C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Injector Dissection

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Default Injector Dissection

Years ago I got this idea of a dedicated noid light for injectors. I wanted a little adapter that would go between the regular connector and the injector with a LED to show that the pulses were getting through. I looked for a male injector connector for a long time without success. I finally decided the only way to get that connector would be to get an injector and take it apart.

Fast forward to today. I'm at Pick Your Part looking for ECMs and VATS modules. I'm wandering around and -- lo and behold! -- I see an injector sitting on the ground. It's got the GM style injector connector and it said "RP" on the side, so I know it's the right one.

Have you ever wondered what the inside of an injector looks like? Me too. Amazing devices. They weigh a ton because they're almost solid steel. Since I don't have a fully equipped machine shop I had to hack away at it with a hack saw, a little bit at a time. This is a 17120683 injector. I haven't looked that up yet so I don't know the vintage or application.

Here's the exploded view. I got to this point by carefully hack sawing at what looked like obvious points. I started with the part that says "swaged". The metal body is swaged over the nozzle to hold it in place. I was hoping that all the innards would just fall out after I cut this part off, but no such luck. The center ring is part of the body and inside it there is a gray plastic ring that the large metal disk fits against. The metal disk has two holes that the fuel flows through. The pintle is the piece with the spring on it. The right hand end is tapered to fit in the bore of the nozzle. The left ring of the "metal body" parts is the next slice. To the left of that is part of the "coil bobbin", which goes through the center of the metal body. It's a tan color and the coil is wound on it. The O-ring nearby goes over the end of the bobbin in the groove between the end and the black plastic part. The "plastic body" covers about 1/2 of the metal body. It appears to be molded over and inside the metal body. Next to the connector there is a "RP" molded into the plastic for Rochester Products. To the left of that is just a small piece of the inlet. On the left hand end is the top of the injector, which normally has an O-ring on it. Inside the top is a little thimble filter, which is barely sticking out of the end of that piece. This one has a newer style connector with the rubber plug in the wire end. My car has the old style connectors with a rubber boot about 2" long.

Here's a slightly different view with the body turned so you can see the metal core inside the coil bobbin (in the center). When the injector is energized the pintle is pulled into contact with the metal core. The dark circle around the core is the bore that the fuel goes through, surrounded by the tan plastic coil bobbin. Around the outside of the coil is the black plastic body. The part marked "bobbin" sits on the end of the coil that you see here. You can see how thick the metal injector body is -- a lot of hack sawing to get to this point. I thought it was interesting that the connector has "2" hot stamped on it.

Here's a pic looking through the nozzle. You can see the holes that the fuel comes out of. The area around the holes is tapered and the tip of the pintle fits in there.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM
DMheart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one Agent 86.
They're really built pretty simple, aren't they. Just a headache to take apart.
Thanks for the idea with that injector plug. That will make it easier to build
a fitting noid light.
One thing I can't believe is that the "noid light" was patented. bummer.

Get notified of new replies

To Injector Dissection

Quick Reply: Injector Dissection