C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

speed chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 AM
brian n Schroeder
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed chips

Looking for good speed chip easy to install as much boost as I can get
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

chips for less
Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

What mods have you done? No chip will give you significant hp gains on a stock setup.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM
lumij3
Pro

Originally Posted by markKlein
What mods have you done? No chip will give you significant hp gains on a stock setup.
At the most it will give you the best you can get with stock. With no mods it will find those 2-5 horses lost on your stock chip for some reason.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

save your money unless you have significant mods.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM
IBVETN2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK

And for GOD'S SAKE! Dont waste your money on a Hyper-Tech
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
alterchristopher
Instructor

I would say wait for mods but if your set on it I recomend pcmforless I went from 13.6 to 13.1 and a increase with mpg had them tweak my cooling fans temp turn the vats stuff off ect
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
And the panel is in unanimous agreement.

Software/firmware wise, these motors are about as good as they are going to get. You need tunes to use performance upgrades. No performance upgrades = pretty much no gain from tune.

I asked this question when I joined as well. I think most of us have that bug in their head.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I like LAYS chips myself.

Much better investment than a [non] performance chip.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I could not find any "speed chips" at the grocery store for some reason?? damn, what is a speed chip anyway?? Caffeine induced chips perhaps? Are they better than Doritos??
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by navy_vette
No performance upgrades = pretty much no gain from tune.
Actually, that's not entirely true.

My 86e's overall performance was greatly enhanced with a PCMforless tune.
IMO the factory tune on these first gen FI engines were not the most efficient.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Actually, that's not entirely true.

My 86e's overall performance was greatly enhanced with a PCMforless tune.
IMO the factory tune on these first gen FI engines were not the most efficient.

No offense, but I'd want to see the dyno results on that. It is human nature to want a tune (or anything else we do or buy) to succeed. In addition, there are things that tuners can do do increase the "seat of the pants" feel, but don't really make the car faster. The GM engineers that developed this engine were pretty sharp, and every hp was worth a bunch in sales appeal. They didn't leave much on the table.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been to dyno days (just 1 actually) where Bryan Herter showed up to tune cars. I have seen 10-25 horsepower from the time he started the tune until he finished. GM has to allow for variances in the builds and so they tune conservatively. These engines do like timing and proper fuel calibrations. Factory GM calibrations are geared towards emissions and running different fuels available nationally.

One state may have 91 octane, another 93 octane some with ethanol...some not. The engines have to run on everything as tuned from the factory. Sure, some items produce a SOTP increase because the pressures are increased in the transmission. These pressure changes will usually make for a firmer shift and hence a "feeling" that you are going faster.

Of course anytime you do many mods to the engine the tune becomes even more important and gains could be greater. I guess the reality is that if these tunes didn't work at all then nobody would get them. I don't like to waste my money and I'm certain no one else does either. Yet.....many people continue to get tunes based on word of mouth from happy customers. Of course that's just IMHO but my two old eyeballs have seen a difference.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1963SS
I have been to dyno days (just 1 actually) where Bryan Herter showed up to tune cars. I have seen 10-25 horsepower from the time he started the tune until he finished. GM has to allow for variances in the builds and so they tune conservatively. These engines do like timing and proper fuel calibrations. Factory GM calibrations are geared towards emissions and running different fuels available nationally.

One state may have 91 octane, another 93 octane some with ethanol...some not. The engines have to run on everything as tuned from the factory. Sure, some items produce a SOTP increase because the pressures are increased in the transmission. These pressure changes will usually make for a firmer shift and hence a "feeling" that you are going faster.
Yes. a custom tune dialed in for just your car has more room for improvement, especially if you are willing to give up ability to use lower octane, maybe increased emissions, etc. But still, probably not much improvement coming from a "off the shelf" chip.

Sure, some items produce a SOTP increase because the pressures are increased in the transmission. These pressure changes will usually make for a firmer shift and hence a "feeling" that you are going faster.
I have heard that they can also increase the amount of fuel delivered for a given amount of pedal movement, making it seem faster/stronger at half throttle. for instance, but no real difference at WOT.

I guess the reality is that if these tunes didn't work at all then nobody would get them.
Not to get too far off topic, but a lot of people swear by Astrology.

At least, that is my take, and it's worth every cent you paid for it.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed Chips. Munching right now.

I don't think anyone will disagree that there will be SOME performance increase. Honestly, I think you'll get a max 10 HP off a tune. If you have an L98, that might be slightly noticeable, but not by much.

I have always believed that the most fun for your money is in the suspension. You can save up your money and spend it on a sport suspension package for UNDER 2K. For me, the true driving is always in the corners. Big motor builds cost big $$$.

I've been looking at this bad boy for awhile now.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by markKlein
No offense, but I'd want to see the dyno results on that. It is human nature to want a tune (or anything else we do or buy) to succeed. In addition, there are things that tuners can do do increase the "seat of the pants" feel, but don't really make the car faster. The GM engineers that developed this engine were pretty sharp, and every hp was worth a bunch in sales appeal. They didn't leave much on the table.
Car & Driver/Road & Tracks, road tests from the 1986 reports had this car doing the quarter in 14.2. I clocked a 13.98 after the tune. That's with a stock setup and 120k on the clock.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Car & Driver/Road & Tracks, road tests from the 1986 reports had this car doing the quarter in 14.2. I clocked a 13.98 after the tune. That's with a stock setup and 120k on the clock.
Well....You know what NASCAR says: The car runs the fastest when its loose and about ready to blow! Seriously, Comparing numbers from one car to another -- especially w/o knowing the temp/humidity/pressure -- isn't a very good comparison.

If the AYPY bins (downloadable from TunerPro) are representative of what's really loaded into L98's, I wouldn't call their tunes conservative. Timing is very aggressive with some numbers high enough I wonder if the KS is pulling timing on a regular basis. And, the fuel is rich enough (for WOT) that the AFR targets get down in the 10's.

When a good tuner gets ahold of this "overcooked" tune (IMO), I can see where there is room for improvement. As we get heavier into the use of ethanol, richer is becoming better though. It's possible for the KS to pull more timing that necessary though. By getting the timing set where it should be (vs too much) can produce better results. That's what I think you've seen. But, this isn't something a chip can fix. It would need to be tuned with the fuel normally loaded in the tank -- under similar conditions to how it's driven.

In the summer, I bet the timing would benefit from different settings than the winter. With a TPI, you can be more aggressive in the lower rpms to get a quick surge -- or -- you can be somewhat less aggressive to get a more linear feel. As long as it's not pinging, what you get is really what's possible (for the dynamics of your setup).
Old 09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Well....Comparing numbers from one car to another -- especially w/o knowing the temp/humidity/pressure -- isn't a very good comparison.
Whatever........ it aint a perfect world

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 09-18-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I compared BINS from a ADS superchip (that was in my car when I bought it), and a stock 1F BIN. The only diff was advanced timing on one table in a few spots (i forget what it was) and the idle was bumped up from 650 to 750. Not worth the 200 bucks it probably cost new. Now, a reworked BIN by someone who knows what they are doing on a dyno would be a different story IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To speed chips

Quick Reply: speed chips