C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Super ram / Mini Ram Educate me

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Yup. Same goes for C6's. Put $20000 into your C6 Z06, and it will be worth a dollar more, or a dollar less. Thats the business of "hotrodding".
That why I will leave mine allow. I can't push it to its limit.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette0096
That why I will leave mine allow. I can't push it to its limit.
And that's the difference. I couldn't have left 240rwhp/340rwtq alone.

The lame power started to get to me, but I love the car hence why I built a stroker that made 200 more rwhp.

If you start off with let's say "450rwhp/430rwtq" its alot easier to leave that alone.

Take care!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shamdave
I am considering a rebuild and some mild upgrades.
I want to be in the 400hp @ the rear wheels ball park
I want a street car, summer driver, and occasional autocross and drag races (on the track of course bracket racing with friends)

So far im considering

ZZ9 Cam
88-89 Alum Heads (ported and polished)
Roller Lifters
Headers
True Duels with Cut outs
(maybe) a .30 bore
Obviously a burned in chip

My question(s)
are I am really not familiar with the super ram or mini ram?

What are the benefits and drawbacks?
What is the difference in the 2?
What else do i need to do if i go this route?
Benefits & Drawbacks ? Benefit is improved acceleration, drawback is that it isn't free.

Difference between the two ? rpm range.... the choice should be based upon you pre-calculating where your final 2000 rpm of rpm operation will be.

What else do I need to do if I go this route ? The usual (Cam, Heads, exhaust) But, what is most important to optimize your new power is the right converter/gear combination. The secret to going fast is 1) Make as much HP as you dare 2) Get to where that power is in the rpm range 3) You're done.

Many moons ago, I conducted a battle royale between the Superram & Miniram on my old 383-219-3000-3.45 set-up. The Superram won the battle by approximately 1.5 tenths. (Going out of memory it was something like 11.47 vs 11.62 in a 2500 ft DA for each) I think the Miniram might have caught and passed up the Superram with more converter, but not sure. (But, it might have helped the Superram too)

Both are good intakes and a huge improvement against the long tube runner set-ups if you're after improved acceleration. I think the Superram is the best choice intake for 90% of the forum members here. Simply because, most here, for streetability reasons, will run an emissions friendly hyd cam, fairly tight converter, street friendly gears and keep the rpm at around 6000 rpm, thus the most important rpm range becomes 4000-6000 rpm for most here, this is where the Superram shines a little brighter than other intakes. Its not the peak in that 2000 rpm range, its the average HP it makes over that rpm band that matters. Bestway to think of a Superram.... its the same as Long Tube Runner set-ups in torque curve design and gives the same torquey throttle response..... it just moves it all up approximately 800 rpm. (A-typical cam/head combo)

As a note, the difficulty of installing a Superram is exaggerated in my opinion. I can do it in an hour with no hassles whatsoever. (Albeit, I can do a Miniram in 20 minutes. ) But, don't ever choose your speed parts based upon how long they take to install. (Doesn't make sense to sacrifice big performance for years & years, because on one day of one year you were trying to save an hour of time)

Good Luck with whatever you choose !
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Sell that car now that you have and save all the money that you would have put into in and buy a C5 Z06 you will be money ahead. But once you drive a C6Z there is no looking back. They out brake, corner and looks and so one. I've had all see sig.

Hears a video of a bone stock no bolt on with drag radials running a 10.71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNkk...c7FAAAAAAAANAA
I made an offer on a C6 Z06 identical to yours including the color 3 days ago..... was a low ball offer and it wasn't accepted. But, I'll keep trying.... somebody will say yes. I expect by this summer I'll have one as a fun semi-daily driver.

I love the new Z06.... and its not bad advise in my opinion. My C4 has the works done to it and can out-run a new Z06 easily in a straight line..... but I couldn't get 10k for it if my life depended on it and for good reason, its an old jalopy. Such is life.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
I made an offer on a C6 Z06 identical to yours including the color 3 days ago..... was a low ball offer and it wasn't accepted. But, I'll keep trying.... somebody will say yes. I expect by this summer I'll have one as a fun semi-daily driver.

I love the new Z06.... and its not bad advise in my opinion. My C4 has the works done to it and can out-run a new Z06 easily in a straight line..... but I couldn't get 10k for it if my life depended on it and for good reason, its an old jalopy. Such is life.
Todd you will never look back. Thses thing are so cheap to get big HP numbers out of. Buddy made 580 at the wheels with a cam and cold air intake and headers and tune. Was trapping 132-133.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM
twin540
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for a z06 last year ,but could not figure out where to put the dead deers and hogs . So I bought a lmm duramax, very happy with the torque. Sorry for the monkey wrench.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Gregg just messing with you turbo.
You're hilarious...just like the time you attacked one of my 4Sale threads. Thought you "owed" to the rest of your Corvette buddies how they could buy the same thing I made elsewhere.

Only problem was I made a polished item -- to mate with polished, aftermarket throttlebodies -- while you linked to a cast item.

Not many people here have proved which part of their anatomy they think with. Jumping on an intake thread with pics of your C6 pretty much solidifies that.

I'm also guessing you don't know what forced me to install a wing either. But, I don't expect much from certain members....OTOH, I'm just messin' with ya!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am considering a rebuild and some mild upgrades.
I want to be in the 400hp @ the rear wheels ball park
I want a street car, summer driver, and occasional autocross and drag races (on the track of course bracket racing with friends)

So far im considering

ZZ9 Cam
88-89 Alum Heads (ported and polished)
Roller Lifters
Headers
True Duels with Cut outs
(maybe) a .30 bore
Obviously a burned in chip

My question(s)
are I am really not familiar with the super ram or mini ram?

What are the benefits and drawbacks?
What is the difference in the 2?
What else do i need to do if i go this route?
FYI, these mods won't get you anywhere near 400 RWHP.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
while you linked to a cast item.
Wrong again Gregg. Billet. http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/27

I'm also guessing you don't know what forced me to install a wing either.
[/QUOTE]

To much to drink that day?
Changed my sig pic so Gregg won't be but hurt.

Last edited by Corvette0096; 01-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I think I have the best of both worlds, a C4 to race and a C6Z for the street.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

[QUOTE=383vett

What does the c4 trap for MPH?

How consistent is the car? fuel injected still?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:55 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
FYI, these mods won't get you anywhere near 400 RWHP.
Did he say who was doing the porting? If the (113) heads are ported by TPIS, the flow would be very similar to AFRs. And, with a SR/MR, he WOULD be close to 400rwhp.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Wrong again Gregg. Billet. http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/27

I'm also guessing you don't know what forced me to install a wing either.

To much to drink that day?
Changed my sig pic so Gregg won't be but hurt.
Thanks for making my original point for me.

And,,,,Hmmm...I don't see a polished part in your link... Guess you were out of line. (Guess things haven't changed....I'm impressed by the (new) humble pic of your(?) ride.

Oh yeah...the mod thought so too since he deleted your inappropriate hijack.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

[QUOTE=Corvette0096;1579652628][QUOTE=383vett

What does the c4 trap for MPH?

How consistent is the car? fuel injected still?[/QUOTE]

The C4 traps 126-127. It is deadly consistant. Went 8 rounds at the end of September at our divisional finals in Vegas. With 200 entries, I lost in the finals, but took home $1750. . With the computer controlled 4l60e, I take off in drive and the car does the rest. It'll usually hit it's number if the dummy behind the wheel does his job! Running a SuperRam.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
The C4 traps 126-127. It is deadly consistant. Went 8 rounds at the end of September at our divisional finals in Vegas. With 200 entries, I lost in the finals, but took home $1750. . With the computer controlled 4l60e, I take off in drive and the car does the rest. It'll usually hit it's number if the dummy behind the wheel does his job! Running a SuperRam.
Congrats on the Division 7 final appearance !! Most probably do not know how big that is..... but that's good stuff! For those that do not know, the NHRA Summit ET race series is a National Series of all participating NHRA sanctioned tracks..... each track has a season long point series, the top racers of each track qualify for the end of the year Divisional Finals.... hence, that Finals appearance was against the best of the best on the west coast (Division 7) Just to get to the Semi's in that race is a journey through a minefield of hitters. I am assuming he was in the Pro (Heavy) class based upon his et..... which is a no-box footbrake class. I know from racing in it, that is the toughest class in my opinion. My point, this wasn't some Friday night bracket gamble race that he went 8 rounds in.

Congrats Willie !
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
383vett
Race Director

Congrats on the Division 7 final appearance !! Most probably do not know how big that is..... but that's good stuff! For those that do not know, the NHRA Summit ET race series is a National Series of all participating NHRA sanctioned tracks..... each track has a season long point series, the top racers of each track qualify for the end of the year Divisional Finals.... hence, that Finals appearance was against the best of the best on the west coast (Division 7) Just to get to the Semi's in that race is a journey through a minefield of hitters. I am assuming he was in the Pro (Heavy) class based upon his et..... which is a no-box footbrake class. I know from racing in it, that is the toughest class in my opinion. My point, this wasn't some Friday night bracket gamble race that he went 8 rounds in.

Congrats Willie !
Thanks Todd. Now you've got me blushing. I did have a good 4 days of racing. I had a total of 13 races and won 10. My goal was not to go out in the first round in any of the 3 races. I was running Pro. My '84 is pretty stock looking as if it was driven off the street and it was fun taking down some heavy hitters. How is your build going? Willie
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Benefits & Drawbacks ? Benefit is improved acceleration, drawback is that it isn't free.

Difference between the two ? rpm range.... the choice should be based upon you pre-calculating where your final 2000 rpm of rpm operation will be.

What else do I need to do if I go this route ? The usual (Cam, Heads, exhaust) But, what is most important to optimize your new power is the right converter/gear combination. The secret to going fast is 1) Make as much HP as you dare 2) Get to where that power is in the rpm range 3) You're done.

Many moons ago, I conducted a battle royale between the Superram & Miniram on my old 383-219-3000-3.45 set-up. The Superram won the battle by approximately 1.5 tenths. (Going out of memory it was something like 11.47 vs 11.62 in a 2500 ft DA for each) I think the Miniram might have caught and passed up the Superram with more converter, but not sure. (But, it might have helped the Superram too)

Both are good intakes and a huge improvement against the long tube runner set-ups if you're after improved acceleration. I think the Superram is the best choice intake for 90% of the forum members here. Simply because, most here, for streetability reasons, will run an emissions friendly hyd cam, fairly tight converter, street friendly gears and keep the rpm at around 6000 rpm, thus the most important rpm range becomes 4000-6000 rpm for most here, this is where the Superram shines a little brighter than other intakes. Its not the peak in that 2000 rpm range, its the average HP it makes over that rpm band that matters. Bestway to think of a Superram.... its the same as Long Tube Runner set-ups in torque curve design and gives the same torquey throttle response..... it just moves it all up approximately 800 rpm. (A-typical cam/head combo)

As a note, the difficulty of installing a Superram is exaggerated in my opinion. I can do it in an hour with no hassles whatsoever. (Albeit, I can do a Miniram in 20 minutes. ) But, don't ever choose your speed parts based upon how long they take to install. (Doesn't make sense to sacrifice big performance for years & years, because on one day of one year you were trying to save an hour of time)

Good Luck with whatever you choose !

Thank you this was awesome it cleared up allot of my questions

Get notified of new replies

To Super ram / Mini Ram Educate me

Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
Thanks Todd. Now you've got me blushing. I did have a good 4 days of racing. I had a total of 13 races and won 10. My goal was not to go out in the first round in any of the 3 races. I was running Pro. My '84 is pretty stock looking as if it was driven off the street and it was fun taking down some heavy hitters. How is your build going? Willie
You should be blushing.... that's a big accomplishment in my opinion. I've won a track championship before and that would still rate 2nd to getting to the Divisional final ! Divisional Finals are like March madness to me.... that's where it counts.

Friend of mine won the Race of Champions at the Division 7 finals twice to go on to Pomona for the National Championship. (Street tire), the 2nd time in a Corvette. (C6)..... didn't win at Pomona though, last time, which was 2010, he put out a good solid 30 or 40 thou package 1st round, his competitor just came in tighter. One of these years he might get back to Pomona.... he's a pretty darn good racer.

My set-up has been done for a while.... but, right now I am doing a few cosmetic improvements and exhaust improvements as we speak. (Thanks) .... Finally found a way to get it registered too, so I'm driving it more now considering its legal now. Headed back to the track later this month.

Last edited by Beach Bum; 01-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Todd you will never look back. Thses thing are so cheap to get big HP numbers out of. Buddy made 580 at the wheels with a cam and cold air intake and headers and tune. Was trapping 132-133.
I believe you, I've driven one.... I know. Fun cars ! All a matter of cashola.

I wouldn't really modify mine though.... would stay a driver. Maybe do something like the CAI, but that's about it. I'm getting old, I like quiet cars.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Thank you this was awesome it cleared up allot of my questions
Glad I kinda helped.

Good luck !

Quick Reply: Super ram / Mini Ram Educate me