C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do you change the spark plugs on a 92 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 PM
surferbill
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you change the spark plugs on a 92 coupe

Does any one know how to change the spark plugs and what type of plugs. Got an est for 500 plus for the job sound like that is to much.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats an insane amount. Just plugs?

Get the tools and do it yourself
Take some patience but can be done
Use a little antiseize on the threads and dont overtorque.
Start by hand if you can to avoid crossthreading.

List your location bet theres a member nearby who can whip it out for you in no time and save you a whole bunch if you dont want to do it yourself.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Thats an insane amount. Just plugs?
Don't ever go to that mechanic, he is not being very honest about the labor charge. Jack it up, pull the wheels and the panels off and go after it with a nice set of extensions and a flex head rachet. It is not the easiest plug change but its a piece of cake compared to any Mercedes V6 or V8.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Assuming your 92 is like my 91 more or less.. here is what I use
ratchet with flex head and approximate 12 inch handle bought it 40 years ago from napa..LOL
spark plug socket that has a hex on the end for a wrench
various 3/8 extensions from 1" to 8" the 1" one is very handy
wrench to fit hex on plug socket
various small wrenches to remove the passenger side center wheel well cover for easy access to front 2 plugs pass side.
a piece of vacuum hose that will fit the tip of the plug tightly to install and remove plugs once loose.
a small can of never sieze
a small tube of dielectric grease
simple green
garden hose

ok with the car outside warm it up to about 130 degrees
shut off
spray simple green all around plugs and wires let soak and hose down to get dirt and road debris away from plugs then start back up to dry if it skips and runs poorly take the other car to parts store for new plug wires while drying
If you have never done this before start with the easy to get to plugs on my 91 that is pretty much the whole drivers side
do them one at a time crack plug loose and spin it out how ever is easiest hand socket or slip the vac hose over the tip to get it out
new plug a little never sieze on threads don't go crazy a little flush with the threrads is plenty
install plug by hand or vac hose but nothing more until it easily threads in several turns once seated 1/8 to 1/4 turn more to compress gasket. You can feel it compress as you tighten it then it gets much harder to turn any more stop there.

put a little dab of dielectrec grease on the plug boot on the inside before re installing and feel for it to sercurely click on to the plug tip.

Plan on spending around 100 bucks mostly on tools and supplies and around 20 to 25 on plugs and a casual afternoon if you are having a friend or two come over and help out add in a 12 pack of cold beer and a pizza or save that for when done..LOL.. When done you have started a small collection of tools to do basic repairs a little more confidence to fix something else and get to know your car better.
dave
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 AM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patience, a cold 6 pack of your favorite beverage, a cold motor, and some anti-seize on the new plugs set to the recomended torque.

Tell the mechanic who told you $500.00 to "Pound Salt"
Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Assuming your 92 is like my 91 more or less.. here is what I use
ratchet with flex head and approximate 12 inch handle bought it 40 years ago from napa..LOL
spark plug socket that has a hex on the end for a wrench
various 3/8 extensions from 1" to 8" the 1" one is very handy
wrench to fit hex on plug socket
various small wrenches to remove the passenger side center wheel well cover for easy access to front 2 plugs pass side.
a piece of vacuum hose that will fit the tip of the plug tightly to install and remove plugs once loose.
a small can of never sieze
a small tube of dielectric grease
simple green
garden hose

ok with the car outside warm it up to about 130 degrees
shut off
spray simple green all around plugs and wires let soak and hose down to get dirt and road debris away from plugs then start back up to dry if it skips and runs poorly take the other car to parts store for new plug wires while drying
If you have never done this before start with the easy to get to plugs on my 91 that is pretty much the whole drivers side
do them one at a time crack plug loose and spin it out how ever is easiest hand socket or slip the vac hose over the tip to get it out
new plug a little never sieze on threads don't go crazy a little flush with the threrads is plenty
install plug by hand or vac hose but nothing more until it easily threads in several turns once seated 1/8 to 1/4 turn more to compress gasket. You can feel it compress as you tighten it then it gets much harder to turn any more stop there.

put a little dab of dielectrec grease on the plug boot on the inside before re installing and feel for it to sercurely click on to the plug tip.

Plan on spending around 100 bucks mostly on tools and supplies and around 20 to 25 on plugs and a casual afternoon if you are having a friend or two come over and help out add in a 12 pack of cold beer and a pizza or save that for when done..LOL.. When done you have started a small collection of tools to do basic repairs a little more confidence to fix something else and get to know your car better.
dave
Good writeup, Dave, but I would caution the OP, who has the LT1 with the Optispark, to be careful about any washing in the engine compartment.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

NGK TR55's work good in LT1's, and are cheap ~$20.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Either v-power or G-power versions will work.

The LT1 plug change is sorta like the L98 plug change, just have to remove different stuff.

Passenger side, for #8 (the one all the way in the back) pack your patience, prepare to lose a little bit of skin and take your time. When I had the stock manifolds I used a shorter plug socket, I have so many of the darn things, every cheap socket set seems to come with one.
A really short extension, its about 1 - 1.5 inches long and a ratchet. I think my craftsman worked best. Use this cobination to get it loose, you only have about 1/4" clearance. Then take the ratchet off and use your fingers on the extension to bakc the plug out all the way.
Driver side works best if you loosen the bolts holding the ASR in place and move it out of the way along with the AIR hoses.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

To start the #8 plug with stock manifolds I sit on the pass front tire facing forward, lean back and with my left hand start the plug. sounds a little strange, but works.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
96_vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell that mechanic to go get bent! All you need is Patience, NGK TR-55 plugs, tools and more patience! You dont have to remove anything except the plug boot from the plug. Forget removing the tires or pulling the splash guards. You can do a complete change in about a hour. It takes me about a hour on my LT1. As long as you have some good tools and some beer, you will be good!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Good writeup, Dave, but I would caution the OP, who has the LT1 with the Optispark, to be careful about any washing in the engine compartment.
Good point I have a 91 with an L98 so little worry there. My point with the cleaning was to prevent getting dirt and crud on the plug threads going back in and siezing the plug. If like me sometimes it takes more than 1 try to get the new one in.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Good point I have a 91 with an L98 so little worry there. My point with the cleaning was to prevent getting dirt and crud on the plug threads going back in and siezing the plug. If like me sometimes it takes more than 1 try to get the new one in.
Another alternative for cleaning around the plugs would be to use an air nozzle. Probably not as good as washing, but won't drown the Opti.

I remember when the first Mustangs with Ford's big block came out, the factory riff was to pull the engine to change the plugs. Who said Ford had a better idea?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by surferbill
Does any one know how to change the spark plugs and what type of plugs. Got an est for 500 plus for the job sound like that is to much.
He is on some good drugs and YOU are paying for it. That is unless he is calculating that your plugs will seize up. I think the Ford 5.4 motor has that problem. My OM606 Mercedes has that issue with the glow plugs too. Sometimes, it is almost easier to take the motor out since you have no room to work or the plugs seize up. I don't think the LT1 motor is such a case but I have been known to be wrong.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Autolite 606 Copper Cores will work also. Running those in my LT1 with no problems.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

for cleaning around the plugs I get some brake clean (I use the walmart brand its cheap)
use the red straw theat comes with it
back the plug one turn
squirt around the plug with the cleaner
hit it with air from the compressor
remove plug

One more thing - use a little anti-sieze on the threads of the new plugs

Get notified of new replies

To How do you change the spark plugs on a 92 coupe

Quick Reply: How do you change the spark plugs on a 92 coupe