C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94-96 Sport Seat wiring tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Default 94-96 Sport Seat wiring tips

Since I successfully got the 94-96 sport seats to be functional in my 91, I thought I'd share some info on how it's done, in case others are interested.

The easiest method to get these seats functional is to use the entire 94-96 seat harness that runs under the console:

Sorry for the small pic. You can see the various plugs which I'll detail later on, plus the three-relay box.

If you want to use the complete harness, and minimize the overall difficulty, just plug the 94-96 dual-sided switch/control assembly in to the console, in place of the 90-93 style controls:

You'd have to find a switch panel from a 94 or 95, if you want to use the matching white-lettered Ride Control switch. The 96 used a 2-position switch for its ride control system and is incompatible with the FX3 system. Otherwise you could swap your 90-93 ride control switch into the 94-96 housing.

I did not want to lose the backlit yellow-lettered seat controls, so I decided to make life a little more difficult for myself. I decided to keep the existing '91 seat control/ride control switch in place.

The first thing I did was to thin out the seat harness, removing what I didn't need. The relay box is not needed if you're keeping the original controls in place. Also, the rectangular black connectors, with the green and blue wiring, are not needed. All of this can be removed from the harness:

continued...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

The part of the seat harness you will need to install, is the air tube, and the wiring with the white and gray connectors. A few of the green/blue wires connect to the gray connector on the seat control switch, but they are not needed for the inflatable functions. Note this is referring to the gray connector on the left; the green and blue wires are on the hidden end of the connector in this picture. The visible green and blue wires on the white connector must remain as-is.

You'll need to remove both seats, seat tracks, the seat belt buckles, and the console sides.

The harness needs to be routed so that the white end of the air tube comes up on the passenger side, and the clear end of the air tube is on the driver's side.

Passenger side:

Driver's Side:

Note that both sides use the same switching assembly to direct air to the various bladders, but the connections are different.

You can also see the control module on the passenger side (smallest box in lower left corner), and the actual pump, which is in the middle. The driver's side only has the switching assembly to direct airflow that it receives from the pump via the cross-car air tube.

Power is supplied to the control module via the orange wire in the harness, ground is supplied by the black. When you removed the 90-93 Sport Seats, the orange/black wires were left unused under the seats -- I removed this entire orange/black wire, and used only the 2-position connector that was located under the right side of the console. I soldered that 2-position connector into the new 94-96 sport seat harness. No pics of this, sorry. The remainder of the original 90-93 orange/black wiring can be discarded.

Mounting of the switch is up to you -- I chose to mount mine in the deep part of the center console storage compartment. This provides relatively easy access, at least for the driver, and avoids cutting up any visible plastics. You'll need to bore an approximately 1-inch hole in the lower front corner of the deep "well" of the center console, which will be completely hidden once everything is reinstalled.

It wedges into position nicely, so at this point I'm not planning on anything more permanent.

Everything should work as intended, as long as your modules and pump are functional. A few of my air connections were in the wrong places (pressing the upper lumbar button caused a side bolster to inflate), but a little trial and error fixed that. the colored tube positions you see in my pictures are the correct placements. Red/white/blue are for lumbar, and the black tubes are for side bolsters.

Last edited by VetteMed; 11-15-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks ,I tryed this on my 96 without any help . I tryed and tryed to get it right , almost had it going but could not find anybody to help me out ..Just somthing was missing ..gave up.. I sure somebody out ther could us this..I just went back with power both sides.Would have liked the Sport Seats..Gave $800 in parts to a Hot Roder said he could do it..I don't know if he did it or not.. Thanks...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write up!
Seems like this type of deal should fall under the CF's new "Tech Contributor" program.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by engle1147
Nice write up!
Seems like this type of deal should fall under the CF's new "Tech Contributor" program.

Thanks!

<----- Look under username
Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
Thanks!

<----- Look under username
Well there you go....welcome to the club
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default 95 Sport seat issue

Only the driver's side power seat works. When switch to DS the DS air blatters respond and the power motor works, but when switched to PS the PS blatters respond but the power switch does not switch and the power remains going to the DS. The console is out, the switchs are exposed but I can not see any evidence of shorting. My Haines manual says nothing about power seats. Can anybody help?

Last edited by Boxcar; 11-27-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boxcar
Only the driver's side power seat works. When switch to DS the DS air blatters respond and the power motor works, but when switched to PS the PS blatters respond but the power switch does not switch and the power remains going to the DS. The console is out, the switchs are exposed but I can not see any evidence of shorting. My Haines manual says nothing about power seats. Can anybody help?
pull driver's seat out; switch the black rectangular wiring connectors around. You've reversed them.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default VetMed

Roger, I recieved comments providing me with the CORRECT way to mis match the leads under the driver's seat. What was GM thinking? The thiing that amazes me is there is nothing mentioned in my Haines Manual. You would think, that would be a great detail to mention.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 PM
akbeaver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DR vs PS

Originally Posted by VetteMed
The part of the seat harness you will need to install, is the air tube, and the wiring with the white and gray connectors. A few of the green/blue wires connect to the gray connector on the seat control switch, but they are not needed for the inflatable functions. Note this is referring to the gray connector on the left; the green and blue wires are on the hidden end of the connector in this picture. The visible green and blue wires on the white connector must remain as-is.

You'll need to remove both seats, seat tracks, the seat belt buckles, and the console sides.

The harness needs to be routed so that the white end of the air tube comes up on the passenger side, and the clear end of the air tube is on the driver's side.

Passenger side:

Driver's Side:

Note that both sides use the same switching assembly to direct air to the various bladders, but the connections are different.

You can also see the control module on the passenger side (smallest box in lower left corner), and the actual pump, which is in the middle. The driver's side only has the switching assembly to direct airflow that it receives from the pump via the cross-car air tube.

Power is supplied to the control module via the orange wire in the harness, ground is supplied by the black. When you removed the 90-93 Sport Seats, the orange/black wires were left unused under the seats -- I removed this entire orange/black wire, and used only the 2-position connector that was located under the right side of the console. I soldered that 2-position connector into the new 94-96 sport seat harness. No pics of this, sorry. The remainder of the original 90-93 orange/black wiring can be discarded.

Mounting of the switch is up to you -- I chose to mount mine in the deep part of the center console storage compartment. This provides relatively easy access, at least for the driver, and avoids cutting up any visible plastics. You'll need to bore an approximately 1-inch hole in the lower front corner of the deep "well" of the center console, which will be completely hidden once everything is reinstalled.

It wedges into position nicely, so at this point I'm not planning on anything more permanent.

Everything should work as intended, as long as your modules and pump are functional. A few of my air connections were in the wrong places (pressing the upper lumbar button caused a side bolster to inflate), but a little trial and error fixed that. the colored tube positions you see in my pictures are the correct placements. Red/white/blue are for lumbar, and the black tubes are for side bolsters.
You show pictures of the bottom of the seat pans for the driver and passenger seats. I recently acquired a 1994 Corvette Coupe with the Sport Seat option. However, when I pull my driver seat cushion, it has the same connections and boxes that are shown in the seat you label as being the passenger seat.

Either my seats have been swapped or the labels on the pictures are swapped.

Any thoughts on which seat is which?

Thanks,

Jim

PS I am having an issue with only the driver seat moving regardless of the selected position (DR/PS) of the selector on the Sport Seat switch. Obviously I have a problem there but I am wondering if the previous owner switched the seats because the driver seat was not moving and this was his fix!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 94-96 Sport Seat wiring tips

Quick Reply: 94-96 Sport Seat wiring tips