C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

engine push start button

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 AM
ndanl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine push start button

hello,

recently I was looking on ebay at a keyless entry w/push start button, anybody is using a such thing ? is it hard to integrate it ?
I just want to get rid of the key ...
Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put one on my 1989 Silverado. It took about 4 hours. I was tired of going out in the winter to start the truck to warm it up. The kit also gave me auto door locks, a parking lot beep and flash and could have opened the trunk if I had one.

All the wires you'll need are external to the steering column, under the dash on a Vette. (except the door locks and trunk) The kit I got told me where every wire was located, it color and how to attach it. Some of the wires you will cut yours and splice both ends into the new harness for the remote start. Others will be paralleled with existing wire.

It's a really neat device that's not too hard to install.....based on your experience level.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 AM
ndanl
Instructor

cool, can you tell me what kit do you have ? I saw a few on ebay from $200 to over $1000 ...

Last edited by ndanl; 10-07-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This company includes vehicle specific wiring instructions. It will say something like, "on you 19xx Corvette on the right side of the steering column, under the dash, locate the red wire in the harness from the steering wheel."

I mean all their instructions are made just for your car. I've installed three of these and everyone was right on with the wiring. So simple a caveman could do it.

http://www.autoalarmpro.com/remote_starter_w_keyless

They also have a really cool but pricey option where you can use your smartphone to do all the same things the remote does. You just touch the App button, touch Car-link and the screen comes up with Lock/unlock/start/trunk release/ icons. How cool is that. Give you bragging rights at the cruise-in.

Last edited by 1963SS; 10-07-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,088 Likes on 658 Posts

This thread is one system that I installed. I recommend you stay away from this one. But it has been in for more than a year now and has been working ok.

The Push-to-start is what makes it difficult with VATs. That and taking the column apart. But a general after market system is difficult enough on a vette.

Last edited by Flame Red; 10-07-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
ndanl
Instructor

I was thinking at something from Dowontech like st800 or st960 ... Flame Red thanks, hope your thread will help me intall a keyless/push-to-start system ...

Last edited by ndanl; 10-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,088 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by ndanl
I was thinking at something from Dowontech like st800 or st960 ... Flame Red thanks, hope your thread will help me intall a keyless/push-to-start system ...
I wish I would have known about that Dowontech system when I was doing mine. For the price, it is far superior to what I installed. Thank you for pointing it out. I think I will rip out the StarDrive and replace it with the Dowontech st960 as my winter project.

One of the things with the StarDrive that made it difficult is that you need a lead that signals when the alarm was disarmed. This is needed to tell the factory alarm system to disarm. StarDrive did not have this and so I had to rig up extra relays to figure it out. Real PITA and it is not perfect. I would be nice if they had the schematics for this system. I would like to look at them and make sure all the leads I would need are present.

Found it:

I wonder what the range is for the st960? The Stardrive has less than 10 foot range and will lock and unlock as you walk around the car (which really, really sucks).

Last edited by Flame Red; 10-07-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To engine push start button

Quick Reply: engine push start button