C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aluminum power steering reservoir, does anybody make one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aluminum power steering reservoir, does anybody make one?

I've installed a '90 L98 serpentine setup on my '70 vert and I'm trying to find an aluminum reservoir with AN fittings to plumb my system with. I don't really have the space to mount a tubular reservoir by the radiator like the normal C4. I'm hoping someone makes an aluminum version that mounts like the LT motors - on the driver's side next to the alternator (actually, the AC comp on the LT's, I think). I've got the airpump delete on my setup so there's some room there, right above the PS pump. Does anyone know of an aftermarket source, or will I have to make a cardboard version and have it fabbed locally? Thanks for any assistance!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:24 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Roundy round racers use them. Ive seen them in catalogs. Ebay would likely have some listed. Maybe even Summit or Jegs.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delux...item5d2eb54749
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 396 Likes on 328 Posts

I have that same canister on my setup. I found it for less though, $15 I think. I like that it holds more PS fluid and can shed heat being aluminum. I've found that the cap always leaks a small amount. I tried placing it in my vice and flattening the tangs so it clamps tighter, without success. I think it might need a vent? I haven't had time to work on the system. Pic:

Old 09-18-2011, 02:21 PM
1mpalss
Racer

Default No remove for the round bottle

Thanks for the replies. My problem is that I don't have a lot of room for the tall, bottle-type reservoir like you tilt frontend guys have. The only really good location is the empty space next to my alternator and I was just hoping a vendor carried something like that already so I wouldn't have to fab something. I'll take some more measurements though and see if a round reservoir may fit under the hood somewhere.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Turn One Summit/ Jegs/CV products I think sells a smaller square one you could fab a bracket for easily.

I have one of those tall spun aluminum ones and they are pieces of chit, crack real easily.

Just dont get the cheapest one you can find you know the saying..

Last edited by cv67; 09-18-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:34 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1mpalss
I would just like to say that that is a nice shine job on the runners. I have a secondary TPI on the way that I will do that to so I can drive the car and do the work at the same time. Then, port, siamese and shine the current one for sale here on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum power steering reservoir, does anybody make one?

Quick Reply: Aluminum power steering reservoir, does anybody make one?