C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
ezspdr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting

I have a 1989 automatic. Some days it starts, some days it doesn't. It will go for weeks and start every time, then go for weeks without starting. Start one day not the next etc. No pattern. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? When it doesn't start there is no clicking sound, nothing. When it does, it kicks right off. I have had the battery tested and it tests ok. Thanks for any one's help.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 PM
c92vette
Instructor

Remove the starter from the bell housing and make sure it has a clean surface to mount on. If there is a lot of gritty oil and grease it won't ground properly. Experience tells me this. I had a 1984 Firebird daily driver that would start in the morning but after work nothing. After I would get it going again by popping the clutch while rolling it would start again every time until - after work. Cleaned the mounting surface one day and the problem never repeated.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

If you've got no clicking, the chances are REALLY REALLY close to 100% that your problem is VATS.

Even if the starter is dead you should be able to hear the starter relay clicking, which is controlled by VATS.

Check the classic VATS problems: dirty resistor pellet in the ignition key and broken VATS wires in the steering column. Also, the key contacts in the ignition switch can get dirty, bent or broken. In my case one contact was bent. I have not had a VATS failure since I replaced the ignition switch about 15 years ago (there was a recall/upgrade and I got a new ignition switch and new keys that were slightly longer than the original keys).
Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Benny771
Advanced

+1
Bypass your vats, easy to do.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezspdr
I have a 1989 automatic. Some days it starts, some days it doesn't. It will go for weeks and start every time, then go for weeks without starting. Start one day not the next etc. No pattern. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? When it doesn't start there is no clicking sound, nothing. When it does, it kicks right off. I have had the battery tested and it tests ok. Thanks for any one's help.
You probably have a starter enable relay going bad.Part of the VATS system.You can replace the relay,it lives behind the info screen above the radio. You can just bypass it, or as far as I'm concerned, save yourself more agro in the future and get a VATS delete chip from PCMforless.com

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent starting

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting