C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

NOS Control Arms or Rebuild with MOOG??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

Enthusiastic passion vs. ownership
Sorry car shows and waxing are not my thing. My definition of enthusiastic passion is driving the hell out of it which is exactly what I have done over the years, on and off the track.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 12-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm now leaning toward NOS and keeping the old stuff to rebuild for future use.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I've received so much interest in the suspension pics here's some beautiful pics of the engine before a little work.

Please no crying or hate mail.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I've received so much interest in the suspension pics here's some beautiful pics of the engine before a little work.
No crying or hate mail - thats what the front of my engine looked like when I changed the opti!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
No crying or hate mail - thats what the front of my engine looked like when I changed the opti!
Mine too. Plus, the hose clamps on the p/s reservoir weren't tight enough, and the whole front of the engine compartment had p/s juice gravy all over it.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

My vote goes for the NOS parts...I was in your same position last spring and ended up going the NOS route. No messing with grinding rivets to replace the upper and getting new control arm bushings pressed in.
Much easier when everything is assembled and you just have to replace the whole control arm.
If I could do it over again, my suggestion would be to lower the front end at that time if you ever plan to. Wish I would have done that when I replace the control arms. Corvette recycling is a great company to do business with
Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Two more cents from the peanut gallery....I did the corvette recycling front wish bones and that was 25k ago. They worked out great! Yes the OE rubber may be a bit old but I just keep an eye on them. They are starting to show some spider web cracks but nothing major.

I would advise against the poly stuff unless the roads you drive on a glass smooth. Up here in the NYC/Metro area that's not the case! I swapped out the endlink bushings to poly using the VB&P end link kits & did the rack mount and front bar mounts and I can feel the difference just from that and it's not good on bad roads! On smooth roads I can feel the difference and it's just crisp enough without being touchy so I like it. The ride harshness and transmitted vibrations are a bit more thru the car. I'm glad I didn't go the total poly route for the street.

Tom
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rickreeves1

Same way my wife's '94 looked after 149k miles and a few oil leaks. Some Easy-Off oven cleaner and a scour pad will clean that right up.

The ball joints on her car looked just like yours, but without the gray patina. We rebuilt the front end with Energy Suspension components (poly) - every joint and bushing in the front end, plus tie rod ends. It made a much steadier car, no squeaks or groans when driven...and I know the streets in Metairie aren't worse than the ones in Jackson.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Davejs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned mine with white wall cleaner and a STEAM cleaner. That hotsy melted the grease off and arms look so good you want tp polish them.

Quick Reply: NOS Control Arms or Rebuild with MOOG??