C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Creaking Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Creaking Steering Rack

I've got a nasty creak which seems to be coming from the steering rack. If I have someone turn the wheel left or right, with the wheels on the ground, it seems to be coming from the pinion area. I can feel it if I grab the rack around the pinion. I'm planning on replacing it but figured I'd run it by you guys in case someone has some better info.

Also, has anyone found a good source for a rebuilt, 2 turn rack? Only place I've found one is ebay.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Send old rack to turn one. Look for the stories here about folks that have had to send rebuilt racks back.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

I'll give them a call tomorrow, but I'd prefer to buy a rebuilt rather than tie the car up waiting for an R&R.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Your choice - all the usual auto parts stores carry rebuilt racks.
Good luck, you may get one that was done right the first time.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Nobody has rebuilt rack available locally. Nothing, nada.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
DBo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought long and hard about buying a rebuilt unit from Napa or Advance, but I heard too many stories about having to go through two or three before finding one that was done right. As a result, I decided to send mine off to TurnOne for them to rebuild my original unit. Pricey, and it took a couple of weeks, but worth it, in my opinion.

No issues with their rebuild.

Dave
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
llong66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried Rock Auto? I know they had some, both types on close out, those are gone but they may have some stock at regular price, which for them is generally pretty low.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

I called Turn One - $360 and 7 to 10 days to rebuild. I looked at the rack again yesterday and may have lucked out. The creak was coming from the mounting bolt to the cross member. I re-torqued the mounting bolts and the creak is gone. We'll see what happens.

llong66, Rock was the first place I tried and have checked back several other times, they had nothing in stock. Checked again after your post and they had 1 in stock, but never heard of the brand.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C4boy
I called Turn One - $360 and 7 to 10 days to rebuild. I looked at the rack again yesterday and may have lucked out. The creak was coming from the mounting bolt to the cross member. I re-torqued the mounting bolts and the creak is gone. We'll see what happens.

llong66, Rock was the first place I tried and have checked back several other times, they had nothing in stock. Checked again after your post and they had 1 in stock, but never heard of the brand.
You might want to flush out all the old power steering fluid and replace with a good synthetic. I did mine recently and it quieted down the P/S system significantly.The flush is easily done with the front up on jack stands and the wheels off the ground. Here is a write-up on the flush process.
Attached Images

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking Steering Rack

Quick Reply: Creaking Steering Rack