was the original unit so I replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. I have had no startup problem since replacing the ignition switch. Should you decide to replace the ignition switch, take your time and pay attention to the details coming apart and back together.

Gary
I vote this one
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
By checking the voltage drop at various points along the circuit you learn where the high resistance section is---and that's the place you'll need to fix.

Sorry, this will take some math to explain:

The voltages should add up:

Let

Vsol= the voltage between the solenoid and ground
Vtran= the voltage between the transmission switch and ground
Vrel= the voltage between the start enable relay (the yellow & green wire) and ground
Vbat= the battery voltage

then

Vbat=Vsol + (Vtrans - Vsol) + (Vrel-Vtrans) + (Vbat-Vrel)

Right now, you know (Vbat-Vrel)=12.5-11.6=0.9v which is the voltage drop due to the ignition switch and wiring.
yesterday. I pull out of the internet. a guia to test drop voltage on the starter system. it tell me what point sure I take measurements I will be preforming this varios test point. including yours this weekend.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by loaded vet

Gary
sound like a logical idea. but before I go and start changing part. is there any test I can do to the ignition switch. to find out of it is bad??? I all ready going to do some drop volt test on saturday. it will be a good idea if someone can tell me how to check this ignition switch

thank you for the sugestion
Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

If the voltage drop is largest between the battery and relay then the ignition switch is suspect.

As an experiment you could try a wire (and switch) from the battery to the green wire. If that starts your car every time and the normal connection (yellow wire to green wire) doesn't then, again, your ignition switch or wiring is suspect.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No. Before the gear selection swich i get a drop. Where the yellow wire meet with the green and white wire

Yellow wire coming from the ignition swicth. Meet with green and white wire before going to GEar selector switch. When i connect this 2 wire is when the voltage drop. Dont know why i get a drop. In voltage. Just by conectin 2 wire
If your testing with solenoid connected, your going to see a voltage drop due to load at solenoid. Is this the case ?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
If your testing with solenoid connected, your going to see a voltage drop due to load at solenoid. Is this the case ?
Yes solenoid is connected to the trigger wire
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

If the voltage drop is largest between the battery and relay then the ignition switch is suspect.

As an experiment you could try a wire (and switch) from the battery to the green wire. If that starts your car every time and the normal connection (yellow wire to green wire) doesn't then, again, your ignition switch or wiring is suspect.
Good idea. I will try that also on saturday. To bad i true away my old push buttom cable. I will get a new one tomorrow

Get notified of new replies

To igmition start problem

Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

I suspect you're learning why the previous owner installed that button in the first place.

Check the voltage at various points in the circuit & you should find the problem.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

I suspect you're learning why the previous owner installed that button in the first place.

Check the voltage at various points in the circuit & you should find the problem.
I all ready have good voltimeter, also some extantion cables I got for the voltimeter. since some of the test I will do involve go from the battery to the starter. and every body knows the distance of the 2.

also just when out I got my self a cable. to try to connect battery to green and white wire.

here is a link of some of the test I will do. in case someone need to do some test also.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Yes now I know why the use the old trick. push buttom cable.

but not me. I will finish this the right way.

Quick Reply: igmition start problem